electrical problem?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrical problem?

hello everyone
    i have a 2002 katana 600, when i turn the ignition ON nothing happens on the cluster and nothing works - horn, starter, turn signals, main light
    the clock is working and the fuel gauge is also up
    when i put the key in PARKING the back tail light comes up
    if you can point me to where to look for the problem ill appreciate it very much

thanks

Wow! No, I tried this, I replaced this (fuse). I will try to help you but, you gotta try to fix it first...try replacing the main 30amp fuse on the starter relay, left side of the bike. Test the battery, let me rephrase....have the battery tested, 90% of this problem is a bad battery. Show 12v means nothing, have it tested..
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

the little black box on the left side with a green cover - im guessing thats it?
      from a visual inspection (i pulled the fuse out and looked - very high tech...) it looks like the fuse is whole and no breaks in it, there is a spot for a spare fuse but its empty
      ill have to go tomorrow to auto zone with the battery for testing and ill purchase more fuses to try that

thank you for replying and pointing me in that direction
      Last edited by meair; 05-17-2016, 10:56 PM.

Comment

issue resolved

after changing all the fuses and testing the battery - still no go
        called a mechanic for an in home service and it was a burnt connection inside the ignition switch harness
        did a quick bypass and she is purring like a kitten again

Comment

My question, why did that burn..
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

i have no idea
            the mechanic that came was very friendly and we had a talk about all kind of bikes and jet skies (he works on both) and according to him it happens sometimes on those older bikes
            he used a piece of wire with two "tap splice" to bypass the plug on the harness and the bike came back to life
            ill post a picture of the fix in a few minutes

Last edited by meair; 05-19-2016, 06:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Loose connections allow vibration. Vibration of 2 metals on each other will cause Oxidization to occur. When that happens, it greatly increases the resistance and that causes heat. Heat = melted plug/damage and eventually complete failure.

Basically... Old wiring will do this if not given an occasional service of cleaning, tightening, and use of dielectric grease. It's a cause of many electrical issues for the Katana... from low voltage to the coils causing start issues, to over charging from the alternator due to low voltage input.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
              X