X

Thoughts?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts?

Okay, I am currently helping a friend look for a first bike. I told him about the Katana and he likes them, he sat on my pre, but on our CL there is only post that are around 3k and his budget is around 2k.

He is a bigger guy, maybe 6'2 210lbs. We looked at a Yamaha Seca II today and that was definitely a no go. Then we went to cycle gear to look at some gear for him, and the employee told him that a ducati or mv agusta would be a great first bike... yeah he was a definite douche. So now I am helping him look and I am unsure of what bikes may be good for him. He tried a Buell blast, but it was way too small for him, so I am assuming any 250 may be too small. He might try out a newer ninja 250 just to see. He isn't the best of rider right now so I want to stay away from anything too powerful (supersports), but its hard to find something that will fit his size as well. And being a relatively new rider myself I am limited in knowledge with other bikes.

So I am open for suggestions. Thanks for your help.

I'm 6'2" 190lbs. I started on a ninja 250. I still ride a ninja 250. Not much anymore but enough. I find its upright seating position more comfortable than the Kat (I have an 06 600). It's not as fast, but who cares - it still tops out at a high enough speed to get you arrested. They're cheap, easy to maintain (except valve adjustments - I do not have tiny elf hands goddammit Kawasaki...) cheap to insure, forgiving, and all around great for learning on. Riding and maintenance. Buy one, log a few thousand miles, learn the basics, sell it for what you paid for it, and upgrade.
    My .02
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Gs500, ninja 500

Comment

SV650, Versys, Transalp, V-Strom, CB500/600.
        Don't trade it - upgrade it!

Comment

My '91 Kat 750 is my first bike but I can understand how that might not be a good choice for everyone.

Comment

Maybe one of these?

'99 Kat 600 in Bellingham area:
            http://bellingham.craigslist.org/mcy/4192955835.html

'05 Kat 600 in Portland:
            http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/4193475146.html

The Kat 600 would work well for a first timer, even as big as your friend. I'm quite a bit taller and heavier, the Kat is my first bike and it will still out run me if I want it to.
            Last edited by skjeflo; 11-18-2013, 02:58 PM.

Comment

i'd go with the red one. i hate the inflamed hemoroid tail end on the 98-02's

Comment

Thanks all. I went with him to look at a ninja 500 and he bought it. Its actually a real nice bike. I had to ride it 40 miles home for him since he doesn't have gear yet. It has some get up and go along with a comfortable riding position.

Comment

Originally posted by cupofresh View Post
                  Thanks all. I went with him to look at a ninja 500 and he bought it. Its actually a real nice bike. I had to ride it 40 miles home for him since he doesn't have gear yet. It has some get up and go along with a comfortable riding position.

I did this same thing for a friend just a few months ago, weird coincidences. He picked up an EX500 90-something I don't recall for about 900 bucks.

I rode it home for him as he had yet to learn to ride, no helmet / lic etc. Only sketchy part was no decent rear views on it, the one kept flopping down...since then he has fixed it up very nice.

You did very well for your friend

Comment

Originally posted by cupofresh View Post
                    Hook him up with some gear... [ame="http://www.amazon.com/VikingCycle-Ironside-Motorcycle-Jacket-Men/dp/B00DU0DVZI/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A5X55GNSO0C3G"]Amazon.com: VikingCycle Ironside Motorcycle Jacket for Men L: Automotive[/ame] Stuff is getting soooooooooooo affordable nowadays

Ninja 500 is a nice bike too, great starter bike. If anything, one of my biggest regrets was not getting a starter bike that I didn't mind laying down. I got a 09 250R and I laid it down a couple times.. wish I had a bike that I didn't have t oworry about.

Comment

Working...
                    X