X

Leather?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather?

I've read quite a few of the posts where everyone praises leather over tetile or mesh, but here's a question.... Would any of your opinions change riding here in Vegas during the Summer months? I could bear the heat at 90 degrees, but 110+ is a little questionable in my mind. I know a few of you guys live out here, so what do you ride in?

I think that you will find that a lot of people here will not give up the protection that leather provides even if it means sweating their tail off. Personally I go with mesh in the really hot times, but I am also not railing around at triple digit speeds.

Comment

Actually, from what I've read in some books such as proficient motorcylcing, leather in the desert will actually help prevent you from dehydrating. Now would I want to wear black leather? Probably not.... But I'm sure you could go with light colors.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I would concider perforated Leathers for those temps. But don't think I would give up on leathers though.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

My opinion did change..
          I wear a leather/ mesh.
          Leather re-enforced sleeves and back, full back protector and
          CE approved armor in elbow/forearms and shoulders.
          I made this decision because:
          The only gear that will protect you is the gear you wear.

If you buy an expensive ($400) perferated leather
          you my be comfortable in it. Or it may be too bloody hot and
          you "risk" it and not wear it. Now where are you?
          I've ridden in Phoenix in August. Where the air coming off the
          road is 10 degrees hotter than the actual. I rode with my face shield down
          because the air was so hot. So I know what you are talking about.
          Another option is Kevlar. Much better protection than mesh (near leather).
          Price?? I have no idea but a Kevlar jacket could be a year round jacket.
          Cool enough in summer, flexable enough for a layer of "tech" fleece or gortex under it in winter.
          (I also know how cold the desert can be in winter!!) Leather is the best protection in a crash. But I can;t say this enough!!
          The only gear that will protect you is the gear you wear.

Comment

The perforated leather is what I'm leaning towards at the moment, but I didn't want to go out and buy it, and then put myself in even more danger by being in such high temperatures in leather... Thanks for the info guys...

Comment

Just remember that whatever you wear you need to keep yourself hydrated.

Comment

I'm always in leather, but then again I'm in ohio. I decided that if I think its too hot to wear the leather, then its probably too hot to ride. I know it doesn't really apply to you as your riding season would get cut dramatically by those rules. I'm not sure where I'm going with this. Work saps my brain.
                None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
                -Robert Morrison

"
                well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

philwecksr Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:00 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm always in leather, but then again I'm in ohio. I decided that if I think its too hot to wear the leather, then its probably too hot to ride. I know it doesn't really apply to you as your riding season would get cut dramatically by those rules. I'm not sure where I'm going with this. Work saps my brain.
                  Yeah, I think work has tapped my brain today also... I think it's time for some rehydration, Miller style...

Comment

Anyone know where to pick up some good leathers?

Comment

Yes.
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

For pretty good discounts check online:
                        Newenough.com (I've ordered from them before and they are great. No problems and a good deal on my helmet. They will also kickback $1 to KR all you have to do is check the option at checkout.)

Speedwerks.com (I know that KR doesn't like them but I like the sales crew there and they were always pleasant with me. I read the issue here on KR so I won't say any more about this company).

DennisKirk.com (Good deals and for what I understand really good customer service. Check out their outlet store they usually have good prices there.)

If ordering online, I would at least go to a store in your area to try the stuff on. I would look online for the item. Write down the price (with shipping)...then go down to your local cycle store and see if they have the item in stock...try it on and write down the size...then start price comparison shoppping...also if the store you are at is a few $$ more expensive you might as well buy it there...you already spent the gas to get there might as well leave with new gear...Good luck...
                        Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                        Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Working...
                        X