X

cheap heated vest

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheap heated vest

Dan Dubeau and I went for a ride on Friday night, and about an hour into it the sun started to set. By this time we were already out in the sticks and traveling north. The air got cold. Very cold.

After a 2 or 3 hour ride, we stopped for a coffee to warm up and shoot the chit. End result of the conversation and a few emails later in the evening was that warmth was in order.

I had a Heated seat cushion that I had bought (on sale for 10.00) for my wife to use in her truck a couple of years ago. She never used it, so I decided it was free for my use. I cut into it and removed the heating element. I then used a spray adhesive to glue the element to a zip in vest for one of my coats. The element as it is offers great coverage across my back but I am likely going to re-route the element wire for coverage around the front of the vest as well.

I already had the wiring for the battery tender So I just used that connector.

I took it out for a test run last night and it worked really well. Basically my whole back is covered, and it puts out the perfect amount of heat. Once I have rerouted the element to cover the front I will sew a panel covering all of it up.

www.SOARacing.ca

BTW for anybody else looking to do this, canadian tire has a heated seat cushion on sale right now for $20. It uses 2 smaller panels that are perfect for either side of the front zipper. I should have mine done sometime this week, and I'll post up pictures.

Comment

That's basically all the expensive heated stuff is... you end up paying for the controller units. I've read about them before... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113134

then decided just to go with a Gerbing setup so I would have better control over the temp.

Looks cool
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
        That's basically all the expensive heated stuff is... you end up paying for the controller units. I've read about them before... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113134

then decided just to go with a Gerbing setup so I would have better control over the temp.

Looks cool
        Temp control is great, but up here you only need one setting

My long term plan is temp control built into dash panel, or bar mounted unit.

Comment

the seat cushion switch has a hi and low setting. that is easy to operate with gloves on. You could even add the massage option on the lower back (or seat if your name is sky )

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by chinto View Post
            the seat cushion switch has a hi and low setting. that is easy to operate with gloves on. You could even add the massage option on the lower back (or seat if your name is sky )

Guylaine
            Try and keep up now

Comment

Originally posted by GSkyX-R1000 View Post
              as if you hadn't already thought of that

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by chinto View Post
                as if you hadn't already thought of that
                Hell no!!!!I'm a good girl a very very very good girl

P.S. Will you make me a vest if I'm good good good

But serioulsy .. this is a great and cheap idea !!!
                Guylaine
                Try and keep up now

Comment

nice hack joe
                  so many roads so little time

Comment

Just our of curiousity, how many volts and Ohms are you pushing through that thing. Any chances of getting a good jolt, especially if it gets wet?

Comment

Very cool
                      2007 Honda CBR600rr
                      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                      sigpic

Comment

Read the book Body Electric by Robert Becker. His team did research on microcurrent I believe back in the 70's. If you understand electromagnetic fields you would not want to use these heating elements so close to your body. In my mind not a safe practice, I would rather dress warmer. But then again just my own personal opinion.
                        Last edited by Glimas; 09-23-2008, 01:29 AM. Reason: spelling incorrect

Comment

the tinfoil doorag I wear under my helmet will protect my body from harm

Comment

Originally posted by Glimas View Post
                            Read the book Body Electric by Robert Becker. His team did research on microcurrent I believe back in the 70's. If you understand electromagnetic fields you would not want to use these heating elements so close to your body. In my mind not a safe practice, I would rather dress warmer. But then again just my own personal opinion.
                            If you read Spiderman #9, you would totally want me to make you a vest:

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Seems genius to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X