X

2002 Ducati 748 Superbike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 Ducati 748 Superbike

So I’ve gotten a chance to get out and put some twisty back roads and highway driving on the Ducati and figured I’d post up a review of the experience so far.

Bike Details:

Engine and transmission:
    Displacement: 748.00 ccm (45.64 cubic inches)
    Engine type: V2, four-stroke
    Power: 97.00 HP (70.8 kW)) @ 11000 RPM
    Torque: 73.00 Nm (7.4 kgf-m or 53.8 ft.lbs) @ 9000 RPM
    Compression: 11.5:1
    Bore x stroke: 88.0 x 65.5 mm (3.5 x 2.6 inches)
    Valves per cylinder: 4
    Fuel system: Injection
    Cooling system: Liquid
    Gearbox: 6-speed
    Transmission type, final drive: Chain

Chassis, suspension, brakes and wheels:
    Front suspension travel: 127 mm (5.0 inches)
    Rear suspension travel: 130 mm (5.1 inches)
    Front tyre dimensions: 120/60-ZR17
    Rear tyre dimensions: 180/55-ZR17
    Front brakes: Dual disc
    Front brakes diameter: 320 mm (12.6 inches)
    Rear brakes: Single disc
    Rear brakes diameter: 220 mm (8.7 inches)

Physical measures and capacities:
    Dry weight: 196.0 kg (432.1 pounds)
    Power/weight ratio: 0.4949 HP/kg
    Seat height: 790 mm (31.1 inches) If adjustable, lowest setting.
    Overall height: 1,080 mm (42.5 inches)
    Overall length: 2,030 mm (79.9 inches)
    Wheelbase: 1,410 mm (55.5 inches)
    Fuel capacity: 17.00 litres (4.49 gallons)
    Reserve fuel capacity: 4.00 litres (1.06 gallons)

Initial impressions:

Looks: I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I have always been in love with the way that Ducatis look. With the clean lines, single swingarm, and dual exhaust under the seat it’s a real eye turner. The fit and finish on these bikes is top notch. It is also way easier to get the plastics off (Yes probably because they require way more maintenance).

Sound: With the V2 and the dual exhaust the Ducati sounds awesome. When it is just sitting there it sounds mean… I absolutely love it. Then you throw the sound of the dry clutch on top of that and you just fall in love.

Comfort: When you first look at the Ducati, the first thought that you have is “This is going to hurt” and when you read the reviews that is all you hear about. So far I would have to disagree. The seat is made out of some kind of gel/memory foam and is way more comfortable than it looks. The thing that is getting me the most is getting used to how skinny the bike is. The change in width is making me use my leg muscles differently, but hasn’t gotten uncomfortable yet. This bike was not made for city driving though, at 30 mph or less you start to realize that your butt is getting very hot from the exhaust. Once you get above 45 mph the air is able to pull all of the heat away and you no longer feel it.

Performance: This is one area that I won’t claim to be experienced in, other than this bike I have only ridden a 99 Katana 600. The Ducati is way more aggressive than the Katana. It delivers some serious torque even at low RPM so it is great for pulling out of turns. I know that most new 600 super bikes would probably smoke it on a straight away, but put them in the turns and that is where the Ducati shines. This bike wants to lean and it feels so secure doing it. The rear tire is considerably wider than the Kat so you have so much more rubber to use. My first time out hitting the turns that I used to ride daily on my Kat put a huge childish grin on my face. The dry clutch has such a unique feel, when you shift gears it feels very solid and gives you tons of feedback. I constantly find myself staring at the clock waiting to get out and play.

Other: One thing I do miss is a gas gauge. The Ducatis only have a low fuel light that comes on when you have about one gallon of gas left. I miss visually knowing how much I have left. I did have my first issue with this bike when I picked it up, but it was due to mechanic error. When the shop flushed/changed all of the fluids they must have loosened one of the coolant hoses and this slipped off on my first ride out. The shop resolved the issue and made good so in the end it wasn’t such a big deal. Also, the Ducati will not start with the kick stand down. In order to warm up the bike you must be sitting on it. This isn’t such a bad thing, but I used to love doing my pre-ride inspection while the Kat was warming up.
    Currently in the driveway:

02 Ducati 748 Monoposto: Yellow & White
    99 Suzuki Katana 600: Red (Sold to brother but holding at the house)

Your in the same boat as I was coming from a V-Star 1100 to the VFR800. There was a road near my house 6 miles long, and maybe 20-30 curves. Probably the best road in my county.

On the V-Star I would have to concentrate and drag hard parts to run this road at 60mph. The VFR makes short work of it easily maintaining 80-90mph while I take a nap In a car you can't ride much faster then the posted speed limit for 45mph. But never fear it's a back country road with 0 traffic. It's the only time my VFR ever gets to lean! I'm in Florida remember people.

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

I too have always loved the look of the Duke.
      The Italians just know how to make high performance things look good!
      Thanks for the write up.
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
      Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
      R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
      1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
      RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
      3BBB turn signal mirrors,
      Black painted seat and rear trim,
      Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Hey you dont have to answer if you dont want but I'm curious. How much did you pay for the Duc?

Comment

Just under 5k. It only had 3300 miles on it. Came with full flush of everything, oil change, new headlight bulb, new fairing screws, and new rear tire.

Comment

dang sounds like a decent deal. I expected it to me more for some reason.

Comment

Welcome to the supersport world

That thing is gorgeous, I've always loved the headlights.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Great write-up...... definitely a nice-looking ride!!!
                sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                ------------------------------------------
                89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Looks like A LOT of fun

Comment

Nice Bike!
                    99 Ford F150 4x4
                    04 Mustang GT
                    2010 Camaro SS
                    06 GSX600F
                    sigpic

Comment

looks good

Comment

I just noticed this weekend: In the movie the Italian Job, the bike that Seth Green rides up on and then drops, if your exact bike!
                        Originally posted by arsenic
                        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

LOL I'll have to look for that!!!

Comment

Yes he does funny midget
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                            X