No announcement yet.
X

good ST bikes ???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm 6'1 and have super long legs... i can flat foot anything.
    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
    Tony
    94 Katana 600

Comment

what about an RF? Aren't they kind of "tourey"?

Comment

rf's look cool and that's tthe only appeal they have to me really...
        they aren't FI and they are super rare round these parts.
        Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
        Tony
        94 Katana 600

Comment

Good point, I completely forgot they are carb'd.

FI is at the top of my list on the next bike too.

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
            Been thinking more about it lately and i think i'm gonna test ride a bmw r1200gs adventure . i'm gonna rent one for a day and see how i like it. go anywhere do anything .... literally... that's got appeal to me.

vstrom has also moved up on my list. (is this comfortable?)
            Starting to look at bikes otside of $5k budget.. R1200GS Adv are heavy bikes, F800GS is the real go anywhere bike with similar (if not better) power to weight ratio for go anywhere, do anything.

VStrom are decent bikes for long distance touring, suspension is the weak spot. I have hard time getting over its looks.

rf's look cool and that's tthe only appeal they have to me really...
            they aren't FI and they are super rare round these parts.
            IMO, FI doesn't really make a big difference.
            If you park the bike at high altitude overnight or longer, it might be easier to start, but other than that I don't see FI having significant advantage over well tuned carbs.

Comment

I've had quite a few moments where my carb'd bike wants to stall or fouls a plug when i'm riding... it doesn't stop me from riding it.... it just makes things difficult. FI bikes are a little more refined that way
              Tony
              94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by "K" View Post
                Starting to look at bikes otside of $5k budget.. R1200GS Adv are heavy bikes, F800GS is the real go anywhere bike with similar (if not better) power to weight ratio for go anywhere, do anything.

VStrom are decent bikes for long distance touring, suspension is the weak spot. I have hard time getting over its looks.

IMO, FI doesn't really make a big difference.
                If you park the bike at high altitude overnight or longer, it might be easier to start, but other than that I don't see FI having significant advantage over well tuned carbs.

you think the f800gs is a better idea? i haven't ridden either so i wouldn't know but what do u think makes it better, may i ask?
                Tony
                94 Katana 600

Comment

Compared to R1200GS Adv., the F800GS have less weight, better power to weight ratio, no shaft drive (R12xx series have known issues with rear drive overheating),... but still overpriced IMO.

Last edited by "K"; 04-22-2010, 08:16 PM.

Comment

ah... idk I've never had a belt drive bike, and to be honest i think I'd like the shaft drive. power to weight ratio isn't really a big deal to me considering I'm not #46 on the grid. but the r12xxgs has about 100hp which is good enough for me and a passenger.

the problems I've read about on the f800gs is budget suspension. (same with the vstrom.) but I'm defiantly still looking that direction.
                    Tony
                    94 Katana 600

Comment

Now don't be getting a Beemer. We'll all have to make fun of you and call you names! (Like geezer!) Besides, have you looked at the cost of parts and service? GOOD GRIEF!
                      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

ah... idk I've never had a belt drive bike, and to be honest i think I'd like the shaft drive. power to weight ratio isn't really a big deal to me considering I'm not #46 on the grid. but the r12xxgs has about 100hp which is good enough for me and a passenger.

the problems I've read about on the f800gs is budget suspension. (same with the vstrom.) but I'm defiantly still looking that direction.
                        Hmm.. F800GS is chain drive.. shaft drive loose lots of engine power output compared to chain.. 100hp would still be sluggish if you have poor power to weight ratio... especially if you want a go anywhere, do anything moto..

There is too much to read about motos, I rather take a spin on motos that I'm interested in and get a feel for myself. I'm just offering my experience riding both R1200GS Adv and F800GS as a go anywhere, do anything moto... neither one is close to $5000 budget though.

Comment

5000 budget is gone now ... Ive been saving for a new bike for so long Ive saved past my budget.

the problem is that i want every bike i see. and i can't narrow it down very easily, u know.

i plan on renting each one of the beemers and maybe taking the adventure school course they teach( just for fun .... and the 2000 mile ride out to it) to get a better feel for the bikes they make.

it seems like every other month i'm looking for something new in my bike of choice so i'm waiting to see if my dual sport phase ends or not.
                          Tony
                          94 Katana 600

Comment

Save up enough to get the new Ducati Multistrudel, 150 horses in the same weight as the Vstrom 650.

Then let me know how it is. It's nice. Too expensive, though.
                            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                              Save up enough to get the new Ducati Multistrudel, 150 horses in the same weight as the Vstrom 650.

Then let me know how it is. It's nice. Too expensive, though.
                              I test rode the KTM Duke 990 and 690 Enduro at them eastcoast demo day earlier this month. If I were looking for a bike I'd place a KTM 990 Duke or Supermoto T (which has better torque) well ahead of Ducati Multistrada.. less expensive, too.
                              Last edited by "K"; 04-23-2010, 12:08 PM.

Comment

I love ducati and would love to ride the multi 1200 but i have heard brand new bikes are like O.S.'s .... don't buy the first years new product wait 2 years until they can work out the kinks in the system.

I'd like to say i have enough money for a Multi 1200 ... but I'd be lying.

i haven't really been looking at KTM much but i hear they are really good and reliable. i haven't found very many adventure ktms around here so they are a lil hard to come by. while gs's were bought by all the yuppies a few years back and can be found for sale really cheap with only a few trips to the cafe and back on the OD.

i'm almost temped to just turn the kat into a dual purpose!
                                Tony
                                94 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                                X