No announcement yet.
X

good ST bikes ???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want a '10 Concours 10 with abs and traction control. I have the $ (my stocks alone are worth $17000, thanks to the lastest run up!), the space in the garage, the time to enjoy it, but there is something else I have that stands between that bike ending up in my garage...
    My wife!
    Yup, I need the a-ok from her. I endured a poo storm when she came home 12 years ago and saw a '91 Katana 1100 (w/ 4100 miles) in the garage. Geez, I still have the same bike! I have that bike longer than most people have had their wife!
    I let my wife spend $6K on a tummy tuck last month, she always wanted one and she wants to look hot (she does!) on her cruises this summer, wearing bikinis, so that is my one big bargaining chip. I just need the right words to use to get the OK.
    As for my current bike, despite it being in excellent shape, the NADA value calls it "vintage" with a value of only around $2K. I think I'll just hang onto for another 12 years, gives me an excuse to fart around on this board!

Comment

What you might consider is a late model Ducati ST3 or ST4, either ABS or not and S or not. Their still new enough to be modern, have a 1000cc L-twin power, yet may be out of warranty so that you can do your own maintenance. However, the maintenance would as fequent as the Katana, about 7,500 miles for a valve check and I can't remember what it is for the timing belt replacement, 12,000 miles?. The ST3 (3 valve) is suposed to be easier to maintain as opposed to the ST4 (4 valve) from the research I've done.
      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

their are quite a few of those st3's around here too
        Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
        Tony
        94 Katana 600

Comment

Ducati is sweet
          -100% JEDI-

Comment

i went riding around the valley with a guy on a zrx 1200 ... i didn't know bikes could move so quick! i couldn't keep up on the straights my poor 600 just didn't have enough in her. thank fully the guy riding had recently low sided and was afraid to lean too much so i caught up pretty quick in the twisty bits. unfortunately there wasn't much for twisty bits in the valley where we were heading

Today was the first time i have EVER felt the kat needed a bigger motor while riding solo!

2 up the 600 sucks but solo it's usually enough to keep up.... till today.
            Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
            Tony
            94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
              solo it's usually enough to keep up.... till today.

Last edited by LAsunbird86; 04-26-2010, 08:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
                I want a '10 Concours 10 with abs and traction control. I have the $ (my stocks alone are worth $17000, thanks to the lastest run up!), the space in the garage, the time to enjoy it, but there is something else I have that stands between that bike ending up in my garage...
                My wife!
                Yup, I need the a-ok from her. I endured a poo storm when she came home 12 years ago and saw a '91 Katana 1100 (w/ 4100 miles) in the garage. Geez, I still have the same bike! I have that bike longer than most people have had their wife!
                I let my wife spend $6K on a tummy tuck last month, she always wanted one and she wants to look hot (she does!) on her cruises this summer, wearing bikinis, so that is my one big bargaining chip. I just need the right words to use to get the OK.
                As for my current bike, despite it being in excellent shape, the NADA value calls it "vintage" with a value of only around $2K. I think I'll just hang onto for another 12 years, gives me an excuse to fart around on this board!
                Maybe it's time for the 'nickles and dimes' routine. Go three months of having to "fix" a lot of little piddley stuff on the Big Kat. You know, it's probably about time for a new set of brake lines, then you can have an electrical problem, followed by a leaky gasket somewhere that's causing the Kat to have "little accidents" on the driveway... At the end of the third month (and a half dozen or so "nickle and dime" problems), the starter will "act up" (the mechanic you "talked to" said that cost of repairs can be put off for a month or so when it really goes bad, but it's going to be about $300 -500 to replace it).

If she doesn't suggest that maybe it's time to get a new bike and sell the old one within a day or two of you fretting over it, I will be very surprised.

p.s. To anyone who thinks this is just wrong... Don't judge me. If you think that women don't use their own 'wicked wyles' to get what they want, you're fooling yourself.
                "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

i already have a 1052 in the garage to put in.

