X

R60/5 bmw

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R60/5 bmw

The second BMW I bought was an R60/5-- back in the early 80's. I was living in Oklahoma but had to go to a conference in Richmond, VA -- where there is a very old BMW/Ducati dealership. They had a pretty decent motorcycle museum next door, too. Don't know if they are still open for business anymore.

Anyway I was out walking around the sidewalk where they had all their used BMWERS for sale and a very proper gentleman rode up on what appeared to be a brand new R60/5.

I went over and admired the bike. He told me he had 8 BMWs and needed some space to buy a new one -- so was trading this one in. I got real interested. I had come by this shop many times between other meetings there and bought accessories and such and knew the owner.

I asked, "You already made a deal?" "Yes" -- I asked, "You mind if I ask what they are giving you trade in?" "$1600". Wow. I asked, "You mind if I ask the owner if I can offer you $1800 cash instead?" "Nope"

The owner was fine with that. I bought it right then and there without even sitting on it or taking a ride. Had to get a friend to ship it back to Oklahoma for me but that was cheap enough -- he just added it onto the next truck going west to drop off.

For pure simplicity it is hard to beat the older BMWs. It had shaft drive, manually adjusted steering damper, cruise control of a sort and anybody with half a brain could take it all the way apart if need be and adjust or fix whatever needed fixin'.

I should have kept that one. I sold it to a friend. He has it in his hay barn up in Missouri. When I go visit he always rolls it out and kicks it once or twice and it starts right up -- "insult to injury!" But at least I can go visit it!

Sold my last BMWER last month - R80RT -- first touring bike with actually designed/built on fairing, hardbags, etc. But I don't miss it nearly as much as that R60 -- oh well, used the money to buy the Kat 750 so can't complain.

Didn't those things lift the rear end and dip the front on acceleration? Just the opposite of what would be expected because of the driveshaft?
    "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

Working...
    X