X

2011 Concours 14 abs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Concours 14 abs

I have owned a '91 Katana 1100 since '99, it is still in fine shape, has Kerker 4-1, jet kit and other stuff. I originally wanted a Goldwing, wife let me get a C14, cost $13,999.
    I booked the flight to travel out of state to get one. Why? It was the only real way I could get a 49 state model. No evap crap, different ecu, that's what I wanted. Day before the trip, came down with sinus infection, was feeling real bad.
    Flew out, got bike, felt bad. My mission- on a new bike, drive 1000 miles in two days, get back home before it snows.
    Day one- got up at 4:00am to go to airport. Got bike around 12:00pm. It looked gorgeous! On the road, it was an easy fit from my Kat. I still have yet to stall it. I know it sounds cliche to say it didn't feel as heavy as it is (685 lbs?) but it is the truth. It handled better than my lighter katana 1100! Curves were a dream, it felt more stable,smoother. It made the kat feel like an old klunker. Still breaking in, observed the speed limits on highway 50 in CO. Hands started to get cold- no problem, I turned the hand warmers on.Computer says I am getting 38 mpg, not bad for a new bike.The computer also will tell you how much pressure is in your tires. If you have a leak, the bike will tell you-neat!
    I get to the motel late, around 10:00pm- I feel like crap.
    Next day, get up 5:30am. Bike is covered with ice, I scrape seat off clean, still have ice on windshield. That windshield is electric like the kat, but it goes much higher, offering real protection.
    As I drive, there is a lot of fog and the road is wet- ice maybe? Temperature display says 28, so I take it careful. Time for gas.
    Bike has an electronic key you keep in your pocket. Get on the bike and start, no fumbling for a key. However, for gas or saddlebag access, you need a key, which I keep in the glove box on the fairing. The box is self locking.When you are near, you can open it- it has a nifty electromagnetic lock.
    Back on the road. The display tells you what gear you are in and an indicator tells you if you are driving efficiently. I switch into eco mode. This is a lean fuel map that extends mpg by 10%.
    Entering NV, I am now enjoying cranking the engine up to 6000 rpms as recommended by the break in instructions. Now, I start to experience fear- high winds are rocking the bike. The bike is more stable than the kat, but still, despite 75 mph speed limit, I drop down to 60. The winds here are among the worse in the continent- you can have gust of 50mph or more and that can knock you down.
    I look at the outside temp- 35 degrees. Snowflakes are whizzing past me, some large ones splat the windshield- $hit! The dandruff is not sticking, so I trudge on.
    The snow turns into rain, lots of it. I keep looking at that temp gauge. I pull over and call wife. She looks up the weather on the net. I need to decided whether to try to make it home or hole up in a cheap motel on the road. Wife said they had snow, but it melted off, I80 into CA is closed, snow is not supposed to fall until 7:00pm. I think that I can make it by 5:30, so I continue on.
    I get on the freeway, road is wet. I guess I accelerated too hard because the traction control warning came on. That's right, traction control! Had this been my old katana, the rear wheel might have been doing one of those crazy side to side dances. But not the C14, didn't even feel it, the Ktrac took care of it.
    Braking is incredible. It has linked brakes, but I still use the front a lot, old habits. When i pulled off the freeway, I got to experience the abs kick in.
    ABS+ traction control, I'll never get a bike without them again!

