X

Gear Review: SetUp Vision Boots

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Review: SetUp Vision Boots

As a result of low-siding my bike and rolling my ankle, I decided I needed some boots. I was absolutely rabid on ankle and foot protection, but also wanted something that was decently comfortable walking around in, since I was planning on commuting to work.

I landed on the SetUp Vision boot for a few reasons.
    - They were QA'ed by Sidi, and I had heard VERY good things about them
    - They were nowhere near as expensive as Sidi
    - Provided excellent ankle protection, hard armor around both sides of the bone
    - Foot sliders seemed good, and were removable

After riding with them for about a month and a half, I can tell you that they are extremely comfortable. However, they are still a race boot, and not designed for extra long walks. I was suckered into walking up, down, and back up our local 2 story mall, and I had small blisters on my pinky toes afterwards. However, my feet didn't really hurt until the last lap.

Crash protection:

I haven't gone down at speed with these, the best I can tell you is that I dropped the bike at no speed turning in a parking lot at a funny angle. Little scratches on the toe sliders, but not a bit of damage to my ankle, and my leg didn't twist at all.

All in all, this is a well-deserved $130, and will keep your feet and joints safe for a while.

Thanks for the review!!

I've been wondering about them for some time.

Comment

Yeah , I'll probably get some of those one day . Good to hear a positive review .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

It is a nice looking boot. Does it offer much lateral protection? That is the one reason why I want Sidi Vertigo boots. The external frame that they have seems like it would do a decent job at keeping your ankle from rolling over.

Comment

tzortn:

I really haven't had a problem with that. Like I said, these haven't been battle tested, but from what I can simulate sitting down and trying to roll my ankle, I get a lot of resistance.

Comment

I've got a pair of these and love them! They seem to barely just run a little large, so when I first got them I actually was missing a few shifts. I doubled up on the socks for a tight fit and feels good and precise now. Being able to double up on the socks worked in my favor because previously my feet would go numb in the boots from the TLR, now two layers keeps them good.

The only negative thing about them is I'm slightly concerned about the small velcro portion that covers the zipper. A tiny corner of the velcro has loosened a bit. I think much of this is my fault though, just ripping them open by the tab and not by the velcro itself. Since being careful about it, no problems. Also note that I wear mine every time I ride, so they get used A LOT.

All in all, when you get used to them, it makes for a much more precise and rewarding ride. They are also relatively comfy and you won't wanna ride without them again.

.....They've got a thin hard sole that's not really intended for walking too much, but when you do it'll sound like high heels.
            '01 TL1000R

Comment

For those that were wondering what they look like.
              Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
              - Albert Einstein

Comment

Cheech did you notice they ran large?
                Mysta what size did you get?

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                  Cheech did you notice they ran large?
                  Mysta what size did you get?
                  Mine are EUR 43 or US 9.5.

I don't have very wide feet, and width-wise, they seem to fit well. I actually do wear a size 9 shoe, but according to newenough.com the sizing for a Euro 43 was 9 to 9 1/2. The "8 to 8 1/2" would have been too small. I guess if your shoe size is a 8, 9, 10, 11 etc. just double up on the socks. They seem to be made to match the half sizes. But again, in my case I'm glad to wear two pairs of socks because the vibration numbs my feet on the tiller.
                  '01 TL1000R

Comment

Much appreciated, I was actually looking at ordering these just in the past few days but was looking for some more info on it. Now I've got what I wanted to hear and I plan on getting them.

Thanks alot!

Comment

black_peter:

yeah, somehow I forgot to mention that. i tried on a size 44 and those were massive, so I opted for the 43's instead. I haven't doubled up on socks, since I don't feel that they are that incredibly big, but there is some movement where there ususally isn't for a shoe that fits snugly. This does not mean, however, that the safety of the boot is compromised because of it.

Comment

Jeez you guys have tiny feet!!

I'll let you know what the result is for the "man"
                        sized version!

Comment

Working...
                        X