X

got a new (first) helmet and have some questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got a new (first) helmet and have some questions

I am just starting to get into riding and am slowly getting all my gear. I won a new helmet from flea bay, it is a scorpion exo-400. size is large. that is the size that scorpionusa.com sizing chart say I was. The helmet fits tight around the forehead (but not too tight) but it is very tight around my cheeks. so tight that the little bit of my face that shows it turning red. and the inside of my cheeks are pressed aganst my teeth. I also had to take out my ear rings (4 gauge earlets) to get the helmet on easier.

if I move my head up and down or side to side the helmet does not slide, it stays right with my head. now if I grab the bottom and pull up it will slide up and down a bout an inch.

does this sound like I have the right size? should I just wear it for a while to let it break in?

Thanks

it sounds like it fits right around the crown of your head but shouldn't be that tight around or chin/cheeks. Check www.newenough.com. They have internal pieces for scorpion helmets and may have some smaller cheek pads. Or maybe if you wear it long enough it'll form better, who knows....
    Hold on Tight.......

Comment

it fits really nice around my head but the cheek pads are tight. I am going to wear it for a while and see if it loosens up.

also looking at the Fitment Checks on scorpions web site http://www.scorpionusa.com/support/fitment.html

the last test on the pdf is to pull up on the helmet with the chin strap on, and it says if the helmet lifts off you head it is too big. mine does lift off my head a bit but the chin strap keeps it on. does anyone know if they mean just lifts or completely come off.

I had a hard time getting this helmet off, I lost the back to one of my earlets, that is why I have to take them out first.

Comment

i have 2 EXo-400s, they do run small compared to other helmets i've had. I had to go up to an XL which fits me great in the cheek area, maybe a tab loose in the crown. As far as seeing if its too big, strap it up and then have a buddy grab the back of the helmet and try to lift it off your head, if it pulls off, its too big, its gonna raise up a bit though.

Basically, if the fit is good up top, ride with it a few weeks to see if the cheek pads compress to fit your face better. If not, get yourself a new liner.

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

Originally posted by ChattKat
          i have 2 EXo-400s, they do run small compared to other helmets i've had. I had to go up to an XL which fits me great in the cheek area, maybe a tab loose in the crown. As far as seeing if its too big, strap it up and then have a buddy grab the back of the helmet and try to lift it off your head, if it pulls off, its too big, its gonna raise up a bit though.

Basically, if the fit is good up top, ride with it a few weeks to see if the cheek pads compress to fit your face better. If not, get yourself a new liner.
          you guys must have funky head shapes

my exo400 fits great, the XL replaced my XL HJC with no problems. Try taking it on and off a few times and wear it around the house (yes im serious) it helps break it in quite a bit.

Comment

I have an exo-400 as well, and I had the same issue with the cheek pads (mines an XL). After wearing it for a while and breaking it in, its VERY comfortable now.
            It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

I have an exo 400. When I was sizing it the L felt very tight so I went with the XL. 4 months later the XL moved aroung on my head way to much. The good thing is that Scorpion has to sizes of shells XS-M and L-XXL the liners are what make the size difference. To fix my porblem I purchases a L liner set and the helmet fits great. A possible idea is if every thing fits right except the check pads after its broke in purchase a liner set a size larger and only change the check pads.
              sigpic

Comment

Differnet makers' hats are shaped for different heads . And they WILL loosen up after breaking-in . But if it ain't shaped right for your dome to BEGIN with .....
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

a bit of an update. I wore the helmet around the house and the cheek pads did loosen up some. the area around my croun felt good. that was friday night, all day saturday and so far today there are 4 points (two in front, two in the back) around my head that are a bit tender, not painful just tender. if I raise my eyebrows I can feel the tendern points in the back of my head.

I am going to take a trip to the local shop and try on some other sizes just to see how they fit.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Just bought a EX0-400 XL today and i love the helmet.
                    i normally wear a size large but it was too tight for me in the cheeks as well but the Xl fit perfect.
                    i was told from the salesman about changing the liner out for a larger or smaller size to fit the wearer better as well but unless the XL gets loose, im happy with the current fit.

On a side note, scorpion is releasing the EXO 1000 and im really liking that helmet. comes with pumps in the cheek pads were you can pump air or release air into them to get a better fit in the cheek area. also has a internal sun visor called speedview that can be flipped down to block the sun. only thing is its about twice the price of the 400 and 700's starting out a $299 for solid black and $309 for other colors. visors are around $50 for it
                    still a cool looking helmet though.

Comment

I have a Scorp exo 700. I love my helmet.. But it's kinda tight in my cheeks as well. It will loosen up a bit though. I am a little amazed you have to take out your earrings though. Mine aint that tight, and I have 0g..

Remember, Caps Lock is Cruise Control for Cool

Comment

I have a EXO-700. Mine was a bit tight when I first got it, and it used to squeeze my cheeks. I just realized that I havent noticed any fitment issues since I first got it though. I guess it kind moulded to my face. The sponge is noticeably softer now. Not as stiff as when it was new.
                        Roops Photography|facebook|
                        03 GSXR 1000
                        04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
                        Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Comment

I have lost both o-rings for my plugs from this helmet. The cheek pads are just too tight. I went down to a local dealer and they were useless.
                          "you have to buy a whole new liner, they dont sell just the cheek pads."

I told them yes they do. 12$ @ newenough.com

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                          X