how snug is too snug for a helmet? and Introduction

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how snug is too snug for a helmet? and Introduction

Hey what's up everyone.
    Just got back onto the street again with my first Kat. I like it so far. Got a blue 2001 GSX600. Began riding at age 6 on dirt bikes and moved up to the street at 15. Sold my old bike when I went to college in 1995. So it has been a while. Anyway just got in my Scorpion Exo 400 Warhawk. I love every feature about it. I followed the chart for sizing and it does fit on and all....but it takes an act of God to push the thing onto my head. LOL. Just wondering how everyone else's helmets fit when they first tried them on. Scorpion information (and others from here) insisted it to be very snug. Feel ike a chipmunk in side the helmet but it will not come off unless I undo the strap. Bloodflow is still going to my head( I think). Just want to make sure I'm getting the correct fit with my gear. Oh yeah! I know the mixed views about the original Timax jacket, but I like mine so far. Could be vented a little better though. I live on the Gulf Coast in Alabama--so it is pretty hot right now and only getting warmer! Glad to be on here learning from you guys! Great forum! Pics of ride will be put up later. Having old scars on fenders repainted!

It shouldn't move at all when you shake your head back and forth and up and down with the strap un-done. It will feel really snug at first but it will form around your face and soon feel perfect.

Comment

Well you seem to have the right size..
      Welcome to KR

Comment

if you get a headache it is to tight
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

welcome to kr. i just brought a new helmet , tight at first but it will break in

Comment

all the reason why it should be tight when you buy it, it contours to your head!
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

hello and welcome
              sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

You're supposed to measure the circumference of your head to get an idea of how many CM's it is first. Laterally not vertically

Then find the correct size helmet according to the measurements, as a starting point. Some helmets just fit some shaped heads better than others.

It should be tight pushing on your cheeks but not too tight to cause pain, light headedness or loss of consciousness

Seriously though, they loosen up so get one that is tight and doesn't move side to side. Otherwise, when it does loosen up more it will be flopping all around, very noisy and unsafe. The wind will get trapped in there and try to pull it off your head too, especially when you turn your head to switch lanes on the highway. It will sound like the movie Twister inside your helmet
                Last edited by Zepp; 05-23-2008, 11:47 PM.
                2007 Honda CBR600rr
                2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks everyone! I am glad to meet you all and be a part of this kick azz forum! I promise to post pics as soon as I resize them to KatRider's specs for uploading. They are way too large. Found some pre-painting pics from when I first bought it. Thanks again everyone.
                  Jeremiah

Comment

Sounds like the bases have been covered so I'll just say welcome to KR!

Comment

Working...
                    X