X

Got offered a 08 ninja 250 for Kat 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got offered a 08 ninja 250 for Kat 600

I posted my Kat on Craigslist and guy offered a very clean 08 ninja 250. Is it crazy to even think about entertaining the offer? Kat is an 05 with way more miles.

My initial thought was "I'm a small guy and I think it could possibly be very fun"
    Not to mention I'm looking for something thats a little more sporty.
    I just wanted some other input on it.

Ps- did know where to start this thread so I put it here

I think it can be hella fun trashing through town on the lil 250's. Makes every trip a GP race lolol. But I am also fearful of the 250's for they do not have the power when you very well may need it to get out of a situation. Ultimately it's up to you, at this point I don't know which would have/hold their value higher for possible re-sale or trade in.
    I'm interested in how these Ninja 300's will be next year! :P
    2001 GSX600F

Comment

Yeah, I've read about those. Aren't they supposed to have abs and fuel injection?

Comment

That little ninja is a ton of fun. I bought an older model for my wife, it would do highway dotted with ease. Plenty of power off you were in the right gear. Very flickable, Great corner speed and awesome gas mileage. Pretty much bullet proof little beasts. The 08 and up are even better with huge aftermarket support.
        Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

$ wise... the 250 is aprox = sale value as your kat, if not actually a little more. It will also keep a much higher resell value in the long run over your kat. In 5 years, you would still be able to sell that 250 for as much as your valued at now, but the kat ... lucky to get 1/2 that.

It's a fun bike. It's really fun for curvy roads, and light riding around town. It's not as condusive to a longer ride, will lug a bit on elevation changes = more shifting, but gets awesome mpg (about double your Kat).

If your putting less than 150 miles per ride on the Kat... I'd say go for it. I'd also say you can probably get more $ easier out of the 250 if your still looking to sell a bike.

Just keep in mind the top speed is around 90, and generally most times your pushing really hard to keep 75mph on the 250. Not much left if your highway riding.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I'd take the 250 if you want a sporty bike, keep the katana if you do a lot of highway cruising.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Yeah, it seems like its a good hand off. The only highway I ride is a 65 mph hwy up to the twisties for about 15 miles. I'm about 5'7 and 120 pounds. I would assume it'd pull 65-70 up the hwy long enough for me to get there. And to add little more umph there's always the jet kit option too, right?

And yeah the blue book value I looked at was about 500 more on the 250 than the Kat.

Comment

I would take that trade all day long, but then again, ive been thinking about getting a 250 for awhile.

Comment

Also remember that the 250 holds its value much better than a Katana, much better than any other bike other than Harley or Ducati actually.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                    Also remember that the 250 holds its value much better than a Katana, much better than any other bike other than Harley or Ducati actually.
                    I think that's a really big factor in pushing me toward this.

Comment

Btw, this is the bike.

Sorry about picture quality. Only one I had. Supposed to be meeting with the guy Monday.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sekter View Post
                        I think it can be hella fun trashing through town on the lil 250's. Makes every trip a GP race lolol. But I am also fearful of the 250's for they do not have the power when you very well may need it to get out of a situation. Ultimately it's up to you, at this point I don't know which would have/hold their value higher for possible re-sale or trade in.
                        I'm interested in how these Ninja 300's will be next year! :P

I saw a ninja 300 last week at the stealership. I didn't recognize it, and said "WTH is that?" it does have fuel injection, not sure about ABS. they did a great job making it look more like the othersuper sports in their line, and less like a 250. same type of body work, fully tank, not as narrow a profile

there is intentionally no "300" decals on it anywhere. it looked really nice

Originally posted by rogue_statue View Post
                        Btw, this is the bike.

Sorry about picture quality. Only one I had. Supposed to be meeting with the guy Monday.

if you are 120 pounds, you might enjoy being able to really handle the 250 easier than the kat. sounds like a good fit and people really love their 250s.

even if you put a jet kit in it, I wouldn't expect a big difference in creating an exhilirating ride. but i'm sure you could still have plenty of fun on it
                        Last edited by edromero; 10-30-2012, 02:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        previous rides
                        06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
                        next ride - another kat

Comment

I owned an 06 ninja 250 (old body style )and it was a very fun bike through town and in twisties. It's tougher on long trips or at highway speeds but all things considered I feel like I had more fun on my 250 than on the 600 now. Just my 2cents.
                          sigpic2006 GSX600F

Comment

I love the 250 because you can literally approach almost every turn at WOT and just throw it (and yourself, hopefully) through the corner.

I don't think I ever backed the thing much past 70% throttle while riding... and still stayed within most of the local speed limits. LOL:
                            Disclaimer: If what I say seems condescending to you, it's probably not. I don't know (or care) if someone already knows something I'm saying, because for every person that does know, 100 lurkers may not. No offense is intended, but feel free to take it.

2001 Katana 750 'fighter build in progress

Comment

Little bikes are great fun, really. I think there's a possibility of disappointment no matter how enticing it seems! If your not happy with the Kat, look at ways to make you happy with it instead of getting a lightweight. Bike ain't about what its worth in money, its what it makes you feel! Can't put a price on that!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X