No announcement yet.
X

Heated gear... need some suggestions...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have First Gear heated jacket and gloves works great. The jacket is more a liner that you can put into jacket. Which ever system you get go with a dual control system my gloves are always set higher than the jacket.

Comment

You might check out Warm & Safe Heated Clothing, they make heated liners, gloves, and the Heat-Troller electronic controllers. Excellent products and also customer service. I've got one of their liners, plus a controller for my heated grips.
      Tony
      1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Sports Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page

Comment

Tom,
        The Gerbings is great stuff... and works really well. The Sprint came pre-wired with a powerlet out let and I'm good to go.

But one word of advice from the master-touring guys I've spoken to... make SURE you have a backup plan in case of electrical failure with either the garment, or your bike.

/aside on a job interview a few years ago in San Diego, I had to explain heated gear to the real estate agent I met with. She didn't believe such a thing existed
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I've got the tourmaster gloves, they work great. Why you need them at 60 degrees is beyond me, but whatever.

One thing that sets the tourmasters apart is that they have ceramic heating elements. You don't get the wire based hot spots that you get with some other brands of gear. Not to mention they come with the controller instead of having to buy one in addition to the gloves. With mine, I've ridden down to 8 degrees for two seasons in a row and my hands are always comfy. If it's more than about 45 - 50 out, my hands get too hot even on the low setting.

If it's just the chills that your trying to stop, I don't think you will be best served by expensive gloves and jacket liners. I'd suggest you try adding a polar fleece jacket under you leather, throw in a neck gaiter, and see how well that gets you warmed up. For about 30 bucks, you'll find a surprising difference in how warm you stay. I couldn't believe how much a difference the neck gaiter made.

Remember the old MayWest life jackets that WWII pilots wore, the top of that contraption was designed to keep the top of the shoulders and neck out of the water in case they went down in the sea. What the Navy found out was that if you could keep the back of pilot's neck and shoulders elevated out of the water, survivability goes way up. Reason is, you loose a ton of body heat from there. Same theory applies with the neck gaiter. You keep the wind from stripping away the body heat, and it takes more exposure before you start to get chilled.

Without the fleece under layer and the neck protection, I'm not comfortable much below the low 50's. With just those two pieces, and a mesh jacket for impact protection, I'll ride into the lower forties before I pull out the heated gloves.

Then again... people frequently call me either eccentric or bat **** crazy for the weather I'll ride in.

Comment

Originally posted by Novelldude View Post
            I've got the tourmaster gloves, they work great. Why you need them at 60 degrees is beyond me, but whatever.

One thing that sets the tourmasters apart is that they have ceramic heating elements. You don't get the wire based hot spots that you get with some other brands of gear. Not to mention they come with the controller instead of having to buy one in addition to the gloves. With mine, I've ridden down to 8 degrees for two seasons in a row and my hands are always comfy. If it's more than about 45 - 50 out, my hands get too hot even on the low setting.

If it's just the chills that your trying to stop, I don't think you will be best served by expensive gloves and jacket liners. I'd suggest you try adding a polar fleece jacket under you leather, throw in a neck gaiter, and see how well that gets you warmed up. For about 30 bucks, you'll find a surprising difference in how warm you stay. I couldn't believe how much a difference the neck gaiter made.

Remember the old MayWest life jackets that WWII pilots wore, the top of that contraption was designed to keep the top of the shoulders and neck out of the water in case they went down in the sea. What the Navy found out was that if you could keep the back of pilot's neck and shoulders elevated out of the water, survivability goes way up. Reason is, you loose a ton of body heat from there. Same theory applies with the neck gaiter. You keep the wind from stripping away the body heat, and it takes more exposure before you start to get chilled.

Without the fleece under layer and the neck protection, I'm not comfortable much below the low 50's. With just those two pieces, and a mesh jacket for impact protection, I'll ride into the lower forties before I pull out the heated gloves.

Then again... people frequently call me either eccentric or bat **** crazy for the weather I'll ride in.

It's not for SoCal, it's for road trips.
            sigpic

Comment

Get heated gear!

Originally posted by tdrcomm View Post
              Looking to buy a heated jacket and gloves. Any suggestions and recommendations?
              I live in Wershington where it can get friggin cold(im from LA). I have the First Gear 90watt heated jacket liner and the heated gloves with carbon fiber knucks with the dual heat troller. For a while I kept burning out gloves no matter what I did. So I finally did the math on how many Amps the jacket and gloves needed and ran a smaller fuse and never had any problems since. They give you a 15 amp fuse but my setup only used 9 point something amps so I just ran a 10 amp fuse.

