No announcement yet.
X

Coil lead voltage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I'm pretty sure my coil for my 1,4 cylinders is toast again. I haven't been able to really get out there and take anything apart. Like you mentioned, it's probably a short somewhere on the output side of the cdi. I did see smoke and smell burning electronics one wet day. I'm hoping for no rain/snow/wind tomorrow so I can at least check that coil.

Also, junker, do you happen to know spark plug wire lengths on the 89 750?

And thank you for your patience with my questions.
    Last edited by CLYNT BEASTWOOD; 11-20-2015, 01:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Yeah, I see your dilemma but, until you find that electrical issue you may only progress it to a possible burned up bike, Dyna or not. Once you find that you can go with a Dyna system, which isn't cheap but, it is better than a Kat ignition system.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

No, I fully intend on finding the issue before the dyna. I was just wondering if it was a good setup.

Comment

So, junker, I know you are planning the COP conversion. I have been checking into it and it seems feasible. I would like to try it. Do you have any advice on where to start? I would like to do it as cost effectively as possible. I've seen conversions for certain Hondas, is the setup much different?

scottsms.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, scottsms.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
          Last edited by CLYNT BEASTWOOD; 11-22-2015, 06:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

It's not difficult at all, hell, junk yard coils could still work. Wire them in series measure your ohms you need 3 ohms add a 1 watt resistor if needed. Build some brackets. Wire them to the existing coil wires. The COP I'm using are jaguar (ford), just because I had them. They will fire @9v, 12v is highly recommended. We found what the charge rate was and figured if they could handle 12,000 rpm without cutting into that time. We're ok there. Just need the new ignition system to be built, tested and shipped.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

By the existing coil wires you mean the leads from the cdi, right?
              Last edited by CLYNT BEASTWOOD; 11-22-2015, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Yes, no other way to trigger them. Unless you run a new ignition system, like Dyna.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Did you look at the link I sent you? Would something like that work?
                  Last edited by CLYNT BEASTWOOD; 11-22-2015, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Sure, if you get two sets. You need four coils. They are cheap at auto parts stores you can get four for that price. You'll need to get the plugs for them also. So $200 for everything. Like I said junk yards are good for these parts as well. Just bring a meter to test them. Usually 1 ohm give or take. You'll need to do some research on which coil you what and what the resistance of them are. No more than 1.5 ohm two wire coil, not the ECM coils (four wire)
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

So I'm guessing that new set of ngk''s I just put in her won't work?

Comment

No change there, oh!!! You need the plug terminal adapters back on. The little adapters that were screwed on the plug when you bought them.
                        Last edited by 92xjunker; 11-22-2015, 08:10 PM.
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

I bought ngk jr9c's they didn't come with those. They just have the screw on terminal. And where I live those are hard plugs to come by.

Comment

Hmmm, mine came with them. I kept those... I'd just fine a cheap set of plugs with that adapter. I'm not sure if you can get just the adapter.
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

I just checked amazon, you can buy ngk adapters for 6.88, I think that is each. Guess I'd be better off buying a cheap set of plugs at that price.

Comment

That's a lot for that little thing.. Just a thought stop by a bike or auto repair I'm sure they have those lying around.
                                spammer police
                                USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                                X