Now I am driving into high winds and the fuel economy read out says mileage sucks, plus bike isn't happy. So, I draft behind a semi for a while.
    Comfort is excellent, all things considered. The seat has a dual layer foam design. Part is soft, part is firm. Hit a hard bump and you'll feel the firm part give. It is almost as if the seat is part of the suspension. My *** is now starting to hurt, but hey, I have been riding for 10 hours straight, the only breaks are for gas. The bike has no vibes at all, has electric motor like smoothness. I synched the kat two weeks ago with the morgan sticks and it has a zillion times more vibes. Speaking of vibes, the mirrors show exactly what is behind me, clearly. My Katana mirrors are wobbly things that show a blurry image of what is back there.
    Geez, it is pouring rain! The temp is 37 degrees, I am really not enjoying it!
    I made it home, put bike in garage, am grateful that I didn't wreck or get any tickets. Parked next to the kat, the C14 looks huge. Those saddlebags really hold a lot of stuff.
    Compared to the katana 1100, the C14 is superior in every area- faster, smoother, more comfortable, better mpg, better handling and braking, fit and finish,just everything.
    Oh well, I'll think of something to do with the big kitty. Even though it has a Corbin seat, I prefer the seat on the C14. I do prefer the height of the katana 1100. I am 5'11" and on the Katana, I can sit on it with feet flat on the ground. On the C14, it is more of toes touching the ground, the bike is tall!
    Also, it takes a maneuver worthy of a gymnast in the Olympics to get off the bike without scraping a boot on a saddlebag. I think I have gotten the maneuver down- lift right leg up in the air, like dog taking a pee, slowly swing up and over.
    Believe it or not, these C14's have a lot of mod potential.The motor is based on the ZX14, except it has VVT. Change the muffler, get larger throttle bodies, redo the tuning and you can have over 160hp at the rear wheel, easy. I can see a modded bike like this kissing 9 seconds in the quarter mile. Not bad for a bike that you can comfortably tour on, eh?
    Still feeling like crap, that's my review. There are still some leftover '09 C14 bikes out there going for $8K-$9K and they are screaming good deal of a bike!

Wow what an adventure; it sounds like an awesome machine!! Hope you are feeling better soon!
    sigpic

Current bike: 2007 Hayabusa

Comment

C

Sounds like quite a trip, congrats on your new ride.

Last year I rode down to the rally in Deals Gap from Sgt Jimbo's in Michigan then half way up the Blue Ridge Parkway with Joseph (TheTable) on his new Connie. Not only did we eat up the miles he was seriously tossing that beast around in the twisties.

The connie may be a big bike but I was impressed on how well Joe handled her in the corners. And that key set up is very cool.
      Kyle

Comment

Thats a great write up .I love my kat and remember the a$$ sliding out on a rainy day exceleration and ABS on the stops ....would have been nice the day I got caught out in the open .Its great to hear the advances in bikes .I remember when i picked up my 05 kat thinking wow when the kick is down it wont go into gear and it has a gas guage Coooll!!
        Thanks for the write up....Ill be on my Kat for a while ....
        I have got to work on my sensitivity ........ok thats over lets get to the next caring moment

Comment

Forgot to add that on day two, I woke up and the weather for my route in NV looked bad, with snow. So, I drove through Salt Lake City, adding an extra 230 miles to my drive.
          Utah is weird. They have these signs that say "Sleepy drivers pull over next exit".
          WTF? I was expecting to see a starbucks! I guess since 70% of the state is not allowed(by religion) to enjoy caffeine, this is normal. Lots of sleepy people driving around.
          But not me- I am hopped up on pseudofed and Redbull, I am as awake as will be!
          Over a period of two days, I had 12 hours of sleep, drove for 22 hours, consumed one cup of chili from Wendy's, two McDoubles (McDonalds of course!), two Redbulls, some pseudofed, amoxicillin and a bunch of ibuprofen.
          Honestly, I think I am getting better. If weather permits, I'll be going to Eureka, CA with my 18 year old daughter in my '06 GTO on thursday for few days. She'll help me drive and will also drive us from the brew pubs (raise you hand if you like good microbrew)

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
            Bike has an electronic key you keep in your pocket. Get on the bike and start, no fumbling for a key. However, for gas or saddlebag access, you need a key, which I keep in the glove box on the fairing. The box is self locking.When you are near, you can open it- it has a nifty electromagnetic lock.
            You aren't putting the fob in there are you? I use the stove knob for everything. The fob never comes out of my pocket.

