X

Buell 1125R Test Ride

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buell 1125R Test Ride

I was out taking advantage of the last good riding day of the year before putting the Kat away for the winter and I found myself in the showroom of Western Reserve HD/Buell in Mentor.

I cannot remember the fellows name, but he owns one of the several 1125R's on the floor. He noticed I rode in on a sport bike and figured I was interested in the Buells. After a little talk, I mentioned that I wouldn't be buying before next summer as I still am paying on the Katana. He offered to let me have a test ride, and I said that would be great.

Ergonomics:

Outside, the 1125R fired right up and the V-Twin rumble was very different than the Kat or the Ducati S4R Monster I tested last year. Throwing a leg over, the shorter wheel base is immediately apparent, but the overall riding position felt very familiar compared to the Katana. The reach to the bars was actually a bit shorter, and the pegs were a bit higher, which I prefer. I usually ride on the balls of my feet with my ankle flexed to raise my knees, I would prefer the Katana pegs to be an inch or so higher. The Buell pegs were more where I like them. The only part of the riding position I didn't like, is that the seat is higher in relation to the bars, shifting more weight onto your arms. It didn't bother my wrists at all during the 30-45 minute ride, but my shoulders and upper back became a little tense from supporting more weight (or maybe just from holding on for dear life, but I will get to that in a minute). I imagine I would easily get accustomed to the position the same way I had to get used to the Katana, or else I would switch to handlebars like the 1125CR has to raise the grips. Doing that and a gel seat would probably make it more comfortable than the Katana. Yes, the seat was a little firm as well. The Kat felt plush by comparison when I got back on it.

The Ride:

First off, the people at Western Reserve HD are awesome. They are into the Buell line more than most HD dealers I've seen, they are Buell riders and it shows. They were happy to let me take the bike for an extended ride. They suggested a route which would take about 20 minutes, get me some freeway and city riding but then said, "if you want some twisties, you can just continue south into the country for a while". Just great.

I had heard a lot about the fuelling problems, so I paid close attention to how the bike handled at low revs. The 1125R launched easily at a stop. I expected to stall it a couple of times getting used to the throttle, but the throttle is really accurate and easy to modulate. I never stalled it or overreved it getting a launch. There is a lot of shove available RIGHT NOW if you want it, but only if you ask for it. The twist grip seems to be calibrated specifically for street riding. It actually handled great going slow. The slow speed fuelling problems seem to be totally fixed. The bike was totally happy cruising at 3000 rpm in 35 mph zones. It became snatchy riding through a school zone at 25 in second gear and about 2500 rpm, but my carbed Katana does exactly the same thing, and smoothing out the throttle application eliminated the lurching.

On the highway, at higher revs, the bike is smooth, with way too much acceleration available. Ton up speeds are only a quarter twist away. I was too timid to whack the throttle open enough to get a wheelie, but I definitely felt the front get light under hard acceleration. Unlike the Monster S4R, the 1125R is less prone to wheelie, which is a good thing if your goal is to go fast, but it has more than enough power to pull it up if you want.

With all the power there and the awesome V-Twin torque, I was surprised that the thing that impressed me most was the suspension. The ride was taut, but very well set up for the street. It soaked up bumps far better than the softer sprung Katana, making the ride very comfortable while still feeling sporty. The steering was accurate like a laser. Just turning corners in traffic were a pleasure, because the bike went exactly where I intended, no mid-corner corrections to account for the wallowing suspension like the Kat.

On the brakes, with light pressure, they are a bit weak stopping like the Katana, but at 90 plus on the highway, I gave it the habitual four fingered grab I usually have to use...boys, meet airbox cover. Squish. Not painful, but attention getting. The brakes become very grabby if you just grab a handful, but they ARE effective!

