No announcement yet.
X

1/4 mile times

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats a pretty quick kat. I would love to see what mine would run in a quarter but there is not allot of places where I am to test but mine is more of a daily driver than a racer anyways but still would be interesting to see.
    - 04' Kat 600 (my reliable bike)
    - 01' R6 (my fun bike)
    - 00' Cavalier (my POS daily driver)

Comment

Well I have already lowered, piped and jetted the bike. I have a friend who made me a custom exhaust which is 2 1/2'' necked down to the 4-1 header. I know I'm going to have to rejet to get the full capability, just hoping it will give me what I'm looking for! Don't have the big pennies for boring and internals...

Comment

^ Dude, you don't need big pennies to do internals.....

I bought a set of pistons and cylinders off of an 86 GSXR 750 on Ebay that I'm planning on putting in my 02 Kat 600. It will make my 600 a 750. I paid $80 shipped for the pistons AND cylinders together. All I have left to get is piston rings, wrist pin snap rings, and a cylinder head. I think you can do the same to your Pre, but I'm not sure......you'd have to do a search; I'm too lazy to do one right now Or you could PM Court93Kat, I think he did it to his Pre.

I've been going off of this:
        Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
        From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
        this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Check out post #6
        Last edited by JimG4652; 10-26-2009, 08:23 PM.
        02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
        90 GSXR 750/1216
        96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
        87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
        sigpic

Comment

Appreciate that info!!!!!!! I had looked up all the this stuff before but new(price)...That's why i said I didn't have the money...Yeah since the only real difference in 600 and 750 is bore, carbs n cams, it's definitely possible to turn 600 into 900's if you want to sleeve and go all out crazy! Gonna dig up sum more stuff n see what I come out with...I'll keep ya posted!

Comment

Originally posted by stretched600 View Post
            Yeah since the only real difference in 600 and 750 is bore, carbs n cams, it's definitely possible to turn 600 into 900's if you want to sleeve and go all out crazy! Gonna dig up sum more stuff n see what I come out with...I'll keep ya posted!
            Easy killer.....I don't think you can bore it to 900cc's. I could be wrong. But I like your enthusiasm! If ya find out you can go to 900, then I'll be the first to ask you what to do! Good luck!
            90 GSXR 750/1216
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JimG4652 View Post
              Easy killer.....I don't think you can bore it to 900cc's. I could be wrong. But I like your enthusiasm! If ya find out you can go to 900, then I'll be the first to ask you what to do! Good luck!
              I believe I've seen 955cc kits for the long-stroke 750's, but I'm pretty sure you have to resleeve, maybe even machine the cases. Definitely possible, though.

I would be a little concerned about flinging around pistons of that size on those little rods. The 600 rods (and the 85-87 GSXR750 rods) are pretty thin little toothpicks. I've never heard of one snapping, even with a big overbore, but it would give me some concern nonetheless.

The watercooler (93-95) rods swap right in, though, if you feel like splitting the cases, and they're supposed to be a bit stouter.
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Lol, I might have to rethink my previous post. I guess that would be the point where I would personally stop. Right now, I can see trying to get my Kat to 771 cc's because of the cost...probably $1500 if I bought everything new; I would hope to spend half of that buying off of Ebay, and hopefully less than that if I just stick to 749 cc's.....either way is definitely cheaper than a modern 600 SS.

Once you start getting into resleeving, machining, plus the cost of all the parts...AND having the greater chance of snapping a rod, it gets to be too much for me. At that point I'd just assume buy a purpose built track bike.

But it WOULD be awesome to see a 955cc Kat....I just guess I won't be the one to have it
                90 GSXR 750/1216
                sigpic

Comment

But it WOULD be awesome to see a 955cc Kat....I just guess I won't be the one to have it
                  Especially when it's much less expensive to just make it into a 1200cc kat..
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

APE has a piston kit for 750's to go up to 955...here is the link! I did say also you would have to sleeve it!

Comment

Why would you put all that work into a known crappy engine, instead of just slotting in a much better performing stock unit like a gsxr11 or B12...that makes no sense...
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

To each, his own...some people might be proud to bust a$$ wit one!!!

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                          Why would you put all that work into a known crappy engine, instead of just slotting in a much better performing stock unit like a gsxr11 or B12...that makes no sense...
                          I think the real reasoning, is that the old (85-87) GSXR motors are in much shorter supply than the kat 600 motors are. SO, since the bottom ends are essentially identical, it makes sense to just bolt on the top ends when you can find one, and you'll have a complete GSXR motor.

It's kind of like trying to make power out of a 305 motor, too. There's just so many of them hanging around, and they're so cheap, that it's tempting to see if any kind of power could be made from one. I think we've proven that it would be hard/difficult to make a lot of power from a 600 with the stock top end (head/cylinders)...... but the bottom end is definitely capable of it.

I agree though, if you're just trying to make it faster, this is about the least efficient way to do it!

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                            I agree though, if you're just trying to make it faster, this is about the least efficient way to do it!
                            Thats what I was thinking. I guess if you'd rather work on it than ride it
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Dreams and bench racing get carried away sometimes

My final thought: If you want to go....let's just guesstimate...low-11's to high-10's on a 600 Kat with basically a stock-type engine and you don't have a lot of money to spend, I say go with the 750 top-end. Any faster than that you're better off dropping an 1127 or 1200 in it....or buying a new bike.

It's always nice to dream though.....you know, having a stock-blocked Kat running 9's or some crazy crap. Just a pride thing I guess. And not liking money.
                              90 GSXR 750/1216
                              sigpic

Comment

got a 2000 kat 750 with 771 kit 86-88 gsxr cams 36 mik smoothbores, dyna ing ,after market pipe ,barrnet clutch kit...ect.......best time stock 7.49..............1/8 mile now 6.90 and i drive it to work rear wheel dyno at 110 hp at 1100 rpms
                                KatanaKline

Comment

Working...
                                X