X

LED Headlight Conversion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Headlight Conversion

After a lot of reading and research I decided to take the plunge and I bought two of the Speedmetal LED kits for my '05 750 Kat.

My 1st priority was that the light had to be brighter than the factory light.

My 2nd priority was that the light had to function PROPERLY with the factory housing.

The final requirement was that the lights had to draw less power than the OEM lamps.

I am happy to report that it appears these three requirements are met with these kits.

Since I have my Kat apart for maintenance and to undo some stupid things the PO had done to her, I thought I would take a few pics and share here.

Speedmetal LED Headlight Kit : (This is a stock photo of the H7 kit. The H4 kit has 3 prongs)

Both power supplies mounted :

Right side power supply :

Left side power supply :

Right rear :

Left rear :

Headlights on :

Each kit included a piece of sticky-back tape to mount the power supply. I peeled the one side and stuck it to the back of the power supply for a little cushion. I used tie-wraps to hold them in place.

I had to trim two notches in the rubber boot to allow it to slip all the way on to the bulb housing.

The factory harness plugs directly into the kit's harness. I used some dielectric grease on them before I plugged them together.

The LED lamp has two LEDs that are offset the correct distance to allow the housing to properly focus the light shining outward. The cut-off is sharp and it is easy to adjust the headlight to see a bit further down the road, without blinding oncoming traffic.

Total installation time in my case (everything was already removed) was about 45 minutes.

I am keeping the factory bulbs under the seat until I have enough saddle time with these to determine they are going to be permanent parts to the Kat.

All in all, I think I will be much happier riding at night with these installed.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by B-Man; 12-01-2014, 05:00 PM. Reason: Inserted pictures and kit H7 / H4 note.
    2005 Katana 750

Looks simple, easy and effective!

Comment

Sweet, can you post back later with a longevity report and how you like them after getting some saddle time?
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
        Sweet, can you post back later with a longevity report and how you like them after getting some saddle time?
        I plan on it. To be honest, I have a factory bulb under the seat, just in case... But, because of the kit using the factory power harness, I could swap the bulb out in 2 minutes in the event of a failure.
        2005 Katana 750

Comment

not too shabby. How much was the kit?
          My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

$47.99 each from Cycle Gear.

They have the HID kit on sale right now...
            2005 Katana 750

Comment

so how ya like the mod so far?

Im an LED maniac..was it worth the 100 bucks? Are they really brighter and more effective? This has ME written alllll over it if so. haha. hope to hear back from ya!

Comment

Update -

Well, after 10 months and 6,XXX miles I can report the LED lights are still working perfectly.

One nice thing is that replacing all of the lighting on the bike with LEDs has allowed me peace of mind when using my heated gear. I no longer worry about too much electrical load on the bike. (Heated jacket, pants, boot liners and gloves for me; pants, jacket and glove liners for her)

I rode all winter and actually learned to enjoy being in 30* and lower temps - without being uncomfortable.

All in all I give them a big
                2005 Katana 750

Comment

Update -

The low beam LED failed on one of the bulbs yesterday. Fortunately the other low beam is bright enough that it didn't affect the lighting too bad. Both high beams still work perfectly.

I took the failed unit back to Cycle Gear and they replaced it for free. Not too bad I think - I bought them in December of 2014.
                  2005 Katana 750

Comment

Working...
                  X