The only previous criticism of the bike (besides the looks) that I can confirm is the heat issue. It was about 60 F out, so the heat was not uncomfortable, but about 20 minutes into the ride, I could feel the frame heating up between my thighs. I am sure at temps above 80 degrees, it would get pretty uncomfortable. Most people had said that the ECM reflash had solved the problem, but apparently not on this bike. I would want to try a 2009 bike before I passed judgement regarding this.

Final Impession:

I came away REALLY impressed with the 1125R. The power and the way it is delivered is awesome. The suspension is fantastic for quick street riding, and for a performance bike, it is quite comfortable for long rides. My only complaints were the pressure on my arms due to the riding position and the firm seat (both easily adjusted to or fixed), and the excessive heat through the frame. You might also argue against the looks, but it has grown on me and after riding it, I think it looks cool the way a Mustang is still cool sitting next to a Ferrari. It is definitely an American hot rod.

Dealers are running ridiculous specials on them right now. They list for $12k, but you can get a 2008 out the door for under $10k right now.
    Last edited by freight dog; 11-16-2008, 11:00 PM.

nice write up.... thanks!
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

:
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys. I keep thinking about what fun it was to ride. The heat issue may be the only thing to prevent me from getting one.

My local Triumph dealer expects to have a Speed Triple for test rides in the Spring. I will post up my review on that when I get to ride it. I am also looking at the Street Triple, the Monster 1100, and the Super Duke for good measure. Hopefully, I can get test rides on all of those.

Comment

Great write up on the bike

The seat sounds like the same problem I had with the R6 where it was on an angle that seemed to shove my guys into the tank and make the clipons uncomfortable. I sat on an R6 with a corbin seat and it flattened the seat out a bit to where you were in a nice nuetral position rather then what you describe.

I love the way twins feel in terms of low end torque and powerband. I recently sold my R6 for a 4th Gen VFR and the V4 is a unique feel in itself!.

Comment

Great review, glad you enjoyed the bike and ride.

Comment

I like Buells but im still iffy about them

Comment

Awesome write up! I think the bike looks a lot better in person than it does in the pictures.

Comment

Thank you. Excellent writing and fun reading.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Nice write-up, thanks!

I had heard about the heat issue too, but not about a fix.
                    -
                    -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

I kinda like'em myself.. but not sure if I'd ever own one.
                      sigpic

'95 Kat 600 (Sold)
                      '10 BMW S1000RR (aka Black Betty)(Totaled)
                      '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

In ur thinky box, steeelin ur dumz

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Comment

I think this one looks pretty nice.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Cool review. Thanks for posting it.
                          sigpic
                          1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

Great write up! Had a Buell Track day in early November. I rode a bunch of buells (probably WAY faster than a test drive will let you, hehe ~ 130mph) and I was very unimpressed by all of them... except this bike. It was awesome. It rode so well and comfortable for an aggressive street bike. The ergos were just about perfect. I normally don't slide off the seat, but it was just sooooo easy on this beast... I almost put my knee down with ease (which I haven't done on my own bike!). Great bike... great bike...
                            1989 Katana GSX750F
                            1995 CB250 Nighthawk
                            2004 YFZ-R6 (track bike)

Comment

The heat issue is common to all Buells, but as the motor gets broken in the heat issue gets much better, and the heat actually is better when the revs stay up a little higher. There are also some other things to take care of the heat, if you still find it bad after 5000 miles. From what I have read, ceramic coating the headers makes a huge difference, and there are also some heat blankets that can be attatched to the frame to help matters.

As to the suspension, it sounds like you got a bike that they took the time to set up for you. The Geometry on the Buells is very dependent on having the suspension setup correctly. IMHO, Buell offers what is IMHO one of the best suspensions and best manuals for suspension setup on the market.

The other thing about Buells, is that you will have to be associated with other Buell owners. They are to other riders, what riders are to normal people. And I'm pretty sure that we are the Mac people of the bike world.
                              Pics
                              Pics
                              No pics yet
                              Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Working...
                              X