I get on the freeway, road is wet. I guess I accelerated too hard because the traction control warning came on. That's right, traction control! Had this been my old katana, the rear wheel might have been doing one of those crazy side to side dances. But not the C14, didn't even feel it, the Ktrac took care of it.
            You want to really see what that KTRC, find some mud or some loose gravel. Freaking incredible.
            Also, it takes a maneuver worthy of a gymnast in the Olympics to get off the bike without scraping a boot on a saddlebag. I think I have gotten the maneuver down- lift right leg up in the air, like dog taking a pee, slowly swing up and over.
            Either get some protection imediately or plan on scratching the bags all to hell. I'm 6' and 27k miles later, I still kick the bags.

Change the muffler, get larger throttle bodies, redo the tuning and you can have over 160hp at the rear wheel, easy.
            You going to need a full exhaust, not just a slip-on. You can eliminate the secondary butterflies, but no need for different TB. Many who have gotten rid of them have put them back on because it makes it all kinds of herky jerky on the low end and coming off a closed throttle.

Oh and enjoy it. They are great fun.
            Last edited by thetable; 03-23-2011, 02:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            Pics
            Pics
            No pics yet
            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

man....i'm really considering one of these....again. I still like the light weight agle sportbike, but i was impressed by the way my wifes cruiser felt at 600+ lbs so i'm guessing these would rock at just a couple more lbs....
              Godspeed
              CSBA #1167
              Renew your mind with God's Word and His Spirit today! Let others see you walking and living by faith! Let yesterday go! God Bless!

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                Y

You going to need a full exhaust, not just a slip-on. You can eliminate the secondary butterflies, but no need for different TB. Many who have gotten rid of them have put them back on because it makes it all kinds of herky jerky on the low end and coming off a closed throttle.

Oh and enjoy it. They are great fun.
                What's the deal with the stock exhaust?Muffler is huge and I bet restrictive. The stock header pipes look like they merge 4-2-1. The only problem I see with them is that the header pipes are small, smaller than on my katana 1100.Do after market full exhausts have bigger pipes? And, is the cat convert restrictive? The ZX14 has larger throttle bodies, was thinking a way to get more power was get those, muffler, autotune. As for the secondary blades, I wonder if pitching them might affect how the ktrac works. Also, it is possible that the secondaries are a sort of mechanical torque management- take them out and you might see clutch slippage (how good are the clutches in these?) or drive train problems. I'll wait and see what others do and their experiences before playing with it.
                600Kat4EB- These bikes really feel light on their feet.My kat 1100 feels heavier even though it weighs 185lbs less. I took out the katana 1100 today for a gas run-the seating position is more of a crouch and like I said, it didn't feel as light around the corners. Another plus- bike comes with a 3 year unlimited miles warranty. I got the 3 year extended warranty for $399 more, so I have a total of 6 years warranty coverage. That will help limit my enthusiasm for engine mods!

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
                  What's the deal with the stock exhaust?Muffler is huge and I bet restrictive.
                  Not terribly restrictive, just huge and heavy, I went with the Area P, nice mellow and deep first thing in the morning. It gets quieter as it warms up.

The stock header pipes look like they merge 4-2-1. The only problem I see with them is that the header pipes are small, smaller than on my katana 1100.
                  Check out the dyno charts for proof: http://areapnolimits.com/products/Sl...rs-14-2008.php

I probably wouldn't go with the premade tune, I'd want a little dyno time and tuning.

As for the secondary blades, I wonder if pitching them might affect how the ktrac works. Also, it is possible that the secondaries are a sort of mechanical torque management- take them out and you might see clutch slippage (how good are the clutches in these?) or drive train problems. I'll wait and see what others do and their experiences before playing with it.
                  While it looks nice on a dyno with no secondaries, it apparently really hurts low end performance and smoothness. No idea how it interacts with the KTRC, but I wouldn't do it. I know Nero was saying he took his out on his ZX14, then put them back in. If you do decide to take them out, then for the love of all that is good, pick up a JIS screwdriver.

