X

Need some suggestions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some suggestions

So I am looking for some suggestions on some new gear. First off I need a new helmet. I currently have an AFX FX-90, which I like but would like one that is a little bit quieter, the AFX is really noisy at highway speeds.

Second, I am looking to get a motorcycle chock for the bed of my pickup. I am leaning towards this harbor freight one, http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-97841.html, especially since its on sale now. Just curious if anyone has any experience with any other ones that might be better.

Thanks

What's your budget on the helmet?

On the HF stand...
    I have that stand. It's nice, but the feet are plastic so the stand will slide around when you're trying to push the bike into it. I replaced the plastic feet with some rubber stoppers that I drilled out and bolted on. It helps some but still isnt great. If the stand is sitting up against the front of the bed, you should be fine since the bed should prevent it from moving.

Comment

I use that HF chock in my trailer and on my HF table stand. I have no issues with them moving because I bolted them in place.

Comment

I think I'm gonna get this choke for my lift table, one less step to getting my maintenance on I've become more of a fan in the last year or two of HF, the quality has really increased!
        Last edited by niqbales; 12-01-2010, 06:44 PM. Reason: Spelling
        95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
        Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
        ---
        I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

the chock is a good on got it on my trailer. and as far as helmet you should firue out a budget, i know where you can get a scorpion exo400 (great helmet) for 60 bux, or an exo 700 for 100, but you can also get and arai or shoei for 700.

Comment

After going through some pretty good helmets, I finally got this Shoei, wondering the whole time it was being delivered if I had done the right thing...I tried it on and after the first ride, realized that I had. It fits great, is comfortable, is high quality, and is fairly quiet. I recommend it.

Shoei Rife 1100

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Shoei helmets, there are no other helmets.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

When it comes to helmets, your best bet is going to head to your local shop and try a whole bunch on. I know guys who love their Nolans, HJCs and Who-sie-whatsits. Me, I love my Shoei. None of the others have fit me quite right.The level of protection you get from an inexpensive helmet is just as good as what you'll get from a premium helmet. The difference is the comfort. Shoeis and Arais are nicer to wear for hours at a time but if an HJC is all your budget can handle then that's OK, too.

Bottom line is to get the most comfortable helmet you can afford. Make sure it doesn't leave you with a 'hot spot' (A pressure point that'll end up giving you a screaming headache after an hour or so.) and make sure it fits you well. If you shake your head and it moves then it's too big. If you feel like it's cramming your cheeks together then it's too small. You'll probably find that one brand's large (or medium or XL or whatever) fits you better than the same size from another brand. Get the one that's right for you.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                  When it comes to helmets, your best bet is going to head to your local shop and try a whole bunch on. I know guys who love their Nolans, HJCs and Who-sie-whatsits. Me, I love my Shoei. None of the others have fit me quite right.The level of protection you get from an inexpensive helmet is just as good as what you'll get from a premium helmet. The difference is the comfort. Shoeis and Arais are nicer to wear for hours at a time but if an HJC is all your budget can handle then that's OK, too.

Bottom line is to get the most comfortable helmet you can afford. Make sure it doesn't leave you with a 'hot spot' (A pressure point that'll end up giving you a screaming headache after an hour or so.) and make sure it fits you well. If you shake your head and it moves then it's too big. If you feel like it's cramming your cheeks together then it's too small. You'll probably find that one brand's large (or medium or XL or whatever) fits you better than the same size from another brand. Get the one th

at's right for you.
                  This is sage information. In my case there are few local dealers due to our remoteness. Therefore I took a chance and ordered my Shoei one size larger and got it right. You can find pretty decent online prices at places like Motorcycle Superstore for example. If you can find the type of helmet you want but can't find the style, it would be a good idea to try on one of the same brand in the store to learn your size and then order the style of your choice.

BTW...I will say that my previous helmet was the HJC Symax II which was modular (the entire face was hinged and lifted up...very handy, and it also had internal shades that would slide down from the top...it's a good helmet too).
                  Last edited by zuma; 12-01-2010, 09:56 PM. Reason: snakebite...totally unexpected and unwarranted to boot

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

On the budget for the helmet its kinda open. I really liked my AFX, the only problem was that it was a bit load on the highway. I think I'm going to get that chock especially sine I can bolt it down to my bed rails.

Comment

I cant remeber for sure but always get a DOT or there are some even stricter Levels of protection out there,(or better certified), you can get a "cheap" helmet thats not worth anything as far as protection goes.

Also there are sites like Bike Bandit and others you can get some great deals.
                      Do or do not, there is no Try...
                      -Master Yoda

Current Bike; 2005 Katana 750

Comment

Good article on relative safety of different priced helmets:
                        Motorcyclist, America’s First motorcycle magazine, publishes new and used motorcycle reviews, bike news, and riding tips for riders that love to ride motorcycles!

Well worth the time to read.
                        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

wear earplugs. cuts noise and allows better concentration.
                          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
                            wear earplugs. cuts noise and allows better concentration.
                            Good advice for long-distance cruising I'm not sure what the laws are there, but up here helmets have to be SNELL approved for the track, and my Zox is, whereas my HJC isn't. They both have a great fit though.
                            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                            ------------------------------------------
                            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I ended up getting a Shoei RF1100, and it seems a lot better than my old AFX, the true test will be when I go riding once it warms up

Comment

Working...
                              X