No announcement yet.
X

Katana 600 or gsxr 1000?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

600 Katana would be a good stepping stone bike for someone used to an EX500. With you being a somewhat new rider I wouldn't/could never feel right recommending a GSXR1000.
    John,
    '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
    sigpic

Comment

Let me start out by saying I love GSXR's. They have always been one of my favorite sport bikes. That being said, GSXR's (at least high powered ones, and in some cases 600s as well) in my opinion, are just plain scary. That could be just because I'm a fairly new rider (been riding for about 8 years TBH, but only about 6 months on the road with a license...the rest has been tiny engine dirt bikes). My Kat was really good to learn on for me. Other than the usual trying to get used to the bike, I acclimated very well. When I tried one of my friend's GSXR750's, I was blown away by the power, but I knew for a fact I would kill myself one day if that bike was mine. Just me talking here, but I love my Kat600 and I doubt I'll be bored with it for a whiiiiile lol. But occasionally everyone wants something different, and when that time comes I think the most I would opt for is a GSXR750. 1Ks, just have too much power in my eyes.

Sorry, I was rambling there. Forgive me. The main reason of this post is to say I think you should go for the Katana. GSXR might be a little too much for you to handle at this time.
      - Remember -
      Ride wherever the road takes you and
      never stop until every inch of pavement
      has tasted your rubber.

Comment

Go with the katana man. Post some pics when you pick it up
        sigpic
        Navy Vet
        1998 B12
        00 GSX 600F(sold)

Comment

Originally posted by tmk7c9 View Post
          Have you actually seen the GSXR in person?

$3200 for a 2001 GSXR1000 seems well below the going value of most of them around here. I would look at it very carefully. Any GSXR priced like that has probably been beat to death, doesn't have a title, or has something majorly wrong with it. Definately check for mass amounts of rubber under the rear fender!

If everything checks out, i'd get the GSXR just on the bargain factor. That seems like a steal if the bike is in good condition and not abused. Honestly, the price sounds fishy to me though.

the price is too low for that bike with only 10k miles on it. you can't even find and gsxr 750s in that price range that arent older and have a ton of miles on them
          previous rides
          06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
          next ride - another kat

Comment

Originally posted by edromero View Post
            the price is too low for that bike with only 10k miles on it. you can't even find and gsxr 750s in that price range that arent older and have a ton of miles on them
            +1

I've been wanting a 2000-2002 Gix1k since I first got into riding, and the ones in good condition are going for around $5200 or so around here. It's probably beat...or the guy's an idiot

"Oh hey man I forgot to tell you the forks and engine are gone."
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
              +1

I've been wanting a 2000-2002 Gix1k since I first got into riding, and the ones in good condition are going for around $5200 or so around here. It's probably beat...or the guy's an idiot

"Oh hey man I forgot to tell you the forks and engine are gone."

or maybe the price is correct, but its not really a 1000 anyway. afterall, your post inducated that you havent actually seen it yet.
              previous rides
              06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
              next ride - another kat

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                You are looking in the wrong places then. NADA puts the average RETAIL on a '01 1k is $4k, pay more than that, and you either got ripped off, or the bike is immaculate. They don't make up the numbers arbitrarily, it is based on what bikes are selling for, along with trends in the values of makes and models as they age.

But seriously why is a thread that has been dead for a month being dredged back up without much to add?
                Pics
                Pics
                No pics yet
                Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I had a Kat and now have a gix 1K ... first one forgives .. second one kick you on the azz ...

1 bad move on the throttle and down you go ! that bike can wheelie from shifting from 4th to 5th easy (been there done that .. NEVER AGAIN )

Kat was my first bike and I did some booboo with throttle/cluch transition and the Kat always behave nicely regardless .. still plenty of power if you downshift.

Some people here can ride Kats faster and better then most on gixxers ... it's all in the rider not the ride.
                  Guylaine
                  Try and keep up now

Comment

If you forget what bike you're riding on the gixx1k and twist the throttle a little hard, you'll be wearing it like a hat. The fact that you're asking that question means you're more likely to live, but from the looks of your posts I think we'd like to keep you around. Buy the kat

I have indeed accidentally put too much throttle on mine when I was new because it'll still give you a ton of power in the upper rpm range (compared to the ex500) and I immediatly thought to myself how glad I was that I got a more forgiving bike. Nearly 2 years later I'm still riding the kat and happy as can be. I think I'll go with a gixx600/750 for my next bike, but I'm not looking forward to the insurance, so I'll ride the kat into her grave first.
                    Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Not as many as there used to be, but still, they stay at around 5k around here for the ones that have been taken care of.
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                        But seriously why is a thread that has been dead for a month being dredged back up without much to add?

Since I'm the one who dredged it up I apologize lol. I was browsing through the forum, found it, thought I had somewhat of an experience that fit, and replied without actually at how old the post was. Looking back, I guess he probably made a decision before I posted.

I'll keep this in mind the next time I find a thread haha. Maybe it'll be a little newer and a little more relevant.
                        - Remember -
                        Ride wherever the road takes you and
                        never stop until every inch of pavement
                        has tasted your rubber.

Comment

well what did the kid get?? guessing since he hasnt returned the gixx??

Comment

Originally posted by LeroyClark View Post
                            Is the gsxr 1000's power managable or is it gonna pop up on me if I hit the throttle a lil hard?

I used to race an '01 1000 and it is really manageable, very fun and easy to ride.

Comment

if you want a faster, wheelie pullin bike, go for the gixxer, but if you wanna long distance ride, go katana

Comment

The original poster hasn't been online to the website since ...

Last Activity: 10-16-2009 05:33 AM

I think we can let this one go.... really....

Krey
                                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                                X