X

Advice on a great pair of summer pants

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on a great pair of summer pants

Any recommendations? Right now, I have Joe Rocket Ballistic pants - they're waterproof, armored, padded, and just waaaaaay too sweaty for 90 degree riding. I'm looking to spend around $100, give or take and don't want a pair of reinforced jeans.

What would you guys recommend for a pair of textile or mesh pants? Would you even recommend textile or mesh pants? I'm not a speeder - I generally ride on roads with a 45-55 mpg speed limit, rarely exceed 60mph, except I've been 80mph twice on a short stretch of interstate. Speeding is not my thing - as long as the pants will hold up for one 60mph slide along the road, I'm cool with them.

What are your suggestions, and do you have experience actually putting the pants to the test?

Thanks in advance.
    John 3:16

Thanks for making this thread brightredkat because I'm also shopping for new pants to go riding on Saturday. It's supposed to get up to 28C (86F) in Toronto, Canada this weekend.

First of all there is no replacement for leather, period:

Material dragged behind a truck on a road at 80km/h (50mph).

New, 100% Cotton Denim Jeans ----------------------- 3' 10"
    Senior Balistic Nylon ----------------------------------- 3' 10"
    Leather, Lightweight, Nude Finish, 2.25 oz/sq. ft. --- 4' 3"
    Leather, Fashion Weight, 1.75 oz/sq ft. ------------- 4' 4"
    Two-year-old 100% Cotton Denim Jeans ------------ 4' 5"
    Cordura Nylon Type 440 ----------------------------- 18' 3"
    Kevlar 29 Aramid Fiber, Style 713 ------------------ 22' 1"
    Leather, Competition Weight, 3 oz/sq. ft. -------- 86' 0"

Everybody from my MSF course instructors to my dad to the people in this forum swear down by leather. One of my buddies literally walked away from a +100km/h (+60mph) crash because he was covered neck-to-feet in leather.

However, although I have full gear I've been riding with only jeans on my legs for the past year. So I'm guilty of being a hypocrite. Which is why either today or tomorrow I'm marching to the local bike shop and buying adequate leg-wear. But like you I die in the heat and was desperate to find an alternative to leather. However, I've seen my friends who wrecked in either ballistic nylon or that Joe Rocket mesh stuff. It didn't do s**t.

I'm debating buying a set of hot weather leg armor, but even they recommend wearing leather pants over top of those The instructors in my MSF class said the only solution is to drink lots of water - at a rate of about one/two 500ml (17oz) bottle(s) an hour, taking a break in an air conditioned coffee shop every 30 minutes.

If you are still not convinced then read this article about the Road Rash Queen. This has been posted on KatRiders a few times and is ultimately what pushed me to go out and buy armored leather pants.

Comment

They look dumb, but I wear Joe rocket supermoto pants. Armor, Leather in all the right places, but vented in all the right places. They are a non issue when the mercury rises. But should I go down, they should (have not tested them) protect better than any mesh pant out there.

Comment

Cool Dan, thanks for the tip! Hey you're out in New Castle? I live in the Danforth (East Toronto) - feel like doing a run on Saturday?

Comment

Originally posted by brownwa
          Cool Dan, thanks for the tip! Hey you're out in New Castle? I live in the Danforth (East Toronto) - feel like doing a run on Saturday?
          I really should update that . I moved downtown a few months ago, but we just bought a condo @ wellesley and jarvis. This weekend I'm heading back to newcastle though for a friends Jack and jill (they're dropping like flies ) But once we get settled I'll be up for a ride for sure.

Sorry to highjack

Comment

Yeah, didn't mean for this to become a Canada-ride-meet thread either. But I think I gave a meaningful contribution for the original topic. It's cool that I found another guy with a kat in the city. I ride downtown all the time - if you see a yellow '03 kat at the corner of King and Spadina then that's me - I always park it right outside my job.

Comment

Ended up buying these pants. Red looks "alright" with the kat - but for 150 cash (Canadian) I'm not f***ing complaining When I'm rich I'll go for fashion - right now i can only afford safety. Now I need to order a new rear tire...

Comment

Perforated leather is a choice, Joe Rocket Phoenix pants are like wearing shorts they are so cool but they are a textile mesh pant.
                Kyle

Comment

The Venture Air pants are designed to offer comfort and protection in a wide variety of weather conditions. The main shell of the pants is made of a loose...

This is what I wear, and am very pleased.
                  It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

Comment

Hey Brownwa...I have a question about the stats you listed above....

Do you know why 2 year old 100% Cotton Denim Jeans would last longer than a brand new pair? I just found that pretty interesting.
                    1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

Yeah, I was wondering about new versus old jeans too. I tried finding the full article online (from a 1988 magazine) but no luck. Guess you should just wash your jeans a few times before you go out on the kat lol

Comment

New, 100% Cotton Denim Jeans ----------------------- 3' 10"
                        Senior Balistic Nylon ----------------------------------- 3' 10"
                        Leather, Lightweight, Nude Finish, 2.25 oz/sq. ft. --- 4' 3"
                        Leather, Fashion Weight, 1.75 oz/sq ft. ------------- 4' 4"
                        Two-year-old 100% Cotton Denim Jeans ------------ 4' 5"
                        Cordura Nylon Type 440 ----------------------------- 18' 3"
                        Kevlar 29 Aramid Fiber, Style 713 ------------------ 22' 1"
                        Leather, Competition Weight, 3 oz/sq. ft. -------- 86' 0"

If you are still not convinced then read this article about the Road Rash Queen. This has been posted on KatRiders a few times and is ultimately what pushed me to go out and buy armored leather pants.[/quote]

Thanks for the post this is really good info. Now tell me how fast you have to go to slide 522' Almost 2 football fields?????

Comment

Working...
                        X