X

Tl1000s

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tl1000s

I got an interesting deal yesterday. Can buy a TL1000S for €1500 ($1800).
    Has 35000km on the clock and looks really good (has full body fairings).
    I want to go an check it out because it seems like a really good price. But that could also mean there's something wrong with it. Does anyone know anything specific to look for with this bike?

Here's what she looks like.

Thanks for any info and advice.
    Last edited by ErrEs; 07-20-2012, 04:43 PM.
    Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Check the welds on the steering stem for cracks is about the only thing that comes to mind other than the usual things. These beasts wheelie with ease, and being a big heavy bike come down hard. The only reason I mention it is years ago (probably on TLplanet) I remember seeing on that the welds gave out on.

BTW isn't that a TL1000R?, over her the TL1000S had a mini fairing like the early SV650's.
    Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by woobie View Post
      Check the welds on the steering stem for cracks is about the only thing that comes to mind other than the usual things. These beasts wheelie with ease, and being a big heavy bike come down hard. The only reason I mention it is years ago (probably on TLplanet) I remember seeing on that the welds gave out on.

BTW isn't that a TL1000R?, over her the TL1000S had a mini fairing like the early SV650's.
      That's true, but in this case it's a TL with modified fairings. The owner didn't like the look of a half naked bike and changed it.

Good tip on the welds of the steering stem. It'll be an increase in power for sure. I was under the impression that this bike was pretty light though. Dry wheight should be around 185kg (408lbs) compared to, for instance, a GSXR1000 2012 which is +200kg (445lbs). But I will check on it for sure.

I also read they had an issue with a leaking fuel tank, but that has been fixed in a factory recall.
      Last edited by ErrEs; 07-20-2012, 04:43 PM.

sigpic

Comment

I've just been given a general warning on them before. It was probably something to do with the welds already mentioned. On the other hand, I think the front of that bike looks sooooooo good.

Comment

Debatebly the welds....It's wheelie machine! A decent "normal" weld could get the crap kicked out of them if the rider didn't know how to bring them down right. So it really depended on the prior riders and if they "liked" to do wheelies or not. The bike is about as easy as it gets to pull one.
          My YouTube Videos
          My motorcyle map!

Comment

Originally posted by ygolohcysp View Post
            I've just been given a general warning on them before. It was probably something to do with the welds already mentioned. On the other hand, I think the front of that bike looks sooooooo good.
            Yeah the front is so good looking. It'll get my attention every time again.
            Originally posted by Omnivore View Post
            Debatebly the welds....It's wheelie machine! A decent "normal" weld could get the crap kicked out of them if the rider didn't know how to bring them down right. So it really depended on the prior riders and if they "liked" to do wheelies or not. The bike is about as easy as it gets to pull one.
            Will ask for sure about the wheelies. Thanks for the info guys.

sigpic

Comment

do some research about them i was looking at buying one cheap awhile back and online reviews on these bikes are bad. they are not relieable

Comment

Originally posted by blackonblacksvt03 View Post
                do some research about them i was looking at buying one cheap awhile back and online reviews on these bikes are bad. they are not relieable
                I didn't know that. The few reviews I read were talking about flaws in the fuel tank and steering damper (wich have been fixed on this bike), but stated that the engine is very reliable. I also read somewhere that the V-twin was used on some other bikes too like the Benelli and something called a Bakker Baracuda (Dutch brand racing bike if I'm not mistaken).

Do you remember where you read about reliability? I'd like to read up on that.

sigpic

Comment

Ok, it's no deal. Needed new tyres, chain, sprockets and front damping needs revised (bleeding). Finding spare parts for this bike shouldn't be a problem around here but it's just too big a cost at this time (€500-€1000 on top of the bike's price). Also the guy avoided answering if it had ever been on a race track or not, so it was an easy thing to walk away from in the end.
                  Last edited by ErrEs; 07-28-2012, 03:03 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Curious as to why it would matter if it was tracked or not. My bike is tracked and is in MUCH better shape due to this since your pushing it and it needs to get through tech...
                    I am a Penn State fanatic.
                    Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Originally posted by ErrEs View Post
                      Also the guy avoided answering if it had ever been on a race track or not
                      I understand you'd like to know, and him not answering is shady, but why would you not want a bike just because it's been tracked? Most track bikes are in better shape than 99% of bikes on the street.
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by soulpatch View Post
                        Curious as to why it would matter if it was tracked or not. My bike is tracked and is in MUCH better shape due to this since your pushing it and it needs to get through tech...
                        Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                        I understand you'd like to know, and him not answering is shady, but why would you not want a bike just because it's been tracked? Most track bikes are in better shape than 99% of bikes on the street.
                        There's no tech here, you just pay a standard fee get some explanations about track rules and are free to ride.
                        Here being ridden on track often means that the engine has lost a significant amount of mileage becuse they rode it over an hour or more bouncing the limiter and not servicing it afterwards. Chances are they crashed the bike too and patched it up for sale. I'm not saying this is def the case but when they refuse to answer when inquired about it and change the subject repeatedly, that sets of multiple alarms in my head. This, in addition to the new tires, chain and sprockets it needs and the traces of bleeding, was more than enough for me to walk away.
                        Last edited by ErrEs; 07-30-2012, 02:29 AM.

sigpic

Comment

The TL's also had cooling problems as I recall. Not sure if they were ever resolved or not.
                          -Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by ErrEs View Post
                            There's no tech here, you just pay a standard fee get some explanations about track rules and are free to ride.
                            Here being ridden on track often means that the engine has lost a significant amount of mileage becuse they rode it over an hour or more bouncing the limiter and not servicing it afterwards. Chances are they crashed the bike too and patched it up for sale. I'm not saying this is def the case but when they refuse to answer when inquired about it and change the subject repeatedly, that sets of multiple alarms in my head. This, in addition to the new tires, chain and sprockets it needs and the traces of bleeding, was more than enough for me to walk away.
                            You are buying an OLD bike if you are getting a TL so tires, chain, sprockets, brake maintenance and such are all par for the course. Even adding say $500 for all that it is to be expected.

If they crashed it and caused damage that woudl be easy to see.

No one goes to the track and pings the rev limiter all day. Do you ride the bike harder? Sure. But if they did not take care of it then you woudl know once you started it up if it turned over. Tech or not he woudl be thrown off the track by the other riders should his bike be unsafe in any way for the track. It is just the way it is with us track riders. It is our safety as well as his.

Originally posted by steves View Post
                            The TL's also had cooling problems as I recall. Not sure if they were ever resolved or not.
                            And the rear suspension was garbage...
                            Last edited by soulpatch; 07-30-2012, 07:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            I am a Penn State fanatic.
                            Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

it would be a shorter list to make of things that are not garbage on a TL

Comment

Working...
                              X