X

does my helmet suck?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does my helmet suck?

i picked up 2 helmets off craigslist for 30 dollars..it was a very low price. they are full faced. i beleive they are hjc, because i found the almost EXACT same looking helmets on clist for 150. you can see them here:

my helmets look exactly like that, but the middle decals have been peeled off. so they dont have a brand on them anywhere.

the question at hand is do they suck. i ask this because sometimes while driving @ 65mph on my way to work, i can barely hold my eyes open because there is so much air flowing towards my eyes. i wear glasses but they dont help much. i try moving the little flaps at the top and bottom of the helmet and blocking them with my hand, but it doesnt seem to help much. the flaps just flop around (that sounds a little odd doesnt it?)

any opinions? could it be the shield? they snap into place fine and look to make a good seal. ive never worn another helmet besided the open faced one i started out with, just curious if i should look for a new helmet or just man up.

thanks!
    Originally posted by Slofuze:
    Some people simply talk sh*t because they don't know what they're talking about. Unfortunately, they reproduce.....and why we have sh*t all around us.

sounds like u can use a aftermarket windscreen or a laminar lip. may no be the helmet's problem...

Comment

Not sure bro. If you've never tried a full faced helmet before maybe you just need some time to get used to it. I've got an HJC-CL15 and it flows a lot of air, but never to the point where I can't keep my eyes open. I'm sure others will chime in, but maybe try to borrow a friends helmet and compare and then you will find you answer comparing the two. One more thought, is the neck molding/stripping (not sure the proper term) in place?

Comment

From your own description it sounds like they suck.
        I've had an HJC fg-12 and never had the problem you describe, 99% of the time I ride with my visor cracked open 1/4 inch . Even at 85mph I haven't had that problem with my hjc, kbc vr-1 or my current exo-1000.

Are you sure your visors are installed correctly?
        Kyle

Comment

new helmet even a cheep one that's snell and dot approved wont cost an arm and a leg and its your brain that's being protected
          voting member of the 750 kat as your first bike club

94 750 katana (my prechuuuusssss)
          82 1100 goldwing interstate (maybe a replacement for the kat)
          83 650 Yamaha maxim (will run some day)

Comment

GMAX/HJC/SCORPION none of the issues either.

Originally posted by woobie View Post
            From your own description it sounds like they suck.
            I've had an HJC fg-12 and never had the problem you describe, 99% of the time I ride with my visor cracked open 1/4 inch . Even at 85mph I haven't had that problem with my hjc, kbc vr-1 or my current exo-1000.

Are you sure your visors are installed correctly?
            sigpic

'95 Kat 600 (Sold)
            '10 BMW S1000RR (aka Black Betty)(Totaled)
            '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

In ur thinky box, steeelin ur dumz

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Comment

Originally posted by dragoncutlery View Post
              new helmet even a cheep one that's snell and dot approved wont cost an arm and a leg and its your brain that's being protected

Very true you can pickup some very safe and good quailty helmets for as low as $100 and once in a while a quality close out or last years model for even less. Its hard to put a price on you brain.
              Richard
              96 Suzuki GSX750F
              89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
              05 Yamaha WR450F
              05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

I guess the old saying comes into play here, "you get what you pay for" I mean I ride only with ICON helmets because they tend to fit the shape of my head the best. i did try an arai once but 850 for a helmet is a little outta my price range. I mean look at it this way, You dont see any Superbike racers out there wearing HJC CL15 helmets even tho they are dot snell approved. They were arai's shoei's Shark's, AGV's, and other high quality helmets. If they trust their head to a helmet topping bikes out at over 200mph, the helmet must be good. Im not saying spend almost a grand for a helmet, but sometimes you can find really good deals on quality helmets like arais and shoeis. the moto shop down the road from me is selling closeout arai's for more than 60% off. 800$ helmets for like $300. I think the extra cash is worth the comfort knowing your head will be protected.
                Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                Current Bikes:
                1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Wearing a used helmet is the same as wearing used underwear, IMO compromised at best. I throw away a helmet if it falls off the seat of my bike, regardless of price, it's compromised, and I don't want it on my head if I crash.

Comment

Originally posted by superbike View Post
                    Wearing a used helmet is the same as wearing used underwear, IMO compromised at best. I throw away a helmet if it falls off the seat of my bike, regardless of price, it's compromised, and I don't want it on my head if I crash.
                    Good Advise. Many people don't understand that even a minor impact can
                    effect even the best helmet and comprimise them internally.
                    Better safe the sorry!!
                    Richard
                    96 Suzuki GSX750F
                    89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
                    05 Yamaha WR450F
                    05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

Depends... Arai rep stated on Jay Leno's garage that their lids are not "comprimised" from low level falls, providing a mellon isn't in the lid. A fall off the seat wouldn't dammage the protective nature of the helmet. Just sayin.

I can't find the video, it WAS posted on this site a while ago. I was supprised to hear that myself though.

Found it.

Find content from CNBC and the NBCUniversal family of networks on NBC.com!

Originally posted by superbike View Post
                      Last edited by depths_of_mind; 05-29-2010, 08:07 AM.
                      sigpic

'95 Kat 600 (Sold)
                      '10 BMW S1000RR (aka Black Betty)(Totaled)
                      '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

In ur thinky box, steeelin ur dumz

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Comment

Good video, Arai is a good helmet. "Back in the day", as we older types like to say, we had a saying...If you have a $5.00 dollar head, buy a $5.00 dollar helmet". Well needless to say I think a little more of my head than to try and protect it with a helmet I know little if anything about, purchased off "Craigs List". I can't come up with a video to backup My Opinion, but at least in my case, once the helmet hits the floor, I'm done using it.

Comment

As far as I understand, helmets are designed to crack (on the inside) upon impact, and once they're cracked they do not offer enough protection to ride safely and should be discarded. This includes a drop from 4-6 feet. Then again, this is mostly hearsay...

IMO you don't know the history behind those helmets, there was probably a reason they were so cheap, if I were you I'd buy a brand new helmet for a couple hundred dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by depths_of_mind View Post
                            Depends... Arai rep stated on Jay Leno's garage that their lids are not "comprimised" from low level falls, providing a mellon isn't in the lid. A fall off the seat wouldn't dammage the protective nature of the helmet. Just sayin.

I can't find the video, it WAS posted on this site a while ago. I was supprised to hear that myself though.

Found it.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...elmets/283819/
                            Great vid! Thanks for sharing.
                            He did say in the case of an "Arai Helmet", dropping it off the bike s not a problem because it is only reacting to itself and not to a 13lb head inside. He was specific not to include other brands.
                            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                            Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                            R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                            1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                            RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                            3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                            Black painted seat and rear trim,
                            Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Go Arai!!!!!!
                              Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                              Current Bikes:
                              1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                              2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Working...
                              X