X

Futura

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Futura

I'm looking to add to my '99 750 within the next few months.

The bike of choice I have been looking at is the Aprilia RST1000 Futura.

I'm looking for any comments about ride, build, things to look out for etc..
    Anything would be appreciated.
    Attached Files
    I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly.

I nearly bought one myself a few years ago. It looked like a great bike but it was never popular. It's not just another Jap bike - and that in itself appealed.

Great engine, powerful, comfortable ... and when new, looked and felt excellent in terms of quality. I liked the styling, but plenty didn't - although the dash was rather fugly. However, once I started looking and researching, they did have some niggly issues like rectifiers and if not well looked after, they seemed to age quickly with paint and plastics fading. Plus, parts and servicing can become expensive.

If you decide to get one, look for an 03 model because a few things were upgraded including the fuel mapping, which made a huge difference apparently.

Comment

The Futura is a great bike, plagued by bad electronics (especially the dash board) and failures with the king bearing in the SSSA.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

they are very rare and hard to find. Ne-Oublie had one until 2 rallys ago (DAMN DEER!). It was a beautiful machine. Meanstreak has one as well, he rides the wheels off that thing and there are pictures to prove it !
        Some people are a lot like Slinkys.
        Not really good for anything, but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by JACKAL View Post
          Meanstreak has one as well, he rides the wheels off that thing and there are pictures to prove it !
          I believe there are videos of him lapping guys on liter RRs with hard bags on...
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

that's a dam nice looking bike.. I've personally never even heard of them tho. tho the nearest aprilia dealer is a few hundred Km's away, if not more. kinda speeks to how popular they are.
            if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys, I have been doing some research and there are one or two issues incl. the mapping mentioned. All bikes have issues, though Futura owners give great comments about it.

I wanted something a little different and found this by accident and really like the look of it as well as that thumping twin sound, and the fact that it is actually useful for communting aswell as fun runs (just like the Kat). I'm just waiting for some money to come through then will be seriously checking out whats available, I have been watching 5/6 on ebay for past few weeks and seen 01-02 models for about £1700-£3000 (approx $2,700-£4,800) with mileage from around 10,000.

scottynoface - actually seen that vid on youtube, does seem bit weird with bags still on LOL.
              Last edited by bfckarlos; 09-08-2012, 10:35 AM.
              I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly.

Comment

Working...
              X