No announcement yet.
X

Cold Weather Riding..what do you wear?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Weather Riding..what do you wear?

Rode to work this morning. 30 minute commute. @10 minutes side roads, 20 minutes Interstate at @ 70-75mph.

Gear: Heavy Denim Jeans. Windbreaker pants over the top. My "riding boots" which are my hunting boots (steel toe, over the ankle and warm).

Turtleneck shirt, not sweater. My mesh jacket w/ armor and I installed the liner.

My MotoGP gloves. They are leather, not perf'd, but not 'lined'.

Honestly I really wasn't cold...fingertips a bit.

Temp was 38 degrees and clear when I left.

I'm debating riding tomorrow, because it's supposed to be a "Freeze warning" and I do cross 2 bridges on the Interstate.

Input from the cold weather experienced riders?

I leave about 7:30am. And with DST change coming, it'll be and hour later when I actually leave so I think that will help....but will be an "hour later" when I leave LOL

Input? Experience? Feedback?

Thanks

Chris

Biggest obstacle in my view is the hands. Get a really good set of snow-mobile gloves, ones that let your hands move freely, and they will keep warm. If you have a place to change when you get to work, insulated underwear works wonders also. Get a windproof scarf also, it'll keep your neck and mouth nice and toasty.

Comment

I wear a long sleeve T-shirt under my jacket with the liner in, and maybe long johns or thin track pants under my leather pants if it's going to be less than 3 or 4C.

Under my gloves I wear a pair of cotton gloves from Dollarama (Cdn dollar store) as insulation and put my heated grips on hi .

The only other thing is a neck warmer I'll throw on.
      Kyle

Comment

I wear a balaclava to protect my neck and chin area. Joe Rocket leather jacket with liner in.

Under my jacket I wear a T shirt, Extreme cold mountain climber/hiker thermal shirt and a Polypropelene insulated shirt (awesome).

For pants I am wearing jeans with some racing overpants made out of Duratex 600D with zip out liner that are Windproof and Waterproof. They also have CE Armor built in (check out link below). They are great pants at an awesome price. I really like them. You will not find a better deal anywhere. When it is not cold out you just take out the liner.http://tinyurl.com/39pxme

I wear leather gloves (from same place above) and Joe Rocket Leather boots with thermal socks.

Lets just say that I am very toasty. I dress like I do when I go hunting and sit for hours. I sweat when dressed like this. I don't mind that, it sure beats getting cold.

The only problem I had with the cold was my shield was fogging up. I bought some stuff for that today so hopefully that won't be a problem anymore.
        2007 Honda CBR600rr
        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
        sigpic

Comment

as of recent years i've taken to wearing a car ...

turn the heaters controls up and put the stereo on

i've done my share of riding 365 days a year and can honestly say it doesn't appeal to me anymore, my knees and elbows tell me to stop being macho
          it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

get a t-shirt and some sandals... thats all you need to look cool

Comment

Windbreaker stuff over my leathers , balaclava on the neck , wool socks . If it's REALLY cold , I'll add long johns underneath that . Heated grips help . Most important things would be a layer to block the wind , something to cover your neck , and some stout gloves that'll let you still work the controls .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Long-sleeved t-shirt, hoodie, leather armored jacket with liner, steel-toe work boots, jeans, a rolled-up bandana to seal that little area between the helmet and jacket and a set of insulated gauntlet gloves. This is good for me down to about 28-30 degrees (half canal roads and half highway riding about 30 minutes [31 when I left this morning]).

Comment

Heated jacket liner and gloves.

I'm good down to about 25-30* after that, my feet get too cold no matter what I do.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Well I'm happy to say I know where MY LIMIT is for cold weather riding.

33........Again, wasn't bad until the Interstate backed up. So I took side roads. Then I realized I was losing feeling in my fingertips.

I could buy liners or specific Winter gloves..but 33 is now my number. 34 and up good to go LOL

On a positive note it's going to be mid-to-high 60's when I leave work today...and the 10 day forecast looks like this morning is the coldest it's going to get for the next few weeks...most lows in the low 40's......

My wife did ask me a question I wasn't expecting last night.

WIFE :"So you're riding in the cold right?"
                    ME : "Yeah.....it wasn't that bad..."
                    WIFE: "So when do you plan to do all that work to the bike you've been talking about, like painting it and everything else...I thought you planned on doing that when it GOT COLD.???"

ME: "........ahhhmm....you need a beer?"

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                      Heated jacket liner and gloves.

I'm good down to about 25-30* after that, my feet get too cold no matter what I do.
                      i don't like to ride with it below 32(chance for ice)but if you must try some heated socks

Comment

- Under Armor pants underneath Triumph racing leather pants (very thick).
                        - Polypro Balaclava
                        - AGV leather Suzuki jacket (very thick)
                        - Heated gloves (new investment this year $29 Flea Bay)
                        - Heated socks (new investment this year $19 Flea Bay)
                        - Joe Rocket blaster boots.
                        - KBC helmet (more warm than my Fulmer)
                        I leave between 0530 and 0700 depending on the day. Last winter, the only complaint I had was the hands getting cold, hence the flea bay heated gloves this year!

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
                        My wife did ask me a question I wasn't expecting last night.

WIFE :"So you're riding in the cold right?"
                        ME : "Yeah.....it wasn't that bad..."
                        WIFE: "So when do you plan to do all that work to the bike you've been talking about, like painting it and everything else...I thought you planned on doing that when it GOT COLD.???"

ME: "........ahhhmm....you need a beer?"

Chris
                        Last edited by KatanaSoldier; 10-30-2007, 02:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                        JOHN 16:33

Comment

I have a set of handle bar muffs like the kind use on snowmobiles. Mind you I ride all year long so in the sub zero temps they are a godsend. plus they allow me to use my summer riding gloves.
                          For clothers I wear a windproof water proof winter jacket over top of my Icon jacket, long thermal underwear under my riding pants and my riding boots with wool socks. When it's really cold I have battery operated socks that work very well.
                          I also wear a thin bellaclava under my helmet with a neck warmer.
                          98 GSX750F
                          95 Honda VT600 vlx
                          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I recently installed heated grips from cycle gear on my sv650s and that's the best $30 I've ever spent.

Comment

Originally posted by NiteMare View Post
                              as of recent years i've taken to wearing a car ...

LMAO!
                              2007 GSXR 600 BLACK
                              Traded in the 02 KAT 600 and sold the 02 KX250..
                              2003 KX 125 (sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X