Ive riddin i all kinds of weather(just look at my facebook pics) From goin over snoqualmie pass while it was snowing to daily rides to school(25 miles each way) in washington rain. You stay nice and tasty the whole time. The gloves even have a wiper for when it gets too crazy for just rain-x. As long as you have a nice rain liner on to keep the wind off you and a thermal under the heated liner then your golden. Its like cheating because it makes the unbearable parts of rideing nice. So now when I have the itch to go ride I dont have to worry about not being able to properly control my bike because im either too bundled up or I cant feel my hands. Honestly its pretty expensive, but its definitly worth it. The money you save on gas from ridin you can put towards the heated gear. Best money that my wife has ever spent on my spoiled ***.
              Takeing blowing up porta potties to a whole new level!!!
              sigpic

Comment

+1 on the neck gaiter, I ride in Canada, I know what I'm talking about. Pulled the bike out of the igloo the other day and left the dog sled at home.

I really want to do something for heated gloves too though, my hands are by far the first thing for stopping me in the cold. I do also find that the warmer you can keep your core, the warmer your extremities stay.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmerritt View Post
                  +1 on the neck gaiter, I ride in Canada, I know what I'm talking about. Pulled the bike out of the igloo the other day and left the dog sled at home.

I really want to do something for heated gloves too though, my hands are by far the first thing for stopping me in the cold. I do also find that the warmer you can keep your core, the warmer your extremities stay.
                  Tell me aboot it, When it gets that cold out it feels like your nails are aboot to fall off! dontcha know
                  sigpic

Comment

Sorry, I'm western Canadian, I think the "Aboot" thing is distinctly eastern Canadian.

Cold hands suck!

Comment

Sorry, I'm western Canadian, I think the "Aboot" thing is distinctly eastern Canadian.

Cold hands suck!
                      Haha, Its all the same to us americans who've never been up nort. And yes the do. Thats why I begged my wife for the heated gear. (im going to school full time and Spend all my school money on bike parts for my dirt bikes and kat) Im actually modding my 93 kat with wider triples from a 98 kat and putting the swing arm and wider rear tire from the 98 on my bike. Even put the centerstand off an 06 750. bolted right up!
                      sigpic

Comment

It's not for SoCal, it's for road trips.

Next time... say so.

Coast Guard SAR teams have developed a glove like thing that goes all the way up to your shoulder. They use it for people they've pulled out of the ocean after long times of exposure. What they found is if you can get the extremities warmed up, the core returns to proper temp much faster than if you try to heat just the core.

I use the heated gloves to serve much the same purpose for me when I'm in the cold. If I can keep the hands from getting cold, I can generally speaking keep the rest of me warm.

Whole get up works kind of a double wammy. Use layers to keep the heat from leaving, the electrics to replace what I can't keep from escaping.

When I'm riding in single digits, the layers go like this:
                        Jeans and shirt
                        Carhart coveralls
                        polar fleece jacket
                        polar fleece neck gaiter
                        thin windbreaker
                        mesh jacket with armor (working on getting leather for next season)
                        electric gloves

On really nasty mornings, I have a heated visor for my g-max helm to keep the fogging at bay.

Hope it helps someone.
                        ND
                        Last edited by Novelldude; 03-23-2010, 06:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Looking to buy a heated jacket and gloves. Any suggestions and recommendations?

I have a the Widder vest and gloves. They have served me well for years riding in the winter. I will normally commute down to 10-15 degrees if there is no ice on the roads and dont have a problem getting cold. This year was an exception because of all the snow we had in PA. Didnt do much winter riding this year.

IMO, the Gerbing heated gear is higher quality than the Widder and is what I will buy when mine needs to be replaced. I've worn Gerbing gear a few times and like a number of the features better than the Widder stuff. Not downing Widder's products. I've had mine for 6 yrs or so and it will last quite a few more seasons.

My wife asked me, "Why don't you make love to me like they do in the movies?" So I did and she got mad. Evidently we don't watch the same type of movies.

Comment

Just saw this and thought of you, Tom:

"Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Originally posted by VifferJim View Post
                              Just saw this and thought of you, Tom:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/i...le-arms-sz-44/

Rats! That's a pretty good deal but I really want a collar and need a 46 (long freakin' arms).

Keep bringing on the suggestions, guys. I have the all-weather suit, I just need the heated gear to
                              make my long-distance riding as light as possible. Also looking for a nice backpack with a waist strap.
                              sigpic

Comment

I just bought the complete outfit from
                                Canadian made Freedom Heated Clothing designed for comfort and durability is a must have for every motorcyclist. Heated vests, jacket liners, gloves and chap liners built to last.

wife bought the same set after trying mine!
                                89 kat 750
                                2X 85 fz 750
                                03 1100 v-star
                                86 fz600 gawd I love this bike!!

Comment

Working...
                                X