X

2008 Ninja ZX-6R

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Ninja ZX-6R

I got to ride this weekend around Vegas on my son's ZX-6R. It's definitely a fun bike. I think the thing that struck me the most about it was the transmission (of all things). Talk about smooth as silk!! Very impressive compared to the Kat 750 "clunk" transmission. That aside I was also a bit surprised of the riding position. I ran through a tank of gas on it and it really wasn't all that bad. Definitely shorter than the Kat, as your almost in the fetal position, but as I said, it didn't seem all that bad. The seat was like sitting on a board as compared to the Kat. Flat and...hard, but really it being a sport bike the seat is setup for that type of riding. I was also a bit surprised how crappy it turned at slow speeds, I really thought it would make a U turn in a single lane at slow speeds....Not even close. It also ran fairly smooth for such a light bike. I was out in the desert with nothing but me and the bike out there and let it rip. Hard to tell but I don't think this bike would bury the Kat 750 in the 1/4 Specs show it would eek out a 1/4, but it didn't "feel" all that superior to me. This bike is REALLY light, and super easy to flick it back and forth on the twisties! The brakes were fantastic. He did a few mods on it HID lights (Wow. I need those on my Kat), 190 rear, power module, blacked out everything, and the 18lbs exhaust and cat conv were removed for a 1lbs strait pipe (loud as could be but I actually like the bike loud). He also did a few, mods that made me nuts, the biggy was he removed the mirrors...how can someone remove the mirrors unless your on the track....

Anyway I had a ball on it (aside from no mirrors), but I have to say I prefer my Kat, mostly due to the seat, wind protection and riding position. The other thing that was better on the Kat was the heat shielding the fairing provides. The tight quarters on the Ninja was a bit hot sitting in traffic from the engine. I never had a heat issue in Vegas with my pre in traffic, but never had the post in that type of temps. AS far as the Ninja goes the Transmission was fantastic, and the lack of weight was really fun for a few hours of riding.
    Last edited by Omnivore; 05-25-2011, 12:42 AM.
    My YouTube Videos
    My motorcyle map!

Originally posted by Omnivore View Post
    I got to ride this weekend around Vegas on my son's ZX-6R. It's definitely a fun bike. I think the thing that struck me the most about it was the transmission (of all things). Talk about smooth as silk!! Very impressive compared to the Kat 750 "clunk" transmission. That aside I was also a bit surprised of the riding position. I ran through a tank of gas on it and it really wasn't all that bad. Definitely shorter than the Kat, as your almost in the fetal position, but as I said, it didn't seem all that bad. The seat was like sitting on a board as compared to the Kat. Flat and...hard, but really it being a sport bike the seat is setup for that type of riding. I was also a bit surprised how crappy it turned at slow speeds, I really thought it would make a U turn in a single lane at slow speeds....Not even close. It also ran fairly smooth for such a light bike. I was out in the desert with nothing but me and the bike out there and let it rip. Hard to tell but I don't think this bike would bury the Kat 750 in the 1/4 Specs show it would eek out a 1/4, but it didn't "feel" all that superior to me. This bike is REALLY light, and super easy to flick it back and forth on the twisties! The brakes were fantastic. He did a few mods on it HID lights (Wow. I need those on my Kat), 190 rear, power module, blacked out everything, and the 18lbs exhaust and cat conv were removed for a 1lbs strait pipe (loud as could be but I actually like the bike loud). He also did a few, mods that made me nuts, the biggy was he removed the mirrors...how can someone remove the mirrors unless your on the track....

Anyway I had a ball on it (aside from no mirrors), but I have to say I prefer my Kat, mostly due to the seat, wind protection and riding position. The other thing that was better on the Kat was the heat shielding the fairing provides. The tight quarters on the Ninja was a bit hot sitting in traffic from the engine. I never had a heat issue in Vegas with my pre in traffic, but never had the post in that type of temps. AS far as the Ninja goes the Transmission was fantastic, and the lack of weight was really fun for a few hours of riding.
    I really like those bikes as well! I can vouch for the tranny because my zzr is 1000% smoother then my 06 kat 600 was. Definitely would miss the mirrors also....Thanks for the write up!
    Godspeed
    CSBA #1167
    Renew your mind with God's Word and His Spirit today! Let others see you walking and living by faith! Let yesterday go! God Bless!

