X

ZX14: Secondary Flies Removed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZX14: Secondary Flies Removed?

I got an 07 zx14 and was thinking about removing the flies to increase the low rpm torque. From what I've read, they unlock quite a bit more "instant torque" and make the bike quicker. Do you think the removal of these would make the rear tire spin a lot easier? In the Rain? and do you think it would make the bike more difficult to control turning?
    Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
    Current Bikes:
    1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

My question is "does the 14 need more torque?"
    Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

I guess that all depends on what your tire budget looks like.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Turbo it
        2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
        2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

You might want to look at having it mapped in a simular way to the Concours. I hope "the table" checks in on this thread...he has done some research in this area I believe. Then again, I might just be talkin out my azz!

Comment

I've read that several people that have done this, have reinstalled them again after cliaming a big loss of ridability. From what I've read the throttle response becomes way too sensitive.
            John,
            '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 5forty2 View Post
              My question is "does the 14 need more torque?"

NEED and WANT are different It doesnt NEED more torque. lol idk ive heard mixed expressions. I was reading on a forum that a guy removed em and took it out for a ride in the rain, came around a corner and barely touched the throttle and spun out like it was nothing. so im a little iffy
              Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
              Current Bikes:

Comment

I looked at a dyno chart of a '14 with the butterflies removed and a good map, and the torque curve looks about as flat as a table. I think with it mapped correctly, you'd end up having to relearn how much azz it's got on the bottom end, but it shouldn't be dangerous or unpredictable.

I also looked at a chart of a stock one, and it really looks like Kawi neutered the thing on the bottom end...... probably to protect people from themselves.

An aside: Do you think that the ZX forums might be a better place to get qualified opinions on this?
                Last edited by loudnlow7484; 07-28-2011, 12:57 PM.
                Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Nero took his out and put them back in. With them out, it really does hurt drivability, particularly with the mostly closed throttle position. It makes smoothly accelerating a definite challenge. If I was going to ride the bike, I'd leave 'em in, but if I was going to take the bike to the strip, I'd pull 'em. So yes, they will hurt in the rain because it will be much more difficult to roll smoothly into the throttle, and in the corners likewise.

I've looked a little bit, but I still have another 22+ months left under warranty, so I'm not futzing much with anything on my Connie. Besides, I don't need no shiny dyno queen.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet
                  Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Im sure it has plenty of power .. do you want to chance the O its not working out right ? IT MIGHT END LIKE THIS .

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                      I looked at a dyno chart of a '14 with the butterflies removed and a good map, and the torque curve looks about as flat as a table. I think with it mapped correctly, you'd end up having to relearn how much azz it's got on the bottom end, but it shouldn't be dangerous or unpredictable.

I also looked at a chart of a stock one, and it really looks like Kawi neutered the thing on the bottom end...... probably to protect people from themselves.

An aside: Do you think that the ZX forums might be a better place to get qualified opinions on this?
                      Yea if they would accept me as a member. Its bs. my thing has been "pending" for like 6 months now. its bogus.
                      Current Bikes:

Comment

Zxforums and kawiforums are both garbage, but yeah your part throttle cruise is what will be effected. If you get a custom map it gets a lot better.
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Do what you want, but just be prepared for the nuttiness that comes with a bike that wants to accelerate whenever you hit a pothole because your hand twitched half a millimeter. I put mine back in because, even though the extra quickness off the line was thrilling, it was not fun living with the bike every day. I found that when I ran against a 'busa, they'd pull away from me at the start and I'd reel them back in as the flies would open. They make the 'seat of the pants' feel cool, but removing them will require a re-map to match the new power curve. With the exhaust, PC and flies in, the bike is plenty powerful, murderously quick, and easy to live with day-to-day.
                          =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
                            Do what you want, but just be prepared for the nuttiness that comes with a bike that wants to accelerate whenever you hit a pothole because your hand twitched half a millimeter. I put mine back in because, even though the extra quickness off the line was thrilling, it was not fun living with the bike every day. I found that when I ran against a 'busa, they'd pull away from me at the start and I'd reel them back in as the flies would open. They make the 'seat of the pants' feel cool, but removing them will require a re-map to match the new power curve. With the exhaust, PC and flies in, the bike is plenty powerful, murderously quick, and easy to live with day-to-day.
                            Thanks for the info Nero. .. ill end up keepin em in.
                            Current Bikes:

Comment

I don't have a ZX14, but I do have a '11 C14. These bikes have feces for torque down low because of the flies. Those who have removed them and got remaps found the bike very drivable.
                              However, if were to do that (and go with a PC) I'd lose the eco mode on my pcm and the traction control won't work as well.
                              There is tuner back east who tunes so that you keep the flies, but they just open sooner. This sounds like the best way to go as it give you good power down low, but with no drawbacks.I'll go this route once I get the $ for a Area P 4-1 full exhaust.
                              Oh, and I read a recent article on the ZX10 that said it has less power than euro version. Why? The flies on the U.S. version open later- to help the bike meet epa noise regs. Just food for thought...

Comment

Working...
                              X