X

Jennings Track day wrap up

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jennings Track day wrap up

So me and my friend trailered up 270 miles and stayed at a hotel the night prior. The place was Jennings GP in Jennings Florida. 14 curves in 2 miles. Nice exit out of 13/14 onto the front strech then turn one is a long sweeper to the left. Turns 7/8/9 is an S turn and can be tricky. We had about 20 riders there so it wasn't crowded. Only had 3 riders go down and they were minor. So here is how the day went.

Arrived at 6:45. Unloaded and set up. Had a flag lesson and the expert guys got on the track for a 20 min session. Man they were fast. Then they had a 20 min session for the intermediate guys. Next was a 25 min lead follow until the instructor was comfortable with your riding then you could pass and go at it. I took the first session really slow and started building confidence. After the first beginner session we were all added to the intermediate session.

Session two added a few more bikes and I found that I didn't really like riding close with others. More than likely it was because of my own cofidence level. You can do 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear on the track with a 1k but i chose to stay in 3rd all day and was fine. On the second session I was focusing on staying on my line. By the end of the second session I felt really good.

Session three was the last before lunch and I took the first 3/4 laps kinda slow as well. After that I started trusting the bike/tires more. I then was able to roll in a lot better and started draggin knees. Felt really good. Was turning some good laps for me. Started draggin around most of the good corners and all the way around turn one. Got about 5 laps in going great and hit turn ten. Was draggin hard and the back end let loose OMG. Let go of the throttle too much and the bike stood up and snapped and started tank slapping. I was able to ride it out and went off the track into the grass a little to regain control. Got back on track and went to the pits. After I cleaned my pants we had lunch.

The rest of the afternoon we had open track and came and went as we wished. It got HOT. It was 95 degrees with no breese but it wasn't humid. Tires were slipping a lot more in the afternoon and I couldn't get very comfortable. Was able to drag a knee when I wanted.

Overall it was a great experience. My best time was a 1:41 and the track record is 1:13. WOW.

Tires. I have Pilot Pures. They are a great tire for mountain roads. They are a decent tire for the track. I would have prefered a track tire. For me in Florida I will get Pilot Powers or less unless I am going to the track.

Would have been a better day if it were 15-20 degrees cooler.

Will post pics up when I get em.
    ...peaking from under a sleeping bag..."Hi, I'm Zuma"

I'm already in a club but we have Bombers, Fighters and Big Friggin Guns!!!

Man that sounds like fun! I've read that Jennings is a fun track. I checked out a video on trackdaymag. I would love to do a trackday there in the future.
    Jim.

Comment

I'm glad my next bike will be a 600... If only for the track riding. Using only 3rd gear gets old when on the track... Though it's really convenient to accelerate from 50-130 in one gear, I'd like to have some downshifting to do...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

I really wished at the Gap and on the track that I had a 750.

Comment

I agree with you Pacerman, from everything I have read, it's the perfect compromise between weight, power and size. If I am ever in the market for another track bike, a 750 GSX-R will be at the top of my list.

Comment

I did my very first trackday on a daytona 675... Was able do run 2'20" laps while using the on board lap timer...(the fast guys on street tires run in the low 2'00s")

When I did the 4 other trackdays on the r1 I never beat the times I set on the 675...

Less is more when it comes to my amateur skills on the track...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

On a second note.... Anyone want to buy me a new radiator for my bike. Aftermarket freeway blaster melted and poked a hole in the back....

Comment

Sorry to hear about the busted radiator. Glad you had fun though. Atleats you have the sense that some do not, and rode in your comfort zone. I know some ppl would think... TRACK, SHOWOFF, and end up crashing.

Maybe one day we can get together and ride again.
                R.I.P. CYBERPOET

***WE WILL RIDE TOGETHER AGAIN ONE DAY***

Comment

Sounds like a lot of fun.Makes me want to look into track day events in my area, though I don't think the pre 750 would make much of a track bike.
                  Still would like to get some instruction and give it a shot.
                  Richard
                  96 Suzuki GSX750F
                  89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
                  05 Yamaha WR450F
                  05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

It was a blast. Radiator repair will be $45 dollars to patch it.

Comment

I can't wait until I get a few years of riding expierence, then I'll try out some kind of track day.
                      Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

Thanks for the story!

Yea, that sounds like great fun.
                        I've got a '93 750 Kat ready for the track next year. Glad you talked about your tires as well. I'm comparing the good points of Pilot Powers and Power Pures.
                        Bill

Comment

Working...
                        X