X

1986 Yamaha FZX Fazer 700

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 Yamaha FZX Fazer 700

Just picked this bike up for $2100 and it is in near perfect condition. It has new tires, brakes, cleaned carbs, oil and filter changed, air cleaner changed, new battery, new chain and sprockets. It is beautiful. It is a throaty, powerful, lightweight bike. I love it and bought it for my girlfriend to learn on, however, i may have to sell it. She feels that it may be a little too much for her at this moment.
    Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
    Current Bikes:
    1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Great score! Keep the bike.....change gf's.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by STULER View Post
      Just picked this bike up for $2100 and it is in near perfect condition. It has new tires, brakes, cleaned carbs, oil and filter changed, air cleaner changed, new battery, new chain and sprockets. It is beautiful. It is a throaty, powerful, lightweight bike. I love it and bought it for my girlfriend to learn on, however, i may have to sell it. She feels that it may be a little too much for her at this moment.

To much... as in too much power?

This probably is a response to how quickly bikes will accel vs throttle input. The biggest answer is really just learning throttle control.

The next possible answer is ... swap the throttle tube for one that changes the turn ratio... so that it takes much more turning to move the cable. This in effect would make it "less" responsive and poweful for the same input.

If it was to the point of needing to turn the throttle 2x as much for example, that would mean to get full throttle power she would need actually re-grab the throttle.

In effect, it's a simple throttle "governor".

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        To much... as in too much power?

This probably is a response to how quickly bikes will accel vs throttle input. The biggest answer is really just learning throttle control.

The next possible answer is ... swap the throttle tube for one that changes the turn ratio... so that it takes much more turning to move the cable. This in effect would make it "less" responsive and poweful for the same input.

If it was to the point of needing to turn the throttle 2x as much for example, that would mean to get full throttle power she would need actually re-grab the throttle.

In effect, it's a simple throttle "governor".

Krey
        well shes really short and cant touch the ground and the sound intimidates her
        Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
        Current Bikes:

Comment

Ear plugs and stilts LOL. see if you can get a lowering kit and swap out the can
          Ride like it's your last ride
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DarkFury View Post
            Ear plugs and stilts LOL. see if you can get a lowering kit and swap out the can
            The can is stock lol but its loud as hell!
            Current Bikes:

Comment

I would shine a light down the can and make sure the guts are still all there
              and see if you can soften up the rear shocks a little to get it to
              settle farther with her on it.
              just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by djdaredevil View Post
                I would shine a light down the can and make sure the guts are still all there
                and see if you can soften up the rear shocks a little to get it to
                settle farther with her on it.
                just my .02
                I'd rather sell it and get my money back and get her like a rebel 250. This bike has almost 90 hp, wayyy to much for a beginner. I thought it would be a good bike for a starter, but thats cause when i rode it it didnt seem fast (compared to my CBR1100xx and ZX14 lol)
                Current Bikes:

Comment

Good point I didnt realize the had that much power.
                  If buying a 250 I would try and get a new one most can be
                  had for around 4000 and hold their value like crazy.
                  most of the used ones around me they want 2000-3000
                  for anyway so for a little more you get her a new bike
                  that she might ride for a few extra years because its new.

Comment

My wife rode a EX500 3 times, then hopped on my 86 Fazer. She loved the low rpm torque, since she didn't have to rev it to the moon to accelerate at a decent pace, and it isn't really critical to have it in the right gear all the time. I can sart from a dead stop in 3rd gear on mine, and slow to 15-20mh riding 2up in 6th gear, take a corner, and smoothly accelerate again without touching the shifter. Nice bikes, but not really as light as they feel. They weigh right around 485lbs if it is showroom stock (although that was still 45lbs lighter than the 86 FZR750). I still have mine and love it.
                    John,
                    '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                    sigpic

Comment

Bike sold about 2 months ago. Havent picked up a replacement yet.
                      Current Bikes:

Comment

Working...
                      X