Comment

I have both a '11 Concours 14 and a '91 Katana 1100 and switching between the bikes, it is very noticeable how smooth the tranny (and clutch) on the kawa are compared to the kat, brakes are noticeably light years better.
      The fit and finish of the bike are also top notch. I remember back in the '70's and 80's that kawa and suzuki were both lagging in those depts. compared to Yamaha and Honda.
      For fairness sake, I'd love a test ride on a newer suzuki, preferably a GSX1250F.

Comment

The 6r will outrun the katana 750 in a quarter mile with a decent rider. My 636 ate my friend's 02 750 for years, the 08 makes less power but it's still over 100.

The 07-08 are the slowest Ninja 6's in the 1/4 mile, if you want real grunt you have to buy one of the other models. It will, however, carve absolute circles around any Katana at over 30mph.
        Last edited by scottynoface; 05-25-2011, 08:07 PM.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
          I have both a '11 Concours 14 and a '91 Katana 1100 and switching between the bikes, it is very noticeable how smooth the tranny (and clutch) on the kawa are compared to the kat, brakes are noticeably light years better.
          The fit and finish of the bike are also top notch. I remember back in the '70's and 80's that kawa and suzuki were both lagging in those depts. compared to Yamaha and Honda.
          For fairness sake, I'd love a test ride on a newer suzuki, preferably a GSX1250F.
          I agree, I'd like to give the GSX1250F a spin as well, but with you having a new Concours, I can't imagine it being a step up. I'm completely clueless about the new Suzuki 1250 though.

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
          The 6r will outrun the katana 750 in a quarter mile with a decent rider. My 636 ate my friend's 02 750 for years, the 08 makes less power but it's still over 100.

The 07-08 are the slowest Ninja 6's in the 1/4 mile, if you want real grunt you have to buy one of the other models. It will, however, carve absolute circles around any Katana at over 30mph.
          Yeah I think your right. I think it red-lined at 16k, so after it got going past 8k it moved pretty good, thats why from a dead stop the numbers are so close in the 1/4
          Last edited by Omnivore; 05-25-2011, 10:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          My YouTube Videos
          My motorcyle map!

Comment

Thing is, seat-of-the pants feel doesn't always give you an accurate perception of a bike's quickness: Particularly if the gears have been changed on the Kat. That 6R, pound for pound with an equal rider should walk the Kat750 fairly quickly.
            =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

same with my kat 600 and kawi zx14. EVERYTHING on the ninja is not just better but LIGHTYEARS better.
              Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
              Current Bikes:
              1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
              2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Originally posted by STULER View Post
                same with my kat 600 and kawi zx14. EVERYTHING on the ninja is not just better but LIGHTYEARS better.
                I had a 2006 Kat 750 for a couple of years and even though the Kat was the same model year, the '14 was soooo much better. The '14's clutch and brakes were so smooth and it even carved corners better, even though they weighed about the same. I finally sold the Kat because I just wasn't riding it much.
                =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

FWIW, the touring version of the ZX14, the C14, is starting to become popular as a law enforcement bike. It out performs the BMW plus is cheaper to maintain. The California Highway Patrol has an order for them as do other state and local agencies, a testament to Kawasaki durability.
                  So...watch your mirrors!

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
                    I had a 2006 Kat 750 for a couple of years and even though the Kat was the same model year, the '14 was soooo much better. The '14's clutch and brakes were so smooth and it even carved corners better, even though they weighed about the same. I finally sold the Kat because I just wasn't riding it much.
                    \I actually decided to put mounts and full Givi bags on the kat. Im gonna turn that bike into a tourer for when me and the gf go out on longer trips. The zx14 is fun but theres no space for storage.
                    Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                    Current Bikes:
                    1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

FWIW, the touring version of the ZX14, the C14, is starting to become popular as a law enforcement bike. It out performs the BMW plus is cheaper to maintain. The California Highway Patrol has an order for them as do other state and local agencies, a testament to Kawasaki durability.
                      So...watch your mirrors!
                      Had no idea. I guess it kinda looks like it would be a good law enforcement bike too.
                      =USAF= Retired

Comment

So...watch your mirrors!

How to lose a Cop on a ZX14:

Step 1: Take him to the twisties

Step 2: Done!

*Note* You should probably have a better bike than a Kat to do this.

So for now I will not haha
                        "...Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams" W.B. Yeats

Comment

Wasn't it the OK highway patrols that used hayabusas for a while?

Comment

Zx14\C14 > busa
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                              Zx14\C14 > busa

I still think the Busa is the best looking but that is 100% preference.

Comment

Working...
                              X