Buying first jacket

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying first jacket

So I got a katana today.

I live in the Houston Tx, so it is EXTREMELY HOTTT outside. Yesterday with the heat index it was 109 degrees. I refuse to ride without a jacket, but I need something with exceptional ventilation.

Anyone have some decent tips for what to choose?

Thanks.

mesh

Comment

There are lots of mesh jackets on the market that will do great. I'm not too far from you, in Oklahoma and I feel your pain. I have a Cortech GX and this spring I took the liner out and unzipped all the vents... still baked like an oven. So I ran out and picked up a mesh jacket and I'm much more comfy.

The one I got was on sale and honestly I hate it - it's an AGX Sport. Looks great but the padding in the arms feels like it's always in the wrong place, it's too tight in the chest and too big in the arms. Still, it's way more comfy than my touring jacket. Just go to some shops and try a few on. Be picky too!
      Originally posted by katanawarrior
      I keep coming here because of the smileys, really.

Comment

Check out Joe Rocket Pheonix 4.0 or 5.0 series, they are great

Comment

My advice is to buy a jacket that fits tight. Most people buy gear at least one size too big and end up coming out of it in a wreck. A lot of people like to wear their clothes loose, so tight riding gear is going to feel really weird at first, but you'll get used to it.

Your jacket should be tight without restricting your movement. You need to be able to hold your arms out in front of you, and turn all the way around. As long as you can do that, then you're good to go. You also don't want anything flapping in the breeze. It's distracting, and acts like a sail too. Most mesh jackets come with snaps on the sleeves so you can tighten them up additionally. If there is a waist adjustment strap, make sure it is good and tight as well.

Also, the jacket comes with a zipper in the bottom of the back. Be sure to sew the other half of that zipper onto your riding pants. My brother got MAJOR road rash when he high sided and the back of his jacket rode up.

When your gear fits properly it works much better in the event of a wreck.

Comment

Originally posted by ATOMonkey View Post

Also, the jacket comes with a zipper in the bottom of the back. Be sure to sew the other half of that zipper onto your riding pants. My brother got MAJOR road rash when he high sided and the back of his jacket rode up.

When your gear fits properly it works much better in the event of a wreck.

Thanks for that advice!

Comment

Great advice.
              What used to scare me is now only mildly interesting

Comment

Originally posted by ATOMonkey View Post
                My advice is to buy a jacket that fits tight. Most people buy gear at least one size too big
                very true but most buy big and grow into it.

Comment

I like my Joe Rocker Alter Ego jacket... Great for the summer or winter..
                  Talk about droppin your bike.... How about droppin it off the trailer bringing it home from the dealer with 1 mile on it.. Yep that's me...

Comment

I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket that I'm trying to sell. I wore it in the hot Texas summers a couple of summers and now I live in Ohio and don't need is as bad. I have another jacket that I prefer to wear. The jacket is red and black and size large. Let me know if you are interested.
                    1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

I have the Fieldsheer Congo Sport mesh for summer use. I like it and it keeps me cooler in the 95+ degrees days.
                      If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

I have 2 jackets, both Joe Rocket. When i lived in Bama I had to get a mesh because the textile jacket I had just wasn't enough ventilation. I really like the fit and quality of the Joe Rocket products. They also usually have quite a varitiy of styles to choose from.
                        Kan-O-Gixxer!
                        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                        -Ohlins Susupension
                        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Ya I have a Joe Rocket and it is wicked. Found it a a bike show for half price and even though I usually ride in cooler conditions the linner comes out and it has about 6 vents that open and keep me plently cool on hotter days. It's also very water proof....good bang for your buck.

Juice

Comment

Wow! I feel for you. I live in NJ, but am working in Houston. The heat and humidity is significant. I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix 3. It's perfect for NJ, but would likely melt me in the Houston heat. I'm staying at the Hilton by Minute Maid park. Looking at traffic patterns and heat, I can't even think of a jacket that would be suitable.

Comment

Wearing under armor heat gear( 25 bucks on eBay) helps tremendously expecally the jacket or pants have schoeller lined in the inside.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X