X

Saddlebags for the long journey

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddlebags for the long journey

I've been itching for a set of saddlebags for my Kat for sometime now. And, my wife threw $100 at me the other day as an advance on my allowance (I'll be 40 this month and I'm still getting an allowance???).

Anyway, I went shopping around and this is what I found:

The Nelson-Rigg CL-1000. Picked up from NewEnough.com for $68.00 delivered. They just came in this morning and I'm as impatient as they come... so I'll be mounting them up after lunch.
    "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Nice. Whats the cubic volume for them? I have a huge tank/tail bag but its just doesn't hold everything and wearing a backpack with a tail bag just isn't fun.
    sigpic

Comment

I had Nelson Rigg bags on the day we met up... I like 'em okay so far... except that they started to sag with that shock in them...
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by AKA AllyKat
        Nice. Whats the cubic volume for them? I have a huge tank/tail bag but its just doesn't hold everything and wearing a backpack with a tail bag just isn't fun.
        The specs are as follows:

CL-1000 Standard Saddlebags
        (Formally STSB-250 Standard Saddlebags)

• Accommodates swept exhausts on most of today’s bikes.
        • Easy access top loading main compartment
        • Adjustable shoulder strap
        • External buckles for compatibility with our tail packs
        • Securely mount using wide Velcro® straps and quick release buckles
        • Heat resistant under panels
        • Main compartment measures: 17”L X 6.5”W X 11”H
        • Holds 19.92 Liters per side

Comment

Originally posted by steves
          I had Nelson Rigg bags on the day we met up... I like 'em okay so far... except that they started to sag with that shock in them...
          I bet they did!

Would adjusting them tighter up top have helped at all with that??

Comment

Originally posted by jgmann67
            I bet they did!

I'm not sure... I haven't used them since I've got a tail bag too that I almost prefer when I can use...
            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Very nice looking. Cheap too!
              "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
              JOHN 16:33

Comment

Okay - I figgered out the droop issue...

They're effectively hinged on the inside. That is to say that the bags connect on the sides closest to the motorcycle... What happens is that as the bag is filled, weight pushes the bags downward, and since there's no where to go in that direction, they start to tilt inward.

The bags have shoulder straps that attach to the front and to the back of each of the bags. To avoid the tilt inwards, a short cross-strap that attaches to the fronts of the bags should be about all ya need.

The alternative is to rig up a stiff wire frame for each bag.

Comment

I got mine from the same place for the same price yesterday. I was unable to mount any of the straps under the seat and the bags in place will interfere with a passenger, but I like them anyway. They are easy to remove so to prevent them walking away while at work I use a cable lock around the handles and my luggage rack. If they walk the bags or cable will have to be cut.

Comment

Originally posted by jgmann67
                    I bet they did!

I'm not sure... I haven't used them since I've got a tail bag too that I almost prefer when I can use...
                    Same bags I got ? Mine have been on there like 3 years . Yeah , they sag , but they'll also hold a jug of oj AND milk , plus a couple more lbs of canned goods no problem . And you STILL got the expander zipper !
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I have the same simular bags in the Tourmaster Cortec. Very nice. There is a nice article here on the site with pics, on how to mount them under the seat. Mounts tighter with no slop, and your pillion is comfortable too.
                      It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

Comment

You can checkout the ones that I got in the following thread

If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jgalar
                          I got mine from the same place for the same price yesterday. I was unable to mount any of the straps under the seat and the bags in place will interfere with a passenger, but I like them anyway. They are easy to remove so to prevent them walking away while at work I use a cable lock around the handles and my luggage rack. If they walk the bags or cable will have to be cut.
                          There's a thread on here somewhere - was looking at it last night - where a member mounted up a set of bags under the seat of his post-98. I think he used a pencil to keep the front strap from interfering with the seat lock.

Also, there are some pics of a pre-98 underseat mount. I'm gonna chop my fender this week and try to do a remounting of the bags under the passenger seat.

Comment

JaxKat I think.
                            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I remember that posting, but don't remember which bags he had. I'm sure I could mount it partially under the seat but the bag would be closer to the pipe than I would want. Also these bags are long enough that you can't move them forward and backward much without covering the turn signals. I don't want my light obstructed as I do 1/2 my riding at night. The cable lock through the handles keeps the bags from easily walking off - thats my main reason for wanting them mounted under the seat.

Comment

Working...
                              X