No announcement yet.
X

Wear your gear!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok gear Nazi's, I totally understand the idea of wearing gear, I always did. If someone choses not to, how does that effect YOU? Personally, if someone wants to wear the road as decoration who am I to stop them They stick the key in and make it go, if they wanna die, I do not care.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
      ok gear Nazi's, I totally understand the idea of wearing gear, I always did. If someone choses not to, how does that effect YOU? Personally, if someone wants to wear the road as decoration who am I to stop them They stick the key in and make it go, if they wanna die, I do not care.
      As harsh as it may sound- I totally agree with Chris here. I have three other family members who i have preached to about gear wearing (at least they are now wearing Helmets.) to all three of them. I have gotten to the point of telling them "Fine, you don't want to wear it, not my problem. but when the Doctor is putting your happy *** back together, do not think for an instant that i will have sympathy for you, feel sorry for you, or anything along those lines. I have tried my best to tell you, teach you, but no im the nut on the sport bike whose wearing full gear, But i dont know what im talking about"

Sorry if it sounds inhumane, i dont feel sorry for those who dont wear gear, then get into a wreck and complain about it.

Comment

ive just been wearin my helmet a t-shirt gloves jeans and some boots. I only wear the jacket at night or if i go on long quick rides

Comment

I wore gear all the time for 2 reasons:
          1. you're on a bike PROTECT yourself as much as you can
          2. I worked as a tech for Suzuki, if you got hurt with no gear on, their insurance wouldn't cover it.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            1. you're on a bike PROTECT yourself as much as you can

If you really think about it, if you really let it sink in what kind of situation you put yourself in......... you won't need anybody to tell you to wear gear.
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I always liked the saying "Dress for the Slide, not the Ride!"

I got in my accident going home from work, about 15 KM from home to work... it happens fast and doesn't matter if its hot or not.

Comment

its all about Free will baby... just my 2 cents... I wear mine....
                Attached Files
                http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                  2. Mesh jackets really are the best thing since peanut butter! With a cotton shirt underneath to hold your sweat where it'll do you some good, the mesh actually shades you while still allowing all kinds of airflow. There's a reason why desert people wear those long robes. It's portable shade! My skin is actually cooler under the mesh than when it's exposed.
                  No doubt I love my Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket. I got the previous year model off ebay for beans. A lot of people around here don't get the right gear because it's "too expensive" but man, I got a great helmet, great jacket, and nice gloves for less than a lot of people spend on just a helmet, all new. I didn't spend the money for motorcycle-specific boots but I figure nice heavy rubber-sole boots are just fine.

Comment

I did the same as above.

as a n00b rider, I dont even think about leaving the house without the gear on...just in case.

the guy I got the bike from gave me a HJC CL-max helmet, and a Fox Creek "vented racer" leather jacket.

the helmet turned out to be a size too big, so I bought a HJC FS10 from newenough...my current financial situation does not allow for a $500 Arai or Shoei
                    the jacket would be fantastic for cooler weather, but in 85-95, its a bit much, so i bought a Joe Rocket "Alter Ego 2.0", and some Icon Tarmac 3.0 gloves.

buddy gave me some Joe Rocket mesh pants that were too big for him.
                    He got them on closeout at some joint that was going out of biz, and never used them, so he passed them on.

I also wear a set of Converse above ankle length police duty boots(yeah, they make boots now), and they just fit perfectly on the pegs, and have a pretty hard toe for the shifter.

for regular riding I wear some really thick denim jeans, or if its real hot, the mesh pants over shorts, never shorts by themselves.

I have plenty of buds who have bikes, some have crashed, some have not, all who crashed credit thier gear with saving them from SERIOUS injury, and they have impressed upon me the worth of wearing even "middle of the priceline" gear.

See My Garage for mods...
                    T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                    Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

[quote=JayBell;1497634]
                      ... the worth of wearing even "middle of the priceline" gear.

I'm with you on that. You don't have to go broke to protect yourself. Studies show that you get approximately the same protection from a $70 helmet as you do from a $500 one. The main difference is comfort and features although there are some differences in how the poly shell helmets deal with impact versus a fiberglass composite one. I spend a little extra on the comfort because I don't go anywhere without a helmet (If I'm going to wear the thing for that long, I'd like to have some comfort features.) and I go with a fiberglass shell because I figure I'm more likely to have several impacts than one big one. Boots are another place I've compromised. I'm pretty fond of my mil issue desert boots for warm weather and my (also issued) Danners for the winter. Both have Gore-tex and solid soles.
                      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I'm a new rider, and the idea of doing 80mph and sliding down the pavement scares the hell outta me. Sure, it is unlikely to happen at that speed. Probably more like 30-60 mph. Still, quite the slide on hot asphalt or concrete.

I've spent almost $900 on gear including a JR jacket, Hyper-Tec pants, Alpinestars boots (what a difference over sneakers!), and an exo-700 helmet. Oh, and some Frank Thomas gloves.

Sure, it's warm out there. I live in Las freaking Vegas. I get home from a ride soaking wet from all the sweating, but I'm in no way shape or form in any danger because I know how to stay hydrated.

I would rather get home sweaty and safe than die cool in an ambulance or trauma center. Besides, the gear makes me a more confident rider... my turns are more accurate, no more going wide because I'm too scared to lean over.

Comment

I ride with jeans, boots, gloves, and a helmet. I've worn the jacket for two rides and that's it. I start to hyperventilate cause I feel so claustrophobic, the only two times that I've dropped the bike were when I was wearing the jacket. I just can't ride with it.

Comment

Another thing that should be pointed out about dehydration -

If you get into the serious stuff like Zepp did, it takes a couple of days and some rest to get back in balance. Like he said, he felt, "a 1000 times better" after some water and rest, but that's first aid level treatment only. That just removes the danger zone that you're at. To really rehydrate fully, it's going to take some time.

I've been on the edge of heat exhaustion a few times (slow learner that I was in the scouting days) and have always been surprised by the hangover feel the next day. It's just that you're body is that far down on what it really needs.

If you get to the point of heat exhaustion, first aid first, then treat for healing.

-------
                            As far as the gear conversation goes and as a partial response to Arsenic...
                            "Common sense is that knowledge which appears self evident only after someone else has pointed it out." - author unknown.

We tell others to think about wearing gear as a reminder of our own personal mortality. Even in an activity such as motorcycling many of us refuse to deal with our own mortality in a meaningful way. I'm willing to bet that out of those of us conscientious enough to have spent the money and wear the gear there's still easily 30-40% of us that ride without adequate life insurance and without a living will or trust set up for our families. I'm myself guilty of the latter. Wife and I just haven't crossed that bridge yet even though we've talked about it a few times. Not having that living will is a risk which should really be something to consider given that I now have three kids reliant on my income.

Sometimes, you preach to the choir so the choir will sing.
                            Sometimes, you preach to yourself so you remember why you're doing it.

I've got the gear, guess it's time for me to talk to a lawyer.

My .02,
                            ND

Comment

on friday it was so hot and i had to bring a bunch of packages to the post office so i put on my backpack with my jacket. i started to feel light headed because of the heat and i needed to mail the packages so i just did it squid style!. jeans and a wife beater. and it felt so good!. of course i was nervous the whole time and probably wont do it again. but it felt sooooo good!.

Comment

point taken, wearing the gear is a MUST!!
                                [FONT=Georgia]Gonna miss you guys and gals, be safe!!

Comment

Working...
                                X