Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

What's the best way to clean a mirrored visor?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best way to clean a mirrored visor?

I just got a mirrored visor from the bike shop today,I like the way it looks But i was wondering what's the best way to clean it and keep sctatches to a minimum?
    97 TL1000S,K&N filter,Micron exaust cans,Ceramic coated headers (black),Air box mod,+2 Rear sprocket ,Chrome Rims,Metzeler M1 tires,Polished Chain Guard,Heel Guards,Clutch and Brake Levers and Brake arm

uuuhhhh...thanks.....I guess.......
    97 TL1000S,K&N filter,Micron exaust cans,Ceramic coated headers (black),Air box mod,+2 Rear sprocket ,Chrome Rims,Metzeler M1 tires,Polished Chain Guard,Heel Guards,Clutch and Brake Levers and Brake arm

Comment

for ANY visor....use ordinary dish soap...about a dimes worth....rub onto shield (which has been removed from your lid) and coat the entire surfacewith a thin film using your fingertips only.

allow the crud to soften (a few seconds is all that it takes) then using warm water....rinse off as you rub the surface with your fingertips.

Dry with a clean cloth that you ONLY use to clean your visor and

VOILA

carefull with your fingernails....and FYI....NEVER use any windex or other crap like that.

Paper towels are another no-no

believe it or not...ordinary newspaper is the best to use on windows...it NEVER scratches.

Comment

I agree with Range except for the paper towel comment. I use paper towels to dry my visor, but I do drag the towel across the visor. Instead I just pat it dry.

Comment

The best way that I have used (still not a scratch on the my new visor I bought about 2.5 months ago) is this:

Get a wet hand towel and just lay it on the visor for like 10 or 15 minutes.

Then I get a micro fiber glass towel and gently wipe it dry.

Looks like the day I bought it afterwards.
          2002 R1
          Yoshi TRS exhaust, Undertail, Ohlins Steering Stabilizer, Dark Windshield, Frame Sliders.

Comment

I like using old holey socks as visor rags . I wash them first , of course .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Thanks for the tips,I appreciate it.

Comment

I put a paper towel that is wet over the visor to soften the bugs. Then wipe it dry with e clean terry towel.

My second shield does not have a scratch on it except for where md pushed down my shield wih his gloves while at the gap.
                Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

These all sound great if your at home. What if your on the road and have bugs galore to get off so you can see well enough to ride. Then what do you guys do?

Oh, and I agree about the smoke visor instead of the tinted ones. I've had to replace three on my new Icon I've only had for 4 months.
                  -Tony
                  AMA #602868

Comment

Originally posted by zleviticus
                    My second shield does not have a scratch on it except for where md pushed down my shield wih his gloves while at the gap.
                    Wait a minute , what now ?
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by Rider4life
                      What if your on the road and have bugs galore to get off so you can see well enough to ride. Then what do you guys do?
                      With my old tinted one (only scratch it ever got was from sliding face first down the road) I kept a pack of baby wipes under my seat. They soften the bugs up (although they are still reasonably soft and fresh), and then any streaky watery type stuff just evaporates off. Never had a problem.

My new helmet is black, so I got a dark smoked visor instead of the old blue one. My wife still has her yellow one which she has had for ages, and it has no scratches or marks on it.
                      fulcrum (aka David)
                      Blue 2004 GSX750F
                      Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.--Isaac Asimov
                      If you can keep your head, while all around you are losing theirs, then you probably aren't grasping the situation

Crash virginity lost: March 6th 2005

Comment

Soft cloth and warm soap and water. They will scratch very easy so just go ahead and by a high optic yellow, optic blue one, or a tinted one and save you the heart aches.
                        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

well,I've been cleaning it with a soaked wet paper towel (towel placed on visor for 10 mins then removed),Then i gently wipe with a scotch brite high performance cleaning cloth that i got from the optomotrist to clean my eyeglasses with,I use this cloth to clean my clear lens with and it doesen't have any scratches (neither does my eyeglasses)so i'm hopeing for the best.

Comment

Working...
                          X