X

2006 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor

Well, as most of you know I purchased a 2006 VFR 800 Interceptor. Now that I have logged ~200 miles on it, I felt I should offer some sort of review.

My first impression of the VFR was that it just drips sexy from it's Galaxy White paint and oozes it from it's massive 180 single sided rear wheel. (remember this is the first bike i've had with a 180 rear, Kat was 150, and V-Star was 160).

When you turn the key the dash lights up reminding me of a fighter jet cockpit. The bright red displays are awesome. Displaying engine temp, outside temp, speed (in MPH and KPH) a GIANT tach right in the middle where it should be IMHO. On the other side gas gauge 2 trips, and the odometer finishing with a clock. Hit the starter button and the Honda V4 comes alive idling ~1,000-1,100RPMs very quite with a slight growl.

Upon mounting the machine I instantly fell in love. This bike is made for the big boys (I am 240lbs and 6'4"). The handle bars have about a 2 inch rise on them compared to other sport bikes, and the pegs are miles lower then any other sport bike i've ever been on, my knees meld into the gas tank exactly how it is meant to be.

Click down 1 into first and your off. Instantly the first thing I notice is still how quite this thing is with a stock exhaust (my V-Star had strait Cobra pipes this is silent from what i'm used too) shifting through the gears the tranny is smooth as butter. At highway speeds (70-80mph) it's as smooth, the hum of the V4 can only slightly be heard at 80MPH 5,000 rpm in top gear.

Now for the fun part VTEC! For those of you that don't know the Interceptor has a V4 VTEC with 4 valves per cylinder. Any RPM under 6,800 the motor is only running at 2 valves per cylinder, at 6,800 they all come to life and the V4 begins to roar, with acceleration that can only be described as being fired from a gun. This bike does not build the power like a Katana through the RPMs it just dumps the power from 7,000-11,000 RPMs then red lines at 12,500rpms.

From a dead stop I nailed it giving it everything she had and popped a 12" wheelie I was not expecting BTW. I quickly shifted to 2nd and the front end dropped and the speedo climbed to 60....70.....80.....3rd......90......100.....110.. ...4th.....then I backed off....

My final thought about the Interceptor is: If you a tall person and interesting in putting on hundreds of miles with a bike that can handle twisties with the big boys......This is the bike for you!!

so I leave you with the pic below:

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

That SSSA is what caught my eye when I first saw my VFR. Adjusting the chain is now a brief and pleasant experience

Comment

Originally posted by paul.miner View Post

That SSSA is what caught my eye when I first saw my VFR.
      What is SSSA?

Comment

I'm guessing single sided swing arm.

Comment

Single Sided Swing Arm

the VFR is one of my all time favorite bikes. People don't give it enough credit, simply because it isn't 1000ccs and doesn't have 150 hp (well, the new ones do I guess). It wasn't meant to be the fastest sportbike on the planet; it was meant to be the best, and anyone who has ridden one I think would have a hard time argueing against it.

If you don't like it quiet, that V4 sounds GREAT with an aftermarket system. My favorite has always been a laser extreme system. I think they're based out of the UK. very pricy, but nothing looks cooler than 4 pipes coming out of the back. Kindof like an MV Agusta F4. Very sexy.

Comment

Ohh duh....

Yeah I have saw the Laser systems.....Not a fan.....I like the the way the stock exhaust looks, just needs to grunt more LOL,

Maybe I will gut it and see what happens.

Comment

Staintune pipes are AWESOME as well.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I had Vance&Hines Streetcomps on my '84 VF700F. Very cool sounding!

Side note: How's the seat height on the new VFRs? I'm not a big guy but I've got a long upper body and stubby legs. Makes a really tall bike impractical. I sure do love that Honda V-4 though, and I've been dreaming about getting a VFR (keep thinking 5th gen since I've got this thing about buying a new bike) since I sold my VF.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

My inseam is a comical 30" and I can flat foot the bike.

And yes, if anyone decides to murder me via ax, they are going to have problems cramming my torso into the fireplace
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                    My inseam is a comical 30" and I can flat foot the bike.

And yes, if anyone decides to murder me via ax, they are going to have problems cramming my torso into the fireplace
                    Good to know. (The bit about low seat height, that is. Although the rest...<Insert maniacal laughter>)

The dream lives on!
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

The seat on the VFR is "thin" and "flat" as the best way I can describe it. Like sitting on a comfortable bench.

I think for a long haul, I might want a little more support... but for day to day riding it's just fine, and easy to slide around on.
                      -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                        The seat on the VFR is "thin" and "flat" as the best way I can describe it. Like sitting on a comfortable bench.

I think for a long haul, I might want a little more support... but for day to day riding it's just fine, and easy to slide around on.

That's what I am finding with mine. Looks like a Sargent seat will be ordered soon. My wife claims that from a passenger stand point the VFR is more comfortable for her then the Katana was.

The Scorpion exhaust sounds good on them as well.

2006 Katana 750 (taken by the guy that said he didn't see me)
                        2006 VFR800 to replace the broken Kat.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis View Post

The Scorpion exhaust sounds good on them as well.

What did you do with your stock exhaust? Still have it? I want to buy another stock exhaust and gut it to see if I like the sound....I would rather do it to a cheap used stock exhaust then to what I currently have installed.

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
                            What did you do with your stock exhaust? Still have it? I want to buy another stock exhaust and gut it to see if I like the sound....I would rather do it to a cheap used stock exhaust then to what I currently have installed.

No I don't The Scorpion was added by the previous owner. Sorry.
                            2006 Katana 750 (taken by the guy that said he didn't see me)
                            2006 VFR800 to replace the broken Kat.

Comment

yeah exhausts for the VFR are down right out firggin ragious! lol

So I was going to try the gutting route first before looking into a brand new exhaust. But I don't want to perform the surgery on my exhaust if case I don't like it I can swap it back lol

Comment

Working...
                              X