X

Tire pressures and RPM

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire pressures and RPM

I realize it's winter in most places, but I am starting to prepare for this seasons drags. I bought my 96 750 Kat a few weeks ago to run the 1/8 mile at our local strip. What do most run for tire pressure to avoid spinning the rear tire? Also, how high can I tach it up for launch without flipping the bike or spinning? I know there are quite a few variables in that question. I am just looking for a general number and can tweak it from there depending on circumstances. I have no mods on the bike and will run it stock since its my first year racing.

I will be practicing the launch for a few months in a large lot before I hit the track, so practice time is not an issue. I will start small and work my way up.

TIA

My wife asked me, "Why don't you make love to me like they do in the movies?" So I did and she got mad. Evidently we don't watch the same type of movies.

I have found just slightly lower tire pressures are adequate. The Kat is pretty heavy and with stock gearing, I don't have much lifting or spinning problems at the strip. Bear in mind I am at 5000+ feet so HP is down, I can turn about a 12.5 in the quarter

Be careful practicing in a lot, I can easily spin the rear tire on concrete or asphalt but the strip is treated and you will have a lot more traction
    sigpic
    Pepe Bouchard

Comment

Originally posted by Marksf8 View Post
      I have found just slightly lower tire pressures are adequate. The Kat is pretty heavy and with stock gearing, I don't have much lifting or spinning problems at the strip. Bear in mind I am at 5000+ feet so HP is down, I can turn about a 12.5 in the quarter

Be careful practicing in a lot, I can easily spin the rear tire on concrete or asphalt but the strip is treated and you will have a lot more traction

Thanks for the info. I will take it into consideration when practicing.

My wife asked me, "Why don't you make love to me like they do in the movies?" So I did and she got mad. Evidently we don't watch the same type of movies.

Comment

Drop it to about 30 and go from there. Drag racing is a personal preference type thing, whatever set up you can get the best launches from etc...
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

For a drag launch, I usually sit at the light at 5k-5500 once the pre-stage is lit.
          get a feel for your clutch's "grab point" by using it to pull into the "staged" beam.
          Once both lights are lit I go to 8500 or so.
          When it's time to go, I hammer it and use the clutch to hold the engine down at 8k to 9k untill I can dump it without flipping the bike, then it's all shifting.
          As for tire pressure-depends on how sticky the track is
          Last edited by JHONNY_ICE_420; 02-18-2010, 11:34 AM.
          89 kat 750 turned kat 1157
          soon to be 89 GSX1157R
          01 bandit 1200 motor
          36mm cv carbs
          89 gsxr750 "dot" head (coming soom)...**** ebay
          89 gsxr750 cams (coming soon)...**** ebay
          modded yosh exhaust
          PPG Viper GTS blue
          EBC HH pads F&R
          Pirelli Diablo strada tires
          shovel chopped (I didn't do it, but I gotta fix it)
          ...and pods

Comment

With the stock clutch, I wouldn't go any higher than 5-6K launching....any higher you have a higher chance of smoking it, especially since you're running a 750. Get a Barnett clutch and lower the bike and you'll have no problem launching 8K-8500 RPM with no fear of flipping the bike.

As for tire pressures, I run 40 psi in both tires...but I'm running a 600 so it doesn't make enough horsepower for tire pressure to make any difference, traction-wise. I run a higher pressure to make the tires have less tread contacting the road for less rolling resistance. How much difference it makes, I have no idea....but it makes me feel better

Good luck at the track and let us know how it turns out
            02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
            90 GSXR 750/1216
            96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
            87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JimG4652 View Post

Good luck at the track and let us know how it turns out

First practice day is April 24th. I'll have a better idea how the bike will react then. I had it out last weekend for a bit since we had a break in the weather and found a nice straight, deserted road. Only took it up to 100, but the bike felt very stable at that speed. I dont think I'll get up that high in the 1/8 mile.

I'm really looking forward to getting to the track. I'll update once we get out there. Since its my first year racing I'm expecting inconsistent times for a while.

Comment

Working...
              X