X

Disgnosing spark problems 04 750 katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disgnosing spark problems 04 750 katana

Hey guys, I have been looking for an active forum and seems I have found one.

Its not a bike, buts Suzuki powered and having a few issues and hopefully I can find inspiration and assistance.

I have an oldschool fl250 Honda (yeah I know ewww) odyssey, anyway the 250 had to go and an 04 gsx 750f was sourced I think that's the aussie version of the katana. engine was shoehorned in with a few mm each side of the engine.

Has been running but has since stopped. Its not sparking, there is power at the coil, it cranks and does everything it should except make the noise I want to hear.

I have generally worked on ford V8's but electricals have always gotten under my skin. does anybody have a troubleshooting procedure to follow, I have been searching the net for a few days and cant seem to get a consistent answer to what to check, where it is and what results I am looking for.

Hoping somebody can impart their wisdom on me so I can get back out on the tracks and have some fun.

regards

vulgarwolf

Test the voltage at the coils while starting, needs to be 11v or higher. I suspect the carbs are your issue, gsx carbs are finicky. They like clean fuel and the pilot jets will clog with minimal debris in the fuel.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

There is 12 volts at coil and the carbs are okay, its just stopped sparking.

Itook it off trailer, let it warm up for a few minutes. It stalled as there is no choke. Then wouldn't fire at all, fuel is okay, pulled plug and just no spark there.

Comment

Test the pickup coil.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I got myself a multi meter today and am unsure how to test the pickup, the guides I have read all seem to vary, some say crank has to be certain position, others don't, some give ranges of like 350-500 ohm, others have said 140-200.

I have been trying to find some sort of guide to methodically troubleshoot it.

Comment

Are you using the OEM ignition switch?

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Weak battery?
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Its got all the original bike parts including key barrel and ignition, complete loom just parts that aren't required are all taped up. it uses the original handlebar ignition and start switch. clutch sensor has been bridged as has the sidestand switch. Battery is fine fully charged. no problems at all cranking over at speed. I am tossing up between the signal generator not throwing a signal to the ignitor box, or the ignitor box.

Comment

the wiring that I have taped up is for the headlight switch and such, I found out that I had to have the assembly on that side of the bars connected to allow power to the starter motor. It has been running fine, however it had a recent rollover, it did start up after that, however now its deciding to not play the sparking game.

when I say taped up, my meaning is that all required wires which are important to the running of the engine are connected, then things like brake lights,indicators horn and such which are not required are taped up away

Comment

Well got ignitor tested at wreckers on a running bike checked out its okay, got a new signal generator from them. Got home took off side cover and fiddled, tested ohms again and got normal readings, checked dc current from the sig gen and there was some.

plugged everything back together and found a very weak spark, Threw new plugs at it, hit the start just for shits and giggles and it fired up.

I hate getting things fixed early in the week, because it means I have longer to wait to play with it!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X