X

Safer in leather or mesh jackets?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safer in leather or mesh jackets?

Would you consider leather to be a safer option than mesh? Or does it depend on the armor behind it?

Thanks
    2001 GSXF 600

Nothing is safer than leather..

Choice of championship racers since the
    1920's...

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
      Nothing is safer than leather..

Choice of championship racers since the
      1920's...
      +1....
      Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
      Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Leather is the way to go. Now there is leather mesh jackets out there. Leather is placed in the impact points and the rest is mesh. So you could go that way if you wanted to. Just remeber this Sweat Washes Off Road Rash Doesn't.
        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Also, while mesh provides resonable protection, it doesn't protect like leather and it is typically only good for one use. For many get-offs, leather is hardly damaged at all. Encounters with pavement while wearing mesh gear will likely still cause rash, just not as severe as squid-gear.

Comment

Well, thats pretty much scared me into a Alpinestars Spinner Jacket... thanks!

Comment

I have a leather/ mesh..
              Includes back protector, elbow/forarm and shoulder armor CE approved.
              Mesh has been a nesessary evil here in Texas..
              (105 today) But I'm not as happy as if I were wearing all leather.

Couple other notes about mesh:
              If you have a sharp eye (and maybe an odd size)
              You can get a good perferated leather for that same price as a good mesh.
              (I have seen pref leather for $120)

Mesh will not survive meeting your exhaust pipe.

Mesh may need to get scrubbed out of your wounds (ewww and Owww)

Comment

Originally posted by SKNL2
                Also, while mesh provides resonable protection, it doesn't protect like leather and it is typically only good for one use. For many get-offs, leather is hardly damaged at all. Encounters with pavement while wearing mesh gear will likely still cause rash, just not as severe as squid-gear.

OK, you got me convinced. Leather it is!
                2001 GSXF 600

Comment

Leather is one of the only things harley riders do right. Very few of them have armor, but the leather is key for road-rash prevention. I personally have three jackets, leather, armored textile, and armored mesh. I personally fell better in the armored textile, but would like the leather best if it were armored!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                  You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

depends if you frequent "gay bars"

Comment

At the gay bar gay bar gay bar. My girlfriend tried to convince me mesh would be plenty and it's too hot to wear leather, but I found a jacket I really like thats microperforate (very tiny holes?) thats supposed to breath really well and have back, shoulder and elbow armor. At first I was hesitant, but knowing what can happen with mesh, i'm thinking it's a downright necessity. I guess i'll have to play the "I made an educated decision, just as you did, let me live with it" kind of thing. Honestly I wish she wore more gear.

Comment

Mesh I dont' like. However, the advances in polymer tech. is quickly bringing textiles to perform nearly as well as leather at sub triple digit speeds. I wear a leather jacket, but am not sure I'll get another one, save for track days....
                        None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
                        -Robert Morrison

"
                        well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

Originally posted by AMorgan
                          At the gay bar gay bar gay bar. My girlfriend tried to convince me mesh would be plenty and it's too hot to wear leather, but I found a jacket I really like thats microperforate (very tiny holes?) thats supposed to breath really well and have back, shoulder and elbow armor. At first I was hesitant, but knowing what can happen with mesh, i'm thinking it's a downright necessity. I guess i'll have to play the "I made an educated decision, just as you did, let me live with it" kind of thing. Honestly I wish she wore more gear.
                          Maybe we can convince her:

This:

becomes this:

We can get a little more graphic, but the thread doesn't have a "NWS" on it.

Comment

go with perforated leather, if it's too hot for gear it's too hot to ride. that's why my car has AC.

Comment

The guy at the store convinced me that the Infinit Sports Textile/Mesh Jacket I bought was virtually bullet proof because they have kevlar in the weave. I hope I didn't get jacked.
                              R.I.P. Marc

Comment

Working...
                              X