X

2007 Hyosung gt650r

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Hyosung gt650r

Looking into getting one of these soon possibly. Stopping by the guy's house after work and was seeing if any of you have had any experience with this bike.

From the reviews I have read, it sounds like a solid bike but with sloppy factory brakes.

Here's the posting I found on CL:
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'

I personally would never buy one because I dont trust the brand.

Comment

Sin has one/had one/worked on one I believe. He'd be a good source of info.
      Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

I do not know anything about this brand, however I have seen it around a bit more in the past two years.
        For that $$$ I would just get an SV650s.
        When the time comes to sell the bike the SV will be easier to move.
        http://www.wickedelements.com

^^^^^^

Comment

It's basically a suzuki with off brand frame and some misc parts. Several mechanic members here say they are great bikes for the price, but ... they are econo priced bikes. As such, as you already mentioned... some things could use a major upgrade right out the door... like brakes and suspension.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            It's basically a suzuki with off brand frame and some misc parts. Several mechanic members here say they are great bikes for the price, but ... they are econo priced bikes. As such, as you already mentioned... some things could use a major upgrade right out the door... like brakes and suspension.

Krey
            you mean the two most important things a bike should have? good brakes and suspension? haha just from that i wouldnt buy it, but then again i did just upgrade my brakes and suspension
            if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
              Sin has one/had one/worked on one I believe. He'd be a good source of info.
              Yeah , he liked it . From reviews I've read , they're slightly down on power compared to similar (SV650) bikes , and kinda cheap-feeling . But they cost a LOT less , and all-in-all don't suck .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

Krey
                Are we talking like, mounting bike grade brakes and suspension, like the Zero Motors DS electric motorcycle was (until this year) or just outdated?

I considered a Hyosung back in the day since there seem to be a lot of them in San Diego near Pendleton (and have ONLY seen them in the SD area)... so let me ask this, how does a Hyosung GT650R stack up against a pre-97 Kat 600?

Here's a review of a later GT-650R...
                Last edited by black&blue; 05-11-2012, 06:28 PM.
                Black & Blue - Kludge Fixed Katana - 1990 Katana GSX-600F [out of service - engine swap started 9/8/12; ETA 9/30/12]
                Beaten and bruised, clawing its way back from the dead for the 3rd time. 2-up tourer
                2001 Buell Blast 515cc, V&H Exh, Buell Pro-Series Intake, Stage IV Jetting, Raptor II Streetfighter Front Headlight/Fairing Assembly, Dual HIDs -- "The Misfit"

Comment

Originally posted by boomer_95 View Post
                  you mean the two most important things a bike should have? good brakes and suspension? haha just from that i wouldnt buy it, but then again i did just upgrade my brakes and suspension
                  You ride a katana and are criticizing another good for having subpar suspension and brakes from the factory? Paging Dr pot this is Dr kettle.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Alrighty, let me shed some light. My buddy has an 08 GT650R. I ride it whenever he comes over around the neighborhood. It's not a horrible bike. It IS a budget bike, though. The brakes aren't horrid. Worked fine in my opinion. He tests them on a regular basis doing stunts with it (Go figure, stupid IMO.) and when I ride it they bring me to a stop pretty quickly. Acceleration isn't the same as other sport bikes, but it's a v-twin, not an inline 4, so it's not going to be the same as the others. It's cheap on insurance, and cheap for parts, (also easy to find). Acceleration is as expected, but it's not going to be doing tons of wheelies out of no-where either. He cruises on the freeway at 100+ every day when he's doing long rides and has no problem. Handling is alright, however, squirrelly when doing 2 up and your passenger even hiccups.

All in all, it's a decent bike for a commuter, I don't know that it'd be great if you ride a lot, as hes already wanted to trade it for a Hyabusa. Just be aware, it's a value bike, and it's not respected like the others you can get for the price.

97 Katana 600

Comment

Well I went a rode it last Friday. Not too shabby really. Quick accelleration and had a more 'sporty' ergos than that of my Kat. But not to the point of being uncomfortable.

Weight felt close to the Kat.

May be buying it next week....will keep you all posted.

Read a lot of reviews and test rides of it (I do my research). All say it's not a badd ride at all but all DO say the same on the stock brakes....replace 'em. Which, the owner already has.

And compared to the 39k+ miles I have on the Kat, the 3k miles this Hyo has makes me think I'll be riding it for a long time. And if I grow tired of it over the course of the riding season, I could sell it for as much as I bought it.
                      The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'

Comment

I wouldnt have one as my only bike...

Buy it cheap, keep the katana, thrash the Hyo till it breaks.
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                        X