X

Yzf r6

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yzf r6

I think my next bike is going to be a 2000-2002 YZF R6. Since my YZ125/250 dirt bike im sold on the yamaha scene.

I hear the most common downfall is the rear suspension is "too stiff". It might be, it might be just two stiff for a street bike. Wouldnt a custom valved rear shock fix this or would it upset the balancing of the bike.

What do you guys think of the R6? Reliability

Rectifier/regulator will probably be your first problem...

Other than that, an older model bike will probably need a new shock anyways... Are you going to put this bike out on the track? They are very capable track bikes from what I've seen...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

imo the older r6's arent that great of bikes but cause im a suzuki/kawi guy. the r6 was never really appealing to me. just not comfortable
      Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
      Current Bikes:
      1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Uncomfortable, anemic powerband, you will need to tweak the suspension for your riding style and weight. They came VERY stiff from the factory.

However, they handle very nicely and are pretty lightweight. Much of the pieces from the newer gens will bolt on with light to medium modifications.

Nice bikes, definitely not one I'd own but they're still nice, just don't expect any power under 10k rpm and be prepared for regulator issues and other electrical gremlins that Yamaha is famous for.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

It's a Yamaha. Nuff said.
          "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

Nawwwwwwwwww......don't be dissin' the Yammis My current old one has been the most problem-free bike I've ever owned. I'd consider another "lightly used" newer model if it had the same ergonomics. I like it's riding position and it's an all-day sport-tourer. I miss having a 6th gear like the last Kat had...... but that may be a good thing since she'll pull to 60-70 in 1st. At my age, I might be better off without it.
            Attached Files
            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
            ------------------------------------------
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I've owned 3 i think and two of them have been nothing but white elephants. The only one that continuously worked was my RD350.

No disrespect but just not my cup of tea. I'm a Honda man when it comes down to it.
              "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

Originally posted by allblackkat View Post
                Rectifier/regulator will probably be your first problem...

Other than that, an older model bike will probably need a new shock anyways... Are you going to put this bike out on the track? They are very capable track bikes from what I've seen...
                Mostlikely not, im to much of a *****. I like racing cars because when I crash a car something else is absorbing the impact before I do.

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                Uncomfortable, anemic powerband, you will need to tweak the suspension for your riding style and weight. They came VERY stiff from the factory.

However, they handle very nicely and are pretty lightweight. Much of the pieces from the newer gens will bolt on with light to medium modifications.

Nice bikes, definitely not one I'd own but they're still nice, just don't expect any power under 10k rpm and be prepared for regulator issues and other electrical gremlins that Yamaha is famous for.
                That sounds perfect, im not a power guy. Driving a slow car fast is more fun than driving a fast car slow, thus the katana I bought. Electrical, my arch nemisis. I hate electical and avoid diagrams at all cost. Wont even attempt to do electrical unless its necessary.

Lightweight sounds like my business plan though.

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                Nawwwwwwwwww......don't be dissin' the Yammis My current old one has been the most problem-free bike I've ever owned. I'd consider another "lightly used" newer model if it had the same ergonomics. I like it's riding position and it's an all-day sport-tourer. I miss having a 6th gear like the last Kat had...... but that may be a good thing since she'll pull to 60-70 in 1st. At my age, I might be better off without it.
                Can afford it, I want one for 1500 or less. Just needs a clean title I can rebuild it if necessary. My YZ125 is unbelievably awesome, and reliable-ish. Its like a ferrari in a sense, it broke cause you didnt take care of it.

Originally posted by STULER View Post
                imo the older r6's arent that great of bikes but cause im a suzuki/kawi guy. the r6 was never really appealing to me. just not comfortable
                Im open to suggestion, all I want is something fun to mod. That has lots of sport oriented aftermarket support but hte catch is im only trying to spend 1.5-2K.

Gen 3 Honda 600s, forgot what there called like CB600 f3 i think?? I like whatever style comes after the $1,500 one, which I think is up around 3,500.

The yamaha strikes me cause it seems like a good bang for the buck with its few quirks. But man do I have respect for bikes, I dont even push the Kat anymore after a few controlled spills. I didn't do anything wrong persay. I just didn't know tires would slide out due to the paint they do the lines of the road with.
                Last edited by SpecM3; 01-06-2011, 01:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Couple of suggestions

Sv650s...
                  Lots of potential for not much $. 1500 should get you one in pretty decent shape.

2000-2002 kawi zx6r
                  A way more comfy bike compared to an r6 and a good performer. I had an 07 ZZR600 which is essentially the same bike and it was a pretty kick @$$ bike... I'm a sucker for an intake that makes good noises... You'll understand once you tuck behind the windscreen of a bike with a ram-air type setup... (Triumph Daytona 675 being my favorite so far...)

As far as taking it to the track... I would still suggest it after a year or two of riding... as long as your instructors are decent you shouldn't worry about crashing... It's definitely not the same as riding your dirtbike as fast as you can... Way more rewarding when you see progress from good technique...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Originally posted by allblackkat View Post
                    2000-2002 kawi zx6r
                    A way more comfy bike compared to an r6 and a good performer. I had an 07 ZZR600 which is essentially the same bike and it was a pretty kick @$$ bike... I'm a sucker for an intake that makes good noises... You'll understand once you tuck behind the windscreen of a bike with a ram-air type setup... (Triumph Daytona 675 being my favorite so far...)
                    This.

The J model Ninjas are far more performance oriented than they let on. You should see me trying to chase down Chuckwick on his.

Comfy enough to ride all day, but more than capable enough to hit the track against newer supersports.

Many can be had for around $2500.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

i like the 03+ ninjas i dont like the look of the pre 03's... just dont look as modern. looks aside they do ride nice tho
                      Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                      Current Bikes:
                      1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

I like the yami's. My FZ6 is awesome. Older than about 07 tho and the YZF's start to look like they're physically retarded. When I look at them from the front, I can almost hear them say "Der... I's a Yami..." Then around '01 or so they look normal again. It's really just the shape of the mono headlight in the fairing that makes it look that way.
                        "Courage is not reckless abandon, or bravery in the absence of fear. It is the knowledge of fear, the wisdom to know the costs of failure, the prudence to minimize those costs, and, in so doing, courage is the mastery of fear. Courage without fear is lunacy."

Comment

I like the look of the Hondas.... especially the 9xx line. There is something about them .... looks clean and well put together.

Comment

If you don't mind having carbs, an older FZR or YZF750 might be a good choice. The 5 valve Genesis engines were pretty strong runners and had a good reliability record.
                            John,
                            '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm buying an 06 R6 Anniversary Edition in about a month... I've liked Yami's for a while... With any of the big 4 if you do the maintenance and it wasn't abused before you got it they'll be good bikes. I have a buddy who wants a r6 and was looking at FI but I think he's gonna try and find a genesis series... You don't have full appreciation for FI less you ride a carb'd bike.

If you buy smart you'll be good... Kawi guys will tell you to get a Kawi, Honda guy says go big red and so on... If nothing else say you want to take it to a mechanic and you'll cover the $60 to look it over. I've done that with cars and they can often see things you may miss. I don't buy cars or bikes without taking a buddy as a second set of eyes...
                              95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
                              Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
                              ---
                              I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

Working...
                              X