X

Kat elders racing cornering advice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kat elders racing cornering advice

Excuse me for calling you guys elders, but you are riding 15 year old bikes lol, not that it matters (half of track day riders are on WAY too big, and too new, of bikes for their skill level)

when racing, racing not track days, should you place your full weight on your inside knee? (the peg on the inside relative to the corner). Theoretically this would result in a more inside, and therefore better, center of gravity. Most cornering gurus recommend shifting the weight to the outside thigh, which pulls against the gas-tank. Putting the weight to the outside may save your meniscus (knee muscle that can be torn easily in racing by placing too much weight on your knee when it is at a seriously weird angle=knee dragging), but are you getting the maximum cornering performance while using the outside thigh? In a racing=maximum performance situation, what would you guys recommend?

The reason the "gurus" recommend that is because if you weight the inside peg, it has the effect as pushing the bike out from under you. Can you say lowside? weighting the outside peg puts the weight on the part of the tire that has the most grip left on the contact patch of the tire, (a good thing). Or, here is another way to look at it, you're already hanging off the inside of the bike, by weighting the outside peg, you are controling the center of gravity through the corner as needed. Oh, by the way, some of the best in the sport started on a Katana. The one that always comes to mind (for me) is Nick Ienatsch. He, and his book are world class stuff. The Katana is still a wonderful bike, a classic, and in the hands of the right rider, say a rider like teddy, it's a weapon...

Comment

My bike is only 7 years old and I'm not that 'eld'...

Anyway...weight on the outside thigh/tank. you essentially want to 'pull' the bike over, then use the outside leg to pull yourself back across the bike to center. like superbike said, using your inside leg to put all the weight on the inside back will push the bike out from under you of sorts. dragging knee is a result, not a goal. it is simply a 'feeler' for how far over you are and once you get used to riding aggressively enough to drag said knee, you can gauge what your bike will and won't like when leaned over that far. if you are using your knee to hold the bike up like a training wheel, well, you're doing it wrong.

If you have never had any sort of performance riding instruction, I would highly recommend it for ANYONE.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by MotoKatana View Post
        ...when racing, racing not track days, should you place your full weight on your inside knee? (the peg on the inside relative to the corner). Theoretically this would result in a more inside, and therefore better, center of gravity...
        The mistake here is: the center of gravity isn't determined by which foot (or leg or thigh) is holding you up. It's determined by where your body (mass) is in relation to the bike. The only way to move the center of gravity to the inside, is to get your 'mass' from over the bike to beside the bike.

Comment

[QUOTE=MotoKatana;2273550]
          when racing, racing not track days, should you place your full weight on your inside knee? (QUOTE]

No. It's as much counter-weight as much as counter-steering. I'm not an expert, nor a racer, I'm just thinking of what I do and it's kept me above-ground for awhile now. Example...... on a tight rt curve..... my ass is off the saddle, but I place pressure on my left peg and feather the throttle/brake/downshift/upshift. Sticking out a knee and scraping either your toe or a peg is a pretty good indication of what your tires are able to do....... in a perfect world with no sand nor gravel.
          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
          ------------------------------------------
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Thanx guys!

Controlling the center of gravity with the thigh makes a lot of sense.

My next track day will include high preformance instruction. I was able to keep up with almost all the FI bikes in the intermediate class during my first last season.

The pre kat really is a great track machine, just wish we could get better tires than avon road rideres :/

Comment

Originally posted by MotoKatana View Post
              Thanx guys!
              just wish we could get better tires than avon road rideres :/
              you mean like the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II Rear Tire , Michelin Pilot Power 2CT , Shinko Road Race Slick if youre willing to squeeze a 160/60 on. if 150/70 is as far as you wana go then you still have good sport touring options from pirelli michelin shinko and others
              94 kat 600 RIP
              97 vfr 750 ride on

Comment

This is where, in my experience, having dirtbike or even hard atv experience helps. When your sideways on an atv in a left hand turn your basically hanging on the inside but your outer leg is really what keeps you planted an when on a dirtbike in the same scenario you generally have your inner leg sticking out in the air to catch if it slips out but your outer leg grips the peg an keeps you planted. Obviously its not exactly the same but similar concepts. I transfer weight somewhat abruptly on the pegs when transitioning thru a tight "S" turn to help snap it from one lean to another but once its over the inner foot always stays lighter on the peg. I think its also subconscious decision in the event of a low side you wanna get your leg out of the way ASAP so your not stuck or dragged by your bike
                94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

I weight the outside peg...
                  lately on the race tires Ive found myself coming into corners like some of the gp riders, sorta super moto style then put the foot back to the peg as I ease of the brakes and drop into the turn aiming for the apex, put more weight on the outside peg, aim for the exit and full throttle out. Add to that im a notorious trail breaker and often carry too much speed into the turns. the loaded outside peg just smoothens things out and u barely notice the bike sliding

WTF, the Avons suck, just a cheap Bias ply with hard compound
                  go with a good sport radial
                  Pilot Power, Skinko Apex, BT-016, Pirelli diablo Rosso II, Avon 3D US, conti sport attack, sportec M5,
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I've been practicing dragging knee and its still hard but practice is the key and gear of course.

Comment

Originally posted by KatOwner600 View Post
                      I've been practicing dragging knee and its still hard but practice is the key and gear of course.

One does one practice such moves in Florida?

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by KatOwner600 View Post
                        Are you practicing good body position, corner speed, and throttle control? Or are you simply sticking your knee out, pulling the bike over, and hoping it touches? Big differences to differentiate between there...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                        You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

This is Nick Ienastch's book. You can right click and save as (as long as it is available)

IMO the most important skills to ride fast safely is setting your corner entry speed and throttle control (rolling on the power smoothly.) All the other things may look cool, but don't guarantee that you will go fast or be safe.

There are race level tires out there that fit the Katana. Pirelli Diablo SuperCorsa SP (no sure if they were mentioned) come to mind.

Comment

Working...
                          X