X

Widowmaker

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thenastiestnate View Post
    Me too. So raw. The sliding. The wheelies.
    The highsides...
    "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

Originally posted by 1FSTKAT View Post
      The highsides...
      I guess those were good too.. as long as you're on the tv screen side of it

Comment

I've been around and on some older two stroke bikes, nasty ones. Bored out RD's, Racebike CR125's. They're nothing to mess around with. The CR almost killed me twice before I decided to sell it. As much as I love the raw force of two strokes, I am glad that we almost all ride four strokes now for their ease of use.
        "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

Originally posted by 1FSTKAT View Post
          I've been around and on some older two stroke bikes, nasty ones. Bored out RD's, Racebike CR125's. They're nothing to mess around with. The CR almost killed me twice before I decided to sell it. As much as I love the raw force of two strokes, I am glad that we almost all ride four strokes now for their ease of use.
          It's that damn blink of an eye powerband that gets you into so much trouble. One minute you're humming along, the next you're on your back with your bike on top of you wondering how it managed to power wheelie on top of you within 500rpms

Comment

It's that damn blink of an eye powerband that gets you into so much trouble. One minute you're humming along, the next you're on your back with your bike on top of you wondering how it managed to power wheelie on top of you within 500rpms
            Exactly what got me in trouble on my CR. We dyno'd a GT250 racebike we had a while back and it only made power between 6500 and 8000 RPM. Anything before that was barely off idle power.

Comment

I've always heard the Kawi 750 turbo was the widowmaker. due to its quirky turbo spooling up just when you didn't want it to.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

That and it's less than poor braking system. If you wanted to spool it up, you had to have distance to stop it.

Comment

My rm125 is faster to 70mph than my 636...jussayin

would LOVE to tard it out
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

If we are talking about 4 strokes, I grew up in the mid 80's and remember the fantastic and beautiful slabside GSX750R. As far as I can remember that too was referred to as the widowmaker.

Again one of the bikes the great Kevin Schwantz rode!

I remember a friend of mine had one, first painted old Pepsi colours, then 7UP, then Smirnoff.
                    Would love one for the nostalga aspect.
                    Last edited by bfckarlos; 08-14-2011, 07:17 AM.
                    I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by bfckarlos View Post
                      If we are talking about 4 strokes, I grew up in the mid 80's and remember the fantastic and beautiful slabside GSX750R. As far as I can remember that too was referred to as the widowmaker.

I remember a friend of mine had one, first painted old Pepsi colours, then 7UP, then Smirnoff.
                      One year of the slingshot 1100's also got the 'widow-maker' moniker due to lousy suspension dynamics. I think it was the K or J model. If I remember a few racers died on that particular slingshot model and that's why it got that rep.

Comment

I had looked at an RGV250 once. 2500.00 but the guy wouldnt start it until i paid him.. so i passed.. i really wish i had that bike.. i do miss my old rd400 tho..
                        http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                        http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                        '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                        "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                        "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
                          I had looked at an RGV250 once. 2500.00 but the guy wouldnt start it until i paid him.. so i passed.. i really wish i had that bike.. i do miss my old rd400 tho..
                          That's incredibly unreasonable, especially since you just wanted to hear it run.

What kind of idiot won't start a bike for a potential buyer? Sounds like he was a scammer. I'd have walked away too. Also, if I don't know the seller, I refuse to buy vehicles that have been "warmed up" before I get there. I don't care how well it runs. I always tell sellers I want the engine cold when I get there to look at it. And, if I touch the block and it's warm, I walk.

I've also had guys refuse to let me take bikes on a low speed test ride up and down the road in front of their house, when I've brought full asking price cash in hand, and offered to let them hold it. As soon as they said no I walked then, too.

I've always been fully open and reasonable with buyers, and I expect the same.

Comment

Originally posted by bfckarlos View Post

I had one of them (an 86). Really cool bike, but it would get the speed wobbles if you got it going really fast. A few press riders binned the first year of it, because it had stability problems. By the time it came to the US, they had changed some things trying to fix it, and supposedly it was better.
                            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

That's incredibly unreasonable, especially since you just wanted to hear it run.

What kind of idiot won't start a bike for a potential buyer? Sounds like he was a scammer. I'd have walked away too. Also, if I don't know the seller, I refuse to buy vehicles that have been "warmed up" before I get there. I don't care how well it runs. I always tell sellers I want the engine cold when I get there to look at it. And, if I touch the block and it's warm, I walk.

I've also had guys refuse to let me take bikes on a low speed test ride up and down the road in front of their house, when I've brought full asking price cash in hand, and offered to let them hold it. As soon as they said no I walked then, too.

I've always been fully open and reasonable with buyers, and I expect the same.
                              The opposite side of the fence is just as ridiculous. I've sold bikes where a guy agreed to a price, then tried to cut it when they arrived to buy it. They ask me if I take payments (and I say 'yeah, one payment right here and now'). -I am not a financing company: Have your financing ready prior to arrival. They want to pay with a check. They don't understand the term 'firm' or 'non-negotiable.' They want to test-pilot it with no cash in-hand. They are rude (You arrive with a surly attitude and act a fool, you're out the door).
                              =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
                                The opposite side of the fence is just as ridiculous. I've sold bikes where a guy agreed to a price, then tried to cut it when they arrived to buy it. They ask me if I take payments (and I say 'yeah, one payment right here and now'). -I am not a financing company: Have your financing ready prior to arrival. They want to pay with a check. They don't understand the term 'firm' or 'non-negotiable.' They want to test-pilot it with no cash in-hand. They are rude (You arrive with a surly attitude and act a fool, you're out the door).

I had cash in hand too, the full amount.. he had a tz250 as well.. same deal.. pay him and you could start it up.. he was an arse.. I found out later that someone did by the tz and the engine was junk.. and he got busted for selling stolen bike parts...
                                http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                                http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                                '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                                "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                                "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Working...
                                X