Originally posted by VifferJim View Post
                  Maybe it's time for the 'nickles and dimes' routine. Go three months of having to "fix" a lot of little piddley stuff on the Big Kat. You know, it's probably about time for a new set of brake lines, then you can have an electrical problem, followed by a leaky gasket somewhere that's causing the Kat to have "little accidents" on the driveway... At the end of the third month (and a half dozen or so "nickle and dime" problems), the starter will "act up" (the mechanic you "talked to" said that cost of repairs can be put off for a month or so when it really goes bad, but it's going to be about $300 -500 to replace it).

If she doesn't suggest that maybe it's time to get a new bike and sell the old one within a day or two of you fretting over it, I will be very surprised.

p.s. To anyone who thinks this is just wrong... Don't judge me. If you think that women don't use their own 'wicked wyles' to get what they want, you're fooling yourself.

lol that's a great. i like it.
                  Tony
                  94 Katana 600

Comment

I bet Vifferjim has already used that plan!i was thinking of using a combination of things, starting with how my wee arthritic hands can't take the buzz of the katana and that I am not getting any younger, etc. Plus, I'll use the vifferjim strategy!

Comment

• definitely spirnt st. or the new sprint gt

Comment

• There are lots of strategies/options for getting a different bike. There are two philosophies behind my decisions-

1.) It is better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

2.) I love you, but if you can't abide my passions- you're going to have to be angry.

I'm sure we all (or most of us) have been through the right of passage; you know, the one where you arrive on a bike and her head blows right the **** up. It's like getting braces, or working overtime...some things just suck- but are worth it.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
                        -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

• Good luck with that one!

Comment

• Originally posted by XRider View Post
                            definitely spirnt st. or the new sprint gt
                            I do like the looks of the new Sprint GT.
                            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

• I traded my '06 600 Kat in on a '07 SV1000S about 2 months ago with 0 miles on it. With 1500 miles on it now, the stock seat sucks . Got a factory gel set alittle better but not much & it definetly needs handel bar risers, alittle hard on the writs . I'm around 6'1"-2". Except 4 more power than the Kat, I like the Kat better. My opion differs on V-Twins though. I never road 1 untill this bike and I don't like the power curve (not as smooth on the bottom end) or the exhaust sound, it sound like a crusier bike, not sporty at all even with the Yosh pipe I put on it. I do like haveing FI, but other than starting from cold (choke) I don't need it or notice a difference. Even though the suspention is better, bigger rear tire, steering stabilizer & better brakes the Katana felt way more stable at all speeds, 50lbs more & longer wheelbase seem 2 make a big difference. TEST DRIVE BEFORE U BUY

Update, 5,000 miles now. I like the power. I put a Yosh 3/4 single carbon pipe system which droped about 19.5 lbs. bringing wet weight around 450lbs. & a fuel controler that made the power band more I-4 like, but I still prefer the sound/ smoothness of a I-4. no handle bar risers yet which I think would fix all comfort issues, still unconfortable after 45 min. ride. I should have just put a Bandit 1200 motor on the Kat. I like cheap insurence & the looks of the bike though.

I under stand why some one might prefer V-twin 2 I-4 though, I rode a Hayabusa recently and it feels like a moped on the bottom end.
                              Last edited by Blackysheldon; 03-24-2012, 06:48 PM.

Comment

• I'll offer my thoughts

VFR!!! I mean I'm partial though....To me it's is AWESOME!!!!! I paid $6,200 for my 6th Gen, with 3,500 miles on the clock. But i've saw 6th gens for sale on vfrdiscussion.com for ~3-$5,000 with a few more miles on the clock. But reviews show these bikes topping 100,000 miles! Very awesome bike....100hp, you'll love the FI and VTEC!! V4 sounds bad as a mo fo with pipes.
                                I going to be putting a gutted OEM exhaust on my VFR tonight going to pick it up in about an hour!!

I mean just listen
                                [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axmo-a5iKHw"]YouTube- Honda VFR 800 Vtec Exhaust modificated[/ame]

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                X