X

Anyone in the military?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone in the military?

I'm in at Army stationed at Fort Hood Texas and everyhting here is safety....everything. When we are on and off post we have to wear long pants, gloves, helmet, road guard vest, and boots that go over the ankle! It sucks. Safety is cool and stuff but come on. I was just wondering of any other soldiers out there have such strict commands.
    [email protected]
    2002 Suzuki Katana 600
    2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    2003 Dadge Stratus R/T
    1998 Jeep Cherokee

I am not in the army or anything and that's my normal gear for riding
    Guylaine
    Try and keep up now

Comment

I'm not military, but I work on an Air Force Base. To ride to work, I have to have all that gear. Luckily, I can ditch the reflective vest once I'm off base. Otherwise, I wear all of that anyway.
      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
      -Terence

Comment

I used to be at Hood in 97, but didnt have a bike then. Are you in 1 CAV or 4 ID?

Comment

Go NAVY! Beat Army!

Comment

I too work on an AF Base as a civillian. I have to follow all those when on base. I gave a call to the front gate and asked about all the guidelines for riding on base and I was told that as long as my long sleeves have some kind of reflective material I dont have to wear the vest.

Comment

They are the same way up here man. I unfortunately live within two blocks of my CO (off-post), so if I go riding around without my gear he is likely to see me.

I just got one of those ICON Mil-Spec Vests... I like it so far. Worth the money IMO with the adjustable sides and see through ID holder on the left shoulder. Also has a pocket on the right shoulder that is perfect for my garage door opener. Don't even have to take it out, just feel the button and push it.

If you haven't seen that vest, here is the link. They have been available in every Suzuki Dealership I have been in around here. Not too pricey either.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
              who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Navy has the same requirements for enlisted -- you have to wear full gear all the time, on or off base. For civillians the requirements only applies while you are in a duty status, which means that if you are "on the clock", and you ride, you have to wear your gear. The requirements apply to anyone while on a base. I'm pretty sure these are DoD requirements, not just the services, but the regional commanders have the ability to come up with their own, more strict, policies.
                1995 Suzuki Katana 600
                1981 Suzuki GS450 (Only moves when I push it)

I am "a halfway decent rider and wise-ass who is way too narcissistic for his or her own good." (Results of http://www.bytebrothers.org/SquidTest.htm, July 12, 2006)

Comment

You described my normal riding gear. I do not see anything over the top about what they are asking you to wear.

Comment

I am in the Air Force Reserves so what I wear when I am not there is no big deal. I always where long pants helmet gloves boots and leather jacket. I know that I have never wore a reflective vest or anything on base. Some base are more strict than others. That ICON mil spec vest is nice and worth the money.
                    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Forgot to mention that, at least for my base, that the requirement is "bright clothing", not necessarily a reflective vest. I do have an Icon Mil-Spec Vest, but the base police don't say anything when I wear my blue Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket.

I have the yellow Icon vest. If you look around while you are riding, how much yellow do you see? And if there is yellow, it stands out well. Just my $.002.
                      1995 Suzuki Katana 600
                      1981 Suzuki GS450 (Only moves when I push it)

I am "a halfway decent rider and wise-ass who is way too narcissistic for his or her own good." (Results of http://www.bytebrothers.org/SquidTest.htm, July 12, 2006)

Comment

Army Soldier here! They follow DoD guidlines even though each branch has their own regulations. The Safety course completion is also mandatory on most posts and bases. I also got the military spec vest in yellow and love it. I have had a lot of guys off post ask where I got it. Makes going through the front gat a snap with the ID card holder. A cell phone fits perfect too in the right front pocket and my wallet in the lower back flap. I have not been to "The Hood" in a while. Be safe!
                        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                        JOHN 16:33

Comment

Originally posted by katanasoldier
                          ....The Safety course completion is also mandatory on most posts and bases.....
                          Actually an MSF Course is MANDATORY to be able to get your post decal. Or at least it is at every post I have been to.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                          who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Yup. To even ride on post Legally you have to complete the course. If not, you risk the MPs giving you a nice ticket and calling your commander.
                            "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                            JOHN 16:33

Comment

Also a AF civilian, and I have to put my ID in the right zipper pocket, as the cops need me to always pull the ID out...

Comment

Working...
                              X