X

'82 Yamaha Vison- worth looking at?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '82 Yamaha Vison- worth looking at?

There's a nice looking '82 Vision in the paper for sale with 21K miles for $600.
    From what I remember, they were pretty sophisticated for the time, having a water cooled 550cc V twin, mono shock suspension.
    Are they any good or are they mechanical nightmares? Looking for a small toss around bike that I could teach my wife on.
    Here's is the ad:http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/3391311880.html

I had a vision.. what a POS. the start relay and the charging circuit were the weak links.. didn't handle well at all. mine had the full fairing.. it was black.. but it got nicknamed purple rain...LOL
    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

The 82 model also had an air box mod that needed to be done to make it run right. If that mod has not been done I doubt you can find the kit or parts to do so.

Comment

A 550cc bike with a top speed of 80mph? Surely that speedo was pinned most of the time.
        sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
        1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
        2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
        First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
        Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

I'd spend that money on an old ninja 250 instead.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. It is snowing now, so I doubt anyone is going to look at it. If he reposts it with a lower price of $500,I'll go check it out.
            I remember when they came out, they didn't sell. Back in '85, I'd see ads in the LATIMES classifieds from dealers selling brand new leftover Yammi Visions for around $1500. It was a strange time when some cool bikes could be had for 50% off retail, stuff like 550 katana's,etc.

Comment

Did you end up buying it? I just picked up a Vision from the Tahoe area for $150, looking forward to getting it running again

Comment

I loved my bike. I had an 82' but had to sell it because of space issues and other needs. I did not have any problem besides the charging system and overheating. The fist thing I did when I got the bike was install a toggle switch for the fan and that instantly solved the problem. Otherwise the fan wouldn't come on until it was too late.

2 Years after I sold the bike my friend said he got his first bike to learn how to ride and a small project. He asked me if I could pick it up. He told me what the bike was and what not. He found a red 82 vision. I told him that I once owned one as well and then was in for a surprise when I went to pick it up.

The instant I saw the bike I knew it was mine. He didn't believe me so when I walked up to the bike while we waited for the owner to get the keys and I reached the plastic pop out section that says vision and took out the spare key inside. It had not been taken care of and was in bad shape. After a few weeks and some work it was running well again.

I would say it's an ok bike if you can get it cheap enough. However I found it hard to find parts. Until my Kat I had only owned direct drive bikes so I already knew what I was in for and would never mess with it myself.

Good Luck!

Comment

Have to reply back (as op, it would be rude not to!). The seller dropped the price of the bike by $100, but the stories of carb problems and parts availability scared me off.
                  I didn't buy it. Seller even revised ad to say that if didn't sell, he was hauling it to the junkyard!

Comment

Working...
                  X