No announcement yet.
X

surrounding hard shell armour

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, if all cars were fitted with a power electro-magnet in the front, and all bikes had the same polarity, lol.... force fields... I actually conceptualized magnetic impact absorbers while standing dead at work. I know it's possible.

Comment

How about crows with freakin` laser beams trained to destroy anything that enters your safety radius?

Comment

Originally posted by Nissan View Post
        How about crows with freakin` laser beams trained to destroy anything that enters your safety radius?

"A crow with a machine gun is a dangerous prospect..." unknown

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

it will also make hunting a little easier for'em. perfect symbiosis

Comment

Alternatively, how about rolls and rolls of bubble wrap around you? It's a lot cheaper also, lol.
            sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

IMHO taking care of internal organs is a little more important than bones. If your leg breaks you can put it back to gether, but if your heart or lungs get turned to jelly then your kinda screwed. An exo-sceleton would be cool though it would also have military aplications as well. Anyway glad to see that your safe.

Oh, and Jedi wear capes and they kick A$$!!!!!

Comment

The jedi live in Lucas` fantasy world... Doesn't mean squat.
                Show me one coold person who wears a cape in real life.

how about aramyd/kevlar tubes with super high pressure gas/liquid in'em?
                If you can put a higher pressure in them than there is in the tire running you over, the tire is more likely to bend than your armor...

Comment

Nissan, I can see the merit in your work, so would like to share a few insights. Firstly, carbon fibre shatters - but hey, maybe enough it'll work with enough kevlar? Injection moulded plastics would be better bet ... together with a strong enough "cage" of sorts. Even if i did get a working model, how practical would it be? I ride with a chunky Alpinestar backprotector, but it's a ***** to lug around ... and it's flat compared to what you are proposing and I'd be a little bit pi$$ed if I went through all that effort, only to have the car ride over my neck ! Glad u'r okay though!
                  Last edited by TrickyRicky; 08-30-2008, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Here you go! IT's PERFECT! ...and exactly what you want minus gloves...now you need a Kat to match...good luck on that.

They did start making crush-proof vehicles a long time ago...they're called TANKS.
                    They also started making semi crush-proof vehicles...they're called CARS.

Good luck with the other stuff Diefledermaus....Hope you have Bruce Wayne's bank account.

btw, capes are queer.
                    -
                    -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

It's possible, as long as you have the resources and the financial supports behind it. It be a super expensive one and only hardsuit....

There's a reason why nothing like that is being sold on the market; because unfortuantely it be too expensive for 99% of the public given today's technology....
                      sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

I need to make a project proposal and funding application to my university in a few months anyway... Can't see why this isn't a noble cause, as well as an interesting challenge to try and overcome. That today's market has nothing of the sort is very well and fine, but it doesn't mean it can't be done... Especially if you strain yourself to jump outside of the box a little.

And like I mentioned in the previous post, you don't need something that will literally hold up against 4000lbs of weight directly on it. It only needs to be strong enough to make the tire deform instead of your limb, and for the actual impact the CE armor should be good enough. Now, if it deforms the tire permanently, forcing the cager to buy a new one (or a new set for AWD vehicles), that's an added bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by Nissan View Post
                          I need to make a project proposal and funding application to my university in a few months anyway... Can't see why this isn't a noble cause, as well as an interesting challenge to try and overcome. That today's market has nothing of the sort is very well and fine, but it doesn't mean it can't be done... Especially if you strain yourself to jump outside of the box a little.

And like I mentioned in the previous post, you don't need something that will literally hold up against 4000lbs of weight directly on it. It only needs to be strong enough to make the tire deform instead of your limb, and for the actual impact the CE armor should be good enough. Now, if it deforms the tire permanently, forcing the cager to buy a new one (or a new set for AWD vehicles), that's an added bonus.
                          You had me thinking of the IBA (military body armor) vests. These are heavy duty Kevlar vests with protective plates placed in the back and front. The plates are designed to stop directed force like from a bullet or shrapnel, and are actually somewhat brittle (they crack quite spectacularly when hit by a bullet). But you could probably engineer plates to be designed for your purposes. Then perhaps rig up ribs that connect the front and back plates to form a protective exo-skeleton for the chest. I think the ribbing would probably have to be Titanitium to be strong enough and still be light enough.

By just sticking to just a vest rather than a suit, and mostly copying a proven protective design you can cut costs down alot. You would still need to wear a jacket under it for abrasion protection on your arms, but the major organs would be protected.

Of course I was told that if you lost or damaged (outside of being damaged for it intended purpose of course) your IBA you got charged $600.00 by the deparment of defense, excluding the SAPI plate inserts which would add another $200 to your bill. So I am guessing that means that the DoD pays about $800+ per vests Once you add the titainum ribbing it's going to be alot pricier. Also the IBA's with plates inserted are pretty heavy. They are light enough and fit tightly enouhg so that troops can still fight and easily move around in them, but that is after lots of training. If you have ever worn a lead vest while having X-rays taken they feel about that heavy.

But just guessing from what I THINK is the wholesale costs of a loaded IBA vest, and having no real idea how much the titanium ribs would cost, or exactly what your plates would have to be made of to not fail, you might be able to produce a product that you could sell for a sum that people could actually afford to buy, though it would still be very expensive I am sure. But I am no engineer, I just had to wear the damn thing for a few months, so I got a good knowledge of its design features.

Google it up, and take a look at how they are designed. You might be able to figure out how to alter it to your purposes rather than designing something from the ground up.

Comment

Don't forget to take your dynamics class first. Also remember that KE = 1/2 m V^2 (mostly). So, your armor is going to have a maximum safe speed of being run over rating.

The angle of incidence of the tire to your body also needs to be considered.

After that you should be able to calculate the force needed to overcome the tire. At that point, you determine the acceptable stress level of the material you chose. Remember the CF and all other weaves have different material properties for longitudinal loading vs lateral loading. Then you back calculate thickness and size needed for your stress level. Easy peasy...

Comment

Originally posted by londob5 View Post
                              ... Btw, capes are queer.

+10000

edna: It will be bold! Dramatic!
                              bob: Yeah!
                              edna: Heroic!
                              bob: Yeah. Something classic, like, like dynaguy. Oh, he had a great look! Oh, the cape and the boots...
                              edna: [throws a wadded ball of paper at bob's head] no capes!
                              bob: Isn't that my decision?
                              edna: Do you remember thunderhead? Tall, storm powers? Nice man, good with kids.
                              bob: Listen, e...
                              edna: November 15th of '58! All was well, another day saved, when... His cape snagged on a missile fin!
                              bob: Thunderhead was not the brightest bulb...
                              edna: Stratogale! April 23rd, '57! Cape caught in a jet turbine!
                              bob: E, you can't generalize about these things...
                              edna: Metaman, express elevator! Dynaguy, snagged on takeoff! Splashdown, sucked into a vortex!
                              [shouts]
                              edna: No capes!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ATOMonkey View Post
                                Don't forget to take your dynamics class first. Also remember that KE = 1/2 m V^2 (mostly). So, your armor is going to have a maximum safe speed of being run over rating.

The angle of incidence of the tire to your body also needs to be considered.

After that you should be able to calculate the force needed to overcome the tire. At that point, you determine the acceptable stress level of the material you chose. Remember the CF and all other weaves have different material properties for longitudinal loading vs lateral loading. Then you back calculate thickness and size needed for your stress level. Easy peasy...

yeah... I've done this sort of thing before (for one of my projects... I'm an engineering physics student).

Comment

Working...
                                X