X

Thoughts on this helmet...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on this helmet...

Im looking to buy a helmet for my girlfriend. She wont be on the bike often, and only as a passenger. Im looking to spend less than $100.

What do you think about this helmet? She wants pink, so that narrows em down a little. It is SNELL and DOT approved, but only $25 and got good reviews.

What are your thoughts?

If you plan on doing long trips, I'd have her try helmets on first. You know, after 150 miles, she'll be biatchin' about the crappy fit of the helmet, and the fact that you won't spend more than a hundy on her

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

$25? Go for it. If she bitches about it tell her to go buy her own then.
      "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

Originally posted by 1FSTKAT View Post
        lol classy

but fit IS absolutely important. if'n it doesn't fit her properly, it's not going to do her any good in the event of a crash.
        and let's face it, a less-than-alive-gf is less-than-exciting-in-the-sack
        the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
        # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
        [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

Originally posted by 1FSTKAT View Post
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

read up on sizing for the helmet, measure her head and go for it. I bought an agv online just following their fitting guide and a sewing tape measure...
            95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
            Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
            ---
            I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

Originally posted by kat_kitten View Post
              ...let's face it, a less-than-alive-gf is less-than-exciting-in-the-sack

I'd say give it a try but be prepared to upgrade to a nicer helmet if she starts riding more. As long as it fits (Have her try it on with a do-rag to keep her from getting helmet-hair) then it'll provide protection. (DOT and SNELL ratings is pretty good and that's a darn good price.) Start setting cash aside now though to buy her an upgrade if she starts spending more time on the bike with you or griping about the helmet. You could even surprise her with it and a line about how the first helmet is plenty safe but you want her comfortable, too because you care...
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

m'kay...

maybe this is just me, but... i would be just as, if not more, concerned with her safety while she's just a part-time passenger... i think that's when chit's gonna be the sketchiest...

** edit - not saying this isn't a good lid, I know nothing about it, but it's more of a response to the idea of 'buy her a better one when she decides to pillion more often"
                Last edited by kat_kitten; 01-04-2011, 05:45 PM.
                the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
                # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
                [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

Find a local bike shop, and try helmets on. If the helmet you buy for her doesn't fit comfortably she won't like wearing it.

A helmet that doesn't fit correctly is pointless anyway.

After you find a brand that fits, head over to revzilla.com or newenough.com

The small size helmets usually go on clearance in the early spring when the new stock starts rolling in.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Oh definately. I mean if she is riding with me very often, then I would definaetly buy another one thats better. This is her first time riding on a bike, I dont even know if she will like it and dont see her on it often at all.
                    I only have an HJC cl-16, which isnt a top of the line helmet. Moneys tight so I thought this would be decent enough for this coming season.

One thing Im afraid of is the sizing. All the reviews say it runs small, her head measures 21 inches which corresponds to an X-small. But if the helmet runs small, and she has a head of hair, then should I get the small??

Comment

DOT and Snell approved...... right colour..... the right price.... for someone who may not even like to go 2-up??????...... I'd do it. Follow the sizing charts, when it gets in either you measured wrong, or she has a swelled head.....or you're dating a chipmunk. ..... then you may have to find another gf with a better fit.
                      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                      ------------------------------------------
                      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by kat_kitten View Post
                        m'kay...

maybe this is just me, but... i would be just as, if not more, concerned with her safety while she's just a part-time passenger... i think that's when chit's gonna be the sketchiest...

** edit - not saying this isn't a good lid, I know nothing about it, but it's more of a response to the idea of 'buy her a better one when she decides to pillion more often"
                        KK, I think you're reading too much into this. Safety-wise there isn't any real difference between a cheap helmet and an expensive one so long as they both meet the same standards. The difference is in the comfort level. I take my boys riding occasionally and as a dad, I can tell you that I'd rather have them in a cheap SNELL/DOT helmet than a really nice, flashy but non-certified one.
                        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyZ View Post
                          Oh definately. I mean if she is riding with me very often, then I would definaetly buy another one thats better. This is her first time riding on a bike, I dont even know if she will like it and dont see her on it often at all.
                          I only have an HJC cl-16, which isnt a top of the line helmet. Moneys tight so I thought this would be decent enough for this coming season.

One thing Im afraid of is the sizing. All the reviews say it runs small, her head measures 21 inches which corresponds to an X-small. But if the helmet runs small, and she has a head of hair, then should I get the small??
                          i have an AFX helmet. the quality is adequate. it's easier to make a helmet "smaller" than it is to make it larger. a do-rag or whatever. at that price you can't go wrong.
                          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                            KK, I think you're reading too much into this. Safety-wise there isn't any real difference between a cheap helmet and an expensive one so long as they both meet the same standards. The difference is in the comfort level. I take my boys riding occasionally and as a dad, I can tell you that I'd rather have them in a cheap SNELL/DOT helmet than a really nice, flashy but non-certified one.
                            I agree with the statement, however an ill-fitting helmet doesn't protect in the same fashion as one that fits correctly.

The $30 Bell from Pep Boys tests as good as the $500 Shoei. One I'm willing to keep on my head for 10 hours, the other I'm not
                            -Steve

sigpic
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Pro tip: Don't crash and you won't need a helmet.
                              "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

Working...
                              X