X

1992 katana 600 starts in neutral but shuts off when it goes into gear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 katana 600 starts in neutral but shuts off when it goes into gear

Hi everyone i just joined and must say I'm very impressed with Kat riders. I just purchased this katana and it starts up and runs great but when you go to put it in gear it dies. I'm sure it's a switch somewhere and I'm sure i can by pass it but need help with which switch and location and wire color.

Welcome to KR!
    Side stand switch. (Kickstand) easy to test, there's only 2 wires that go to it. Trace them back until you see where they plug in, unplug them, and plug the 2wires from the harness to each other. You're jumping the connection. Try putting the bike in gear, should be fine. If so, try to establish why your switch is faulty. Could be the plunger is gummed up and not fully depressing when the stand is up. Or you may need to shim where the stand bolts in. If that gets loose it can cause this.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Is the side stand still down? If it is up, the switch may be bad.... shpielers got to it first.

What he said.
      1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

1977 RM80- My son's resto.... he's 3...

2012 Qigo quad- pink Camo for my little princess.

Comment

Yup sounds like side stand safety switch.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

If the po deleted the switch...let the bike warm up fully before dropping it in gear, or your clutch needs adjustment.
          why.......do I not believe you?

Comment

Just had this issue with my 96 KAT. thanks for all the good info!

Comment

Working...
            X