No announcement yet.
X

Ah crap -- Gixxer made my G/F cry!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good deal Mark. Let us know how you kids like it....
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

While you are waiting on the grab bar, why not pick up some of the rubberized drawer liner stuff for tool boxes or kitchen drawers. Tuck that under the seat, and at least she wouldn't be sliding around back there. When I was instructing for trackdays, I would start out the weekend with a big roll of the stuff for the drivers with leather seats. I don't think I ever finished a weekend with any left.

The Corbin with some asphalt vinyl seating surface would keep her from sliding anywhere too. I know just the little bit on the sides of my Corbin is enough to keep my pillions from smashing me up against the airbox cover.
      Pics
      Pics
      No pics yet
      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

One word to help with the sliding

VELCRO!!!!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

This will help.

http://www.buttybuddy.com/seat_application_rocket.asp

Comment

Update:

With Kristy complaining of sliding on the seat as her number one issue, I looked at the seat cover sonosam and a couple of others suggested and decided to make one up myself. Looks like nothing more than some drawer liner sewn into a custom-fit cover. Right?

So I got some liner material, cut out a pattern and went to work with a needle and thread. Here's what I was able to come up with.

Not too bad for a prototype! Kristy and I hit the Blue Ridge Parkway for some "product testing" and had very good results. With her planted firmly on the seat, she thinks she can work with all the other problems she was experiencing. Nothing will shake your confidence like feeling like you're gonna be off the back at any moment, I am sure.

We haven't tried the grab bar yet. Truth be told, it's ugly and I would like her to be able to ride without it (yes, she reads this site). But...we have it and can sill fall back to that position. If we don't need it, we can send it back and keep this mod's cost down to $9. :

Thanks to all for the support and words of encouragement!

Comment

I might pick up some of that tomorrow before the wife and I head out on our ride and see if it helps her keep from sliding too. Friend that has a ZX14 and his wife highly recommended those covers, after getting 4k miles out of their last one.
              John,
              '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
              sigpic

Comment

Wow man I have the same problem to a lesser extent with my wife and the Monster. No rear grab handle, relatively tiny rear seat and seating position, more low end torque makes it hard for me to stay smooth on the throttle... she doesn't hate it but she likes riding on the Kat better. Not that that's saying much, cuz she's not a big fan of riding 2-up anyway.

Hopefully you guys can get it worked out! Does she ride by herself at all?
                Originally posted by katanawarrior
                I keep coming here because of the smileys, really.

Comment

Originally posted by Shifty View Post

Hopefully you guys can get it worked out! Does she ride by herself at all?
                  Yes. She crashed her bike on her 2nd ride, however. It's been a while getting it fixed. We are just very accustomed to riding two-up.

The seat cover really helped her confidence on the back of the Gixxer and we're still working out the kinks on where to hold on. I think Time In The Seat will help most of all. I have also been concentrating very hard on being smooth with the throttle even while riding solo. I have been able to smooth it out fairly well.

It's a work in progress.
                  Last edited by SKNL2; 09-14-2009, 02:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by SKNL2 View Post
                    Yes. She crashed her bike on her 2nd ride, however. It's been a while getting it fixed. We are just very accustomed to riding two-up.

The seat cover really helped her confidence on the back of the Gixxer and we're still working out the kinks on where to hold on. I think Time In The Seat will help most of all. I have also been concentrating very hard on being smooth with the throttle even while riding solo. I have been able to smooth it out fairly well.

It's a work in progress.
                    I have no where near your experience (solo or 2-up) but I can agree with you that the smoother I can make it through the turns the less crap concern I hear about from my wife.
                    -2000 "750"

Comment

Man I have so much to say about this subject bc I can finally chime in rather have him relay all my thoughts! But I dont know where to begin.

All I can say is yes I love the Katana more but I really want to get better on the GSXR the problem now is the rain and I THINK he enjoys the time by himself so this gives he a reason for me not to ride with him....But I could be wrong. But I doubt it. If I were him I'd love it..."yes! Kristy cant ride the GSXR so I get to ride all by myself bc she cant get it down and I dont really have the patience for her to get it" Again I could be wrong but I myself love the idea of being able to ride by myself and go where I want to go and do what I want to do. I dont blame him for that. He just needs to remember that's what I'll do when I get my bike back!

Sorry to revive an old thread...

Comment

get rid of the rear seat and buy here a gix too. Problem solved
                        sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
                        MSF Rider Coach 27028
                        MoPowerSports.com
                        Torco
                        SoCalTrackDays

Comment

Originally posted by krayman View Post
                          Sorry to revive an old thread...
                          Being the target of the thread, I think you are allowed.

I THINK he enjoys the time by himself so this gives he a reason for me not to ride with him.
                          While you probably know him better than I do, my impression of Mark, was that if that is what he wanted, he would tell you.
                          Pics
                          Pics
                          No pics yet
                          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by krayman View Post
                            If I were him I'd love it..."yes! Kristy cant ride the GSXR so I get to ride all by myself bc she cant get it down and I dont really have the patience for her to get it"
                            I might be totally off base, but I believe the man was entertaining the idea of getting rid of the gixxer if a solution for you on the back couldn't be found. That's love lady! I have no doubt that he wants you riding with him on any bike he might be on, as much as he can get you on the bike.

That being said I'm happy to hear your getting your bike fixed up. I'd really love it if Tim and I could hook up for rides with you and Mark. It could be like a play date for the little Ninja 250s!
                            Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Did someone mention/ask if she had tried putting her hands on the tank?

n/m: saw that he mentioned it. Carry on

Comment

Originally posted by beherenow71 View Post
                                Did someone mention/ask if she had tried putting her hands on the tank?

n/m: saw that he mentioned it. Carry on
                                The few times that I have rode the GSXR that's what I do. I just dont like it bc I'm used to having my hands behind me holding onto the grab bar on the Kat. Eh I'll get used to it.
                                Badfaerie - Thats one of his dream bikes! I know he wont get rid of the gix and I'm not asking him to. I really do love that bike; it's badass! I just want to be better on it, but if not then that'll be his solo bike which is not a problem. He's still thinking about keeping the Kat and putting the B-12 in it.
                                I would love to do that. The only people I know that ride are his friends & people I know that have cruisers!
                                On a side note...I called Wheelers and he said the paint is drying and he want to put some gas in the tank and see how it holds up then it'll be ready so I'll have it back tomorrow if everything goes well.
                                The Table-your right I was just more or less poking fun at him!
                                Gixerkat- I dont want one! I have other plans...

Comment

Working...
                                X