X

Possible coil issue? need help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible coil issue? need help!

Hey everyone, Been a while since i have been on here. recently i got my bike running again after it sat for about 2 years as the starter relay went out on it. anyways i replaced it changed the oil drained the gas put some fresh gas in it with a little bit of seafoam and it started right up. put about 300 miles on it since then and then one day it started running rough like it was only on 3 cyl. i replaced the spark plugs with some ngk iridium and that seemed to do the trick ran great for about another 100 miles and then the same issue came back. i limped it home and went out a couple days ago and it wouldn't even start.. i pulled the plugs out and they were wet and oily looking so i gently wiped them down put them back in and got it to start up but it still sounds like its only on 3 cyl and is running rough. i shut it down did a little research. tested the coils and from putting the multi meter on both prongs that stick out of the coil i get about 3.5 ohms on each.. so that means they are good right? is there a way to test the plug wires with a multimeter? i dont have a spark tester. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Tsunami View Post
    Hey everyone, Been a while since i have been on here. recently i got my bike running again after it sat for about 2 years as the starter relay went out on it. anyways i replaced it changed the oil drained the gas put some fresh gas in it with a little bit of seafoam and it started right up. put about 300 miles on it since then and then one day it started running rough like it was only on 3 cyl. i replaced the spark plugs with some ngk iridium and that seemed to do the trick ran great for about another 100 miles and then the same issue came back. i limped it home and went out a couple days ago and it wouldn't even start.. i pulled the plugs out and they were wet and oily looking so i gently wiped them down put them back in and got it to start up but it still sounds like its only on 3 cyl and is running rough. i shut it down did a little research. tested the coils and from putting the multi meter on both prongs that stick out of the coil i get about 3.5 ohms on each.. so that means they are good right? is there a way to test the plug wires with a multimeter? i dont have a spark tester. any help would be greatly appreciated.

My first thought is that it's a carb issue, like a float needle not sealing, causing the bike to flood out. Not a plug or coil issue.

I would suggest you check your oil for fuel smell and or over filled. If either is the case, then I would resolve that first.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

thanks kreylyn, yes the oil is overfilled now and has a gas smell to it. any recommended carb repair kits?

Comment

Originally posted by Tsunami View Post
        thanks kreylyn, yes the oil is overfilled now and has a gas smell to it. any recommended carb repair kits?

Don't necessarily need a kit, just a cleaning. replace parts if they are damaged, but most likely it's just a sticking float or trash/deposits preventing a good seal on the float needle. It having sat for a while would cause that to happen pretty easily.

Once the carbs are cleaned and tested they are no longer leaking, then drain the oil and replace with new clean oil at the appropriate level.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
        X