600Kat4EB- These bikes really feel light on their feet.My kat 1100 feels heavier even though it weighs 185lbs less.
                  The only time the Connie feels it's weight is at parking lot speeds on worn tires, and when you are pushing the bike hard through 318 turns in 11 miles.

Forgot, exhaust comparison:

It's a lot blurry, but you should still see my point.
                  Last edited by thetable; 03-23-2011, 10:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet
                  Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I rode an '08 Connie '14 a couple of years ago and if that had been out when I got my ZX-14 in early '07, I would have had a real struggle for my soul on my hands...
                    =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                      N
                      While it looks nice on a dyno with no secondaries, it apparently really hurts low end performance and smoothness. No idea how it interacts with the KTRC, but I wouldn't do it. I know Nero was saying he took his out on his ZX14, then put them back in. If you do decide to take them out, then for the love of all that is good, pick up a JIS screwdriver.
                      Someone is reflashing '08/09 ecu's, next will be 10/11 bikes. They can do it with flies in or adjusted for flies out. With flies in bike, the ecu has them kick in 2k rpms later. If I read right, they can program for full exhaust, air filter and ZX14 throttle bodies.
                      Check this out:

and

also

Comment

The '14 was built with the flies for a reason. It's like riding a greased pig with the flies out. One bump going around a corner on a rain-slick road will put you on the ground. Now, there are plenty of methods of retarding the beast to make it more civil. When I had the flies out, I had a Power Commander on the bike. With a good configuration, you can chill out the bottom end and still rip it when the throttle is open. Taking the flies out and putting in a Power Commander only speads your power range and gives you that seat of the pants feeling. It doesn't make the bike much faster, no matter how much they claim it does (Greg from HPC performance would have verified that if they could have survived the recession/depression). However, if you get a full exhaust, you're going to need the PC and that's when the true potential of the bike begins to show.

The Japanese weren't stupid when they built the bike. You have to remember that it was built at the time to compete with the Hayabusa and they weren't going to put any part in the bike that would slow it down. But they wanted the bike to seem civil when you weren't out horsing around, which is 95 percent of the time. -A feat they accomplished. Riding around town, you'd think you were on a 600 Kat. It is only when you do somthing to open up the secondaries that you realize its potential.

None of this really applies to the Connie. It's essentially the same engine, but with a very different setup. From 0-60, the Connie will stay nose-to-nose with the '14 and an 'Busa. It is only after that the 200 extra pounds starts to show its effects. It's a civil beast and will pull decent quarter mile times (I've heard they break into the 9s with a good rider). However, I liked the Connie because it does so much more. It's made for a really comfortable long haul. I had to add parts to the '14 to achieve anything close to that (and it isn't). My '14 now has extended pegs, bar risers and a taller shield for more wind protection. A '14 has almost exactly the same seating position as a '06 750 Kat. I know that because I owned both at the same time. If I can find a Connie. on the market for a decent price, I'll let the '14 go in favor of of the Connie. It's a road hauler.
                        Last edited by Nero; 03-28-2011, 09:05 AM.
                        =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
                          I rode an '08 Connie '14 a couple of years ago and if that had been out when I got my ZX-14 in early '07, I would have had a real struggle for my soul on my hands...
                          i have a zx14 too, although i like the connie cause its comfort level but i would never trade my zx for anything. i LOVE that bike. comfort, power, looks, the only thing i would change would be the cost of insurance for it.......... but i agree the connie is a very well built bike
                          Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                          Current Bikes:
                          1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Yeah, I hear you. I guess after owning the '14 for over 4 years and a 'busa for another 8 years prior to that, I'm just ready for something different. I'm closing in on 45 so maybe it's a midlife crisis. LOL. If I could find some decent hard bags for the 14 that didn't look like crap or cost $1000, I'd be up for keeping her awhile longer. Anyway, she's been a great bike.

My insurance is great but that's because I'm almost 45 with no tickets or accidents (that they know about).
                            =USAF= Retired

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed your write-up. It's good to hear someone else is having a good time too. In the snow? My hat is off to you. Keep on rockin'.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Working...
                              X