Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Protective pants you can put on/take off easily?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protective pants you can put on/take off easily?

Up to date, I have made it a point to wear jeans or heavy pants of some sort while riding. [I also always ride with helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots] I am wondering if there are any protective pants designed for motorcycles that could be worn over whatever pants (or shorts) I am wearing and could be fairly easily put on and taken off.

Thanks for your input.
    2000 Katana 750

Lots of makers have mc riding pants with long zippers- that works well for me. Make sure they go above the knee, below that and I can't get em off over my boots.

As an alternative, I have tried MX strap-on knee pads. Seems to work well, but havent crash-tested em...
    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Here are a few ideas.

The Decker pants are designed to provide a high degree of protection for riders and give the functionality of overpants or chaps (if you wish). The legs have...

Tour Master's Venture pants offer the features you need for street riding or touring at an amazingly low price. The overall design is an 'overpant' which...

These HT II Overpants are the best, fully-featured textile pants we offer. The basic design allow for use over regular street clothing (but you can wear them...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Check out Belstaff EZon pants. They have a zipper up the side of the leg that make them simple to get on and off. Plus you can open the legs when you stop to help cool off with out taking everything off.

Comment

Is there any worry of the zippers coming apart if I ever (and I hope I don't) had to use them?
          2000 Katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by blaircsf
            Is there any worry of the zippers coming apart if I ever (and I hope I don't) had to use them?
            Never heard of that happening in a crash, but it could. Three of the zippers on my Fieldsheer gear blew out just in normal use (pocket zippers, not leg zips) so it could happen to others. I would guess the manufacturers would bear that in mind when spec'ing zips.
            "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Chaps.. I used to wear shorts under them all the time..

The deckers are the right idea but they would be snug
              with anything heavier than boxers

Comment

anything that "comes off easily" will also do the same in the event of a crash.
                Keep this in mind
                ....I will still struggle with my leathers thank-you!

Comment

A bad zipper will blow out just as easily as a poorly designed or sewn seam.

The Belstaff pants seem pretty stout. I have not actually tested them so I cannot say for sure if they will hold up in a crash.

Keep in mind the same thing can be said about leathers. I have heard about leathers blowing out a seam or tearing along perforations.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
                    A bad zipper will blow out just as easily as a poorly designed or sewn seam..
                    You're both right in a way..
                    Most of the full length zips I have seen are really heavy.
                    (in the case of my Vanson chaps they are on the inseam as well)
                    Any good pair of pants will have heavy zips.
                    However;
                    Adding a zipper involves three possible failure points.
                    The zipper itself plus the two seam attaching the zipper.
                    So the chances can be greater of a failure on a zipper..

Having said that though the best piece of gear is the one you wear.
                    cheapo chaps are better than nothing. If you buy a piece of gear that
                    fits and is comfortable you will wear it thus protecting your self.
                    If the gear is a pain to put on/deal with you might skip it..

Comment

Thanks for all the input so far. When I said easier to get on and off, I'm not talking about warmup pants style of ease or anything, just preferably something that I could get off in a reasonable time frame once I get to work etc. I'm thinking before I buy something I will probably head down to the local motorcycle shop and just see what they have, and how they seem to work.
                      2000 Katana 750

Comment

Working...
                      X