X

helmet tips

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• helmet tips

Does anyone have any suggestions on how a helmet should fit? I thought mine fit well but it feels almost as though it would fly off due to wind if it weren't for the chin strap. Also are you supposed to feel a significant amount of drag? when I turn my head to check my blind spots it takes a lot of effort at high speeds.

P.S. I'm tall so the bike doesn't shield anything and I have a big head (XL helmet)

Thanks
    There is something about being on a bike that is singularly American. It says, "I have some priorities here that aren't about life expectancy."

-Alton Brown

If your going to ride you need good gear!
    Tell us what you've got and find out what others are wearing.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Wait, that was posted by Nero??

Did his account get jacked??

Comment

It should fit snug. the padding will break in the more you wear it. I made the mistake by buying a helmet that was comfortable...and like you, when the wind hit it, it felt like it was gonna fly off my head. i took it back to the shop the same day and got a size smaller. now it's all good.

Comment

Try on a bunch of helmets and get the smallest one that fits 'very snug' but not so much that it hurts after a few minutes.

I bought an inexpensive XL KBC and it fit well enough that it worked. I didn't like it since after about an 30 minutes of use, there would be a good deal of pressure on the front of my head. The last straw came when about a year later, after about 20 hours of riding in 2 days... The helmet left a blister on the front of my head! Time to get a new helmet...

Bought a Shoei X11. Fit's me LIKE A GLOVE.. It cost me 2x as much... Oh, it' also a Large size rather than XL.

But cost doesn't always equate to fit. I have a friend who feels better with the lesser priced RF1000 Shoei than the X11. Wish I did too!

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
            Wait, that was posted by Nero??

Did his account get jacked??
            Yeah, Jerkweed. CP stayed at my house that weekend and had forgotten his password.

You see???? -I do nice things around here and I get a smash on the chin for it.

=USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

When I bought my XL Scorpion EXO I bought it at what felt like the right size 6 months later it moved way to much. The good part is I dint have to buy a new helmet. The shell for larges and up are the same so I bought a L set of liners snapped them in no problems no fits like a glove.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AKA AllyKat View Post
                When I bought my XL Scorpion EXO I bought it at what felt like the right size 6 months later it moved way to much. The good part is I dint have to buy a new helmet. The shell for larges and up are the same so I bought a L set of liners snapped them in no problems no fits like a glove.
                I've got an HJC CL-SP, its the same way.
                was snug when I bought it but now the pads are compressed and is loose-ish
                HJC helmets are the same way, there is really only like 3 shell sizes.
                something like M, XL and XXL
                the pads make the difference

Comment

Originally posted by tnvatdreamland View Post
                  I own 2 KBC's a Force RR and a TK8, both excellent. But have heard lots of people just RAVEING about the Scorpion EXO...enough to want to go see what all the hype is about.
                  Is money is no option buy the Shoei....it makes a finacially secure "statement".
                  Originally posted by StevieB View Post
                  Yeah, the women just fall all over themselves, when they see you wearing a Shoei. "Ooo, look at THAT guy- he wears a Shoei. Mmmmm, I can't WAIT to have his baby, I just KNOW he will be a good provider..."

Fitment is NOT important as you can see, just buy a Shoei like I did chicks LOVE it

Last edited by kwebbel; 11-14-2007, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
                    Yeah, Jerkweed. CP stayed at my house that weekend and had forgotten his password.

You see???? -I do nice things around here and I get a smash on the chin for it.

I kid because I love...

Comment

If money is an issue....

Take a look at the Scorpion EXO 400 series. Hell, even if money is not an issue, try them on before you spend a lot more on a helmet. They fit well (on me), padding is removeable / replaceable, Snell approved, and they're fairly quiet.

But, check helmet reviews on web bike world before you buy:

Since 2000, webBikeWorld has provided extensive hands-on reviews and advice. Search our index of over 1,700 hands-on reviews!

KLR

Comment

Out of all the helmets I've owned the scorpion is the best... One thing I don't like and I thought it was the helmet was my cheeks were sticking to the padding... Lesson... Shave before you go riding all day...
                        "So scared of getting older, I'm only good at being young"

Comment

anyone with a HJC CL-15 expirience?

Comment

